How do firms decide what is "diversity?"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rad lulz

Re: How do firms decide what is "diversity?"

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:14 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
2012JayDee wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:[Well see that's what I didn't understand. I thought the purpose of these initiatives was to provide assistance to those who face/could face employment discrimination. It's not that I don't think she's "diverse" enough to add diversity. I just didn't think that was the point

You mean from people that don't thinks she's diverse enough?

You're misunderstanding my point. My point is that no one would ever suspect that she's anything but a white person. So therefore there would be no employment discrimination for a race/ethnicity reason, which I thought was the purpose of diversity initiatives. Apparently I was wrong about that.

Again, not the purpose of diversity initiatives.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
2012JayDee wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:[Well see that's what I didn't understand. I thought the purpose of these initiatives was to provide assistance to those who face/could face employment discrimination. It's not that I don't think she's "diverse" enough to add diversity. I just didn't think that was the point

You mean from people that don't thinks she's diverse enough?

You're misunderstanding my point. My point is that no one would ever suspect that she's anything but a white person. So therefore there would be no employment discrimination for a race/ethnicity reason, which I thought was the purpose of diversity initiatives. Apparently I was wrong about that.

Again, not the purpose of diversity initiatives.

And I believe you. I'm just saying what my initial point was. I understand now it was based on a misunderstanding of what these initiatives are all about.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:16 pm

IAFG wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
IAFG wrote:This is dumb. No one is forcing the firm to make diversity hires. They are probably really into her for her grades and are just happy they can check the diversity box while they're at it.

At median T2 at the market's biggest firm. They hire one 1L each year from my school for a "diversity summer associate program"

How do you know her grades?

shh, you'll put the flame out.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:17 pm

IAFG wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
IAFG wrote:This is dumb. No one is forcing the firm to make diversity hires. They are probably really into her for her grades and are just happy they can check the diversity box while they're at it.

At median T2 at the market's biggest firm. They hire one 1L each year from my school for a "diversity summer associate program"

People in my section were very open about their grades. Unless she was lying and saying her grades were worse than they are, but I don't know why somebody would do that.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:17 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:

People in my section were very open about their grades. Unless she was lying and saying her grades were worse than they are, but I don't know why somebody would do that.

Modesty, probably.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:Again, not the purpose of diversity initiatives.

So if the person isn't diverse enough, wouldn't it be reasonable to be upset with human resources for its poor attempt to manufacture a heterogenous work environment?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:22 pm

I have seen lots of people lie, and heard lots of false rumors about other people's grades. Not to mention seen people extrapolate on silly grounds, like hearing about one LRW assignment grade. I also know people who say things like "I didn't do that well" when they were top 20% or cry their eyes out over one B when the rest of their grades were really good. So.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:49 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Again, not the purpose of diversity initiatives.

So if the person isn't diverse enough, wouldn't it be reasonable to be upset with human resources for its poor attempt to manufacture a heterogenous work environment?

She is about as heterogenous as it gets.

Return to “Legal Employment”