HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:44 am

all help appreciated. I'm clueless

shitty undergrad, no WE, pretty poor interview skills that I hope to improve with practice.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Post by 071816 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:51 am

this thread = stupid

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:55 am

Maybe it's just me, but this seems unnecessarily conservative. I've heard rumors of people with these grades pulling V10...

Resolve

New

Post by Resolve » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but this seems unnecessarily conservative. I've heard rumors of people with these grades pulling V10...
He specified bad interview skills, bad undergrad, etc., though. It makes sense to bid conservative if you don't have mitigating factors to bump you up, like good interview skills, or relevant work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 am

Resolve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He specified bad interview skills, bad undergrad, etc., though. It makes sense to bid conservative if you don't have mitigating factors to bump you up, like good interview skills, or relevant work experience.
exactly. of course its possible to get a V10 with those grades. and OP can feel free to add some reaches to the bid list. but columbia medianish is what OP should really be using as a baseline, since 2H is a tad below median at H.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:10 pm

See http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=157420. I was this OP last year. I was a pretty good interviewer and went to an Ivy undergrad. In the end, I got 1 V10 offer and took an offer from a firm with a more appealing culture and practice groups in the V20. I also got a smattering of offers from the V40. So takeaway: don't freak out, but do your homework on the firms and your interviewers and practice interviewing!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!
OP here. Thank you, oh anonymous poster.
Q: Did you have WE?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!
Nope, went straight through. Science background though. Do you have anything else special going for you? A unique background, Fulbright, URM (although I'm guessing you would've already shared that)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nope, went straight through. Science background though. Do you have anything else special going for you? A unique background, Fulbright, URM (although I'm guessing you would've already shared that)?
nope :/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It might be slightly harder for you, but I'm willing to bet you'll still end up with a few offers from the V40. If you're feeling insecure, also prepare to mass mail. And just based on the fact that you didn't even see my threads from last year, you don't seem to be doing your homework properly. Look through all the old threads on TLS. Pay for Vault Gold access. Make an appointment or 2 or 3 with the same OCS adviser as you develop your bid list. Bid all NYC if you want to be safe. Whatever you do, don't just sit around in cold sweat. Be proactive. That's the best advice I can give.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abacus

New

Post by abacus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What if OP did have a Fulbright or some kind of interesting background? Does that kind of stuff 'add an H' or something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 pm

abacus wrote:
What if OP did have a Fulbright or some kind of interesting background? Does that kind of stuff 'add an H' or something?
Anecdotally, URM is adding a virtual "H"; a Fulbright or interesting background (say, demonstrating a strong international or corporate interest) probably doesn't do as much work, but it could certainly make it a little easier to sell yourself and your interest in biglaw or a specific practice group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote: It might be slightly harder for you, but I'm willing to bet you'll still end up with a few offers from the V40. If you're feeling insecure, also prepare to mass mail. And just based on the fact that you didn't even see my threads from last year, you don't seem to be doing your homework properly. Look through all the old threads on TLS. Pay for Vault Gold access. Make an appointment or 2 or 3 with the same OCS adviser as you develop your bid list. Bid all NYC if you want to be safe. Whatever you do, don't just sit around in cold sweat. Be proactive. That's the best advice I can give.
You're acting like he's bottom 10% or something. He's still around median at Harvard. People on this site are way too conservative sometimes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It might be slightly harder for you, but I'm willing to bet you'll still end up with a few offers from the V40. If you're feeling insecure, also prepare to mass mail. And just based on the fact that you didn't even see my threads from last year, you don't seem to be doing your homework properly. Look through all the old threads on TLS. Pay for Vault Gold access. Make an appointment or 2 or 3 with the same OCS adviser as you develop your bid list. Bid all NYC if you want to be safe. Whatever you do, don't just sit around in cold sweat. Be proactive. That's the best advice I can give.
Self-righteous asshole.

OP is bidding on all NYC firms.

And everyone knows TLS search function is shit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”