HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:44 am

all help appreciated. I'm clueless

shitty undergrad, no WE, pretty poor interview skills that I hope to improve with practice.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:51 am

this thread = stupid


Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:55 am

englawyer wrote:roughly, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=157843


Maybe it's just me, but this seems unnecessarily conservative. I've heard rumors of people with these grades pulling V10...

Resolve
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Resolve » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
englawyer wrote:roughly, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=157843


Maybe it's just me, but this seems unnecessarily conservative. I've heard rumors of people with these grades pulling V10...


He specified bad interview skills, bad undergrad, etc., though. It makes sense to bid conservative if you don't have mitigating factors to bump you up, like good interview skills, or relevant work experience.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby englawyer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 am

Resolve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
englawyer wrote:roughly, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=157843


Maybe it's just me, but this seems unnecessarily conservative. I've heard rumors of people with these grades pulling V10...


He specified bad interview skills, bad undergrad, etc., though. It makes sense to bid conservative if you don't have mitigating factors to bump you up, like good interview skills, or relevant work experience.


exactly. of course its possible to get a V10 with those grades. and OP can feel free to add some reaches to the bid list. but columbia medianish is what OP should really be using as a baseline, since 2H is a tad below median at H.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:10 pm

See viewtopic.php?f=23&t=157420. I was this OP last year. I was a pretty good interviewer and went to an Ivy undergrad. In the end, I got 1 V10 offer and took an offer from a firm with a more appealing culture and practice groups in the V20. I also got a smattering of offers from the V40. So takeaway: don't freak out, but do your homework on the firms and your interviewers and practice interviewing!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!


OP here. Thank you, oh anonymous poster.
Q: Did you have WE?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!


OP here. Thank you, oh anonymous poster.
Q: Did you have WE?


Nope, went straight through. Science background though. Do you have anything else special going for you? A unique background, Fulbright, URM (although I'm guessing you would've already shared that)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!


OP here. Thank you, oh anonymous poster.
Q: Did you have WE?


Nope, went straight through. Science background though. Do you have anything else special going for you? A unique background, Fulbright, URM (although I'm guessing you would've already shared that)?


nope :/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!


OP here. Thank you, oh anonymous poster.
Q: Did you have WE?


Nope, went straight through. Science background though. Do you have anything else special going for you? A unique background, Fulbright, URM (although I'm guessing you would've already shared that)?


nope :/


It might be slightly harder for you, but I'm willing to bet you'll still end up with a few offers from the V40. If you're feeling insecure, also prepare to mass mail. And just based on the fact that you didn't even see my threads from last year, you don't seem to be doing your homework properly. Look through all the old threads on TLS. Pay for Vault Gold access. Make an appointment or 2 or 3 with the same OCS adviser as you develop your bid list. Bid all NYC if you want to be safe. Whatever you do, don't just sit around in cold sweat. Be proactive. That's the best advice I can give.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It might be slightly harder for you, but I'm willing to bet you'll still end up with a few offers from the V40. If you're feeling insecure, also prepare to mass mail. And just based on the fact that you didn't even see my threads from last year, you don't seem to be doing your homework properly. Look through all the old threads on TLS. Pay for Vault Gold access. Make an appointment or 2 or 3 with the same OCS adviser as you develop your bid list. Bid all NYC if you want to be safe. Whatever you do, don't just sit around in cold sweat. Be proactive. That's the best advice I can give.


Harvard provides that for free I believe. At least, what I think I've been accessing for free through the OCS website has been Vault Gold.

abacus
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby abacus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!


OP here. Thank you, oh anonymous poster.
Q: Did you have WE?


Nope, went straight through. Science background though. Do you have anything else special going for you? A unique background, Fulbright, URM (although I'm guessing you would've already shared that)?


nope :/


What if OP did have a Fulbright or some kind of interesting background? Does that kind of stuff 'add an H' or something?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 pm

abacus wrote:
What if OP did have a Fulbright or some kind of interesting background? Does that kind of stuff 'add an H' or something?


Anecdotally, URM is adding a virtual "H"; a Fulbright or interesting background (say, demonstrating a strong international or corporate interest) probably doesn't do as much work, but it could certainly make it a little easier to sell yourself and your interest in biglaw or a specific practice group.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It might be slightly harder for you, but I'm willing to bet you'll still end up with a few offers from the V40. If you're feeling insecure, also prepare to mass mail. And just based on the fact that you didn't even see my threads from last year, you don't seem to be doing your homework properly. Look through all the old threads on TLS. Pay for Vault Gold access. Make an appointment or 2 or 3 with the same OCS adviser as you develop your bid list. Bid all NYC if you want to be safe. Whatever you do, don't just sit around in cold sweat. Be proactive. That's the best advice I can give.


You're acting like he's bottom 10% or something. He's still around median at Harvard. People on this site are way too conservative sometimes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS: 2Hs (fall sem.) and 8 glorious Ps: which NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Previous post was mine. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=160378. I was OP in that thread too. Gosh, I am feeling so helpful today!


Nope, went straight through. Science background though. Do you have anything else special going for you? A unique background, Fulbright, URM (although I'm guessing you would've already shared that)?


nope :/


It might be slightly harder for you, but I'm willing to bet you'll still end up with a few offers from the V40. If you're feeling insecure, also prepare to mass mail. And just based on the fact that you didn't even see my threads from last year, you don't seem to be doing your homework properly. Look through all the old threads on TLS. Pay for Vault Gold access. Make an appointment or 2 or 3 with the same OCS adviser as you develop your bid list. Bid all NYC if you want to be safe. Whatever you do, don't just sit around in cold sweat. Be proactive. That's the best advice I can give.


Self-righteous asshole.

OP is bidding on all NYC firms.

And everyone knows TLS search function is shit.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.