Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
newbie2

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012

Postby newbie2 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm hoping I will get 1-2 screening interviews, or else it's pointless for me to participate in the diversity fair. If I get lucky, I might even get a CB.

It's just that I need to get my air ticket soon to avoid the exorbitant price of a last minute ticket. A general sense of how fast CBs can occur, if at all, would help.

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 pm

What is everyone's take on the reception on July 27th? Is it worth going? Trying to plan my flight although it may be premature since we won't find out about pre-select until early July.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Evaly wrote:What is everyone's take on the reception on July 27th? Is it worth going? Trying to plan my flight although it may be premature since we won't find out about pre-select until early July.

probably useless.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Is living in the Bay Area till I was 12 enough of a "tie" to convince firms?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:05 pm

Anyone think these emails are signs that bid results may be coming out sooner than expected? Wishful thinking, I know...

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:25 pm

piccolittle wrote:Anyone think these emails are signs that bid results may be coming out sooner than expected? Wishful thinking, I know...

what e-mails?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Lasers wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Anyone think these emails are signs that bid results may be coming out sooner than expected? Wishful thinking, I know...

what e-mails?

The one about the SF District Attorney and stuff?

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:03 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Lasers wrote:

what e-mails?

Not a chance, I am pretty sure we'll have to wait till Monday July 2nd to find out. It would be nice to find out early, tickets to SF are expensive!!

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:10 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Lasers wrote:

what e-mails?

oh, those e-mails probably don't mean much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Lasers wrote:

what e-mails?

One firm asks me to fill out a separate application on their website. Not sure what that is for.

spaacecdt

Postby spaacecdt » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Went last year. I'll give you anecdotes based on my experience.

newbie2 wrote:I'm hoping I will get 1-2 screening interviews, or else it's pointless for me to participate in the diversity fair. If I get lucky, I might even get a CB.

It's just that I need to get my air ticket soon to avoid the exorbitant price of a last minute ticket. A general sense of how fast CBs can occur, if at all, would help.

From my 4 pre-select screening interviews, I received 2 callbacks.

Aug 6, 2011: Screening interviews
Aug 9, 2011: Callback 1 extended
Aug 10, 2011: Callback 2 extended
Aug 15, 2011: Callback 1 scheduled
Aug 16, 2011: Callback 2 scheduled

Edit: the week of Aug 15 was the earliest both firms offered to schedule the callbacks.

Evaly wrote:What is everyone's take on the reception on July 27th? Is it worth going? Trying to plan my flight although it may be premature since we won't find out about pre-select until early July.

Last year the reception was a lot of prospective interviewees and a collection of Partners from various firms participating in the Diversity Fair. There were also two firms in attendance doing resume collects and using those resumes to select interviewees for screening interviews during the Diversity Fair.

HTH

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lasers wrote:

what e-mails?

One firm asks me to fill out a separate application on their website. Not sure what that is for.

Just a stock e-mail, I presume. I got one from Nixon Peabody.

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 am

spaacecdt wrote:Went last year. I'll give you anecdotes based on my experience.

Last year the reception was a lot of prospective interviewees and a collection of Partners from various firms participating in the Diversity Fair. There were also two firms in attendance doing resume collects and using those resumes to select interviewees for screening interviews during the Diversity Fair.

HTH

Thanks, that's good to know about the reception. BTW, how fast were the decisions after CB? Do the firms make you wait until they do OCI and CB at your school before making the offer or sending the rejection?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 pm

newbie2 wrote:I'm hoping I will get 1-2 screening interviews, or else it's pointless for me to participate in the diversity fair. If I get lucky, I might even get a CB.

Edit: the week of Aug 15 was the earliest both firms offered to schedule the callbacks.

HTH

If I let them know that I will be in CA until August 1, do y'all think they might schedule my callbacks, if any, during that window? I think they might be less likely to do a callback if they have to pay for my travel from Texas.

Should I just skip the NY job fair and stick around a few more days? I'd hate to do that.

spaacecdt

Postby spaacecdt » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Evaly wrote:

HTH

Thanks, that's good to know about the reception. BTW, how fast were the decisions after CB? Do the firms make you wait until they do OCI and CB at your school before making the offer or sending the rejection?

I should say, I don't know if having employers do resume collects at the reception is normal. I just know it happened last year.

Re offer turnaround: I think it really depends on the firm and there's no one answer. I heard from one firm within one week of the callback, while I heard from the other after three weeks.

Anonymous User wrote:

HTH

If I let them know that I will be in CA until August 1, do y'all think they might schedule my callbacks, if any, during that window? I think they might be less likely to do a callback if they have to pay for my travel from Texas.

Should I just skip the NY job fair and stick around a few more days? I'd hate to do that.

Do not skip your school's job fair.

What follows are merely my musings, so take it with a grain of salt: I'm not sure that the firms will be able to accommodate such an early callback. All these firms are probably wrapping up their summer programs and planning their On-Campus interviews during this season. That being said, I can't imagine that paying for someone's travel to a callback would influence whether they grant a callback-- most firms, I think, know it's a part of the process.

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:18 pm

Is the bidding result coming out tomorrow, or midnight?

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:58 pm

ThreeYears wrote:Is the bidding result coming out tomorrow, or midnight?

It should be released tonight at 12:00 a.m. But is it midnight Pacific Time or local time? I go to school in Central Time but am currently in Eastern Time. Haven't seen anything this confusing since the studying the Rule Against Perpetuities with a professor who made sure always to have important meetings scheduled during office hours. lol

EDIT: 12:05 CST (same as my school) and preselects/rejects still not up. I bet it's PST.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 am

Perseus_I wrote:
ThreeYears wrote:Is the bidding result coming out tomorrow, or midnight?

It should be released tonight at 12:00 a.m. But is it midnight Pacific Time or local time? I go to school in Central Time but am currently in Eastern Time. Haven't seen anything this confusing since the studying the Rule Against Perpetuities with a professor who made sure always to have important meetings scheduled during office hours. lol

EDIT: 12:05 CST (same as my school) and preselects/rejects still not up. I bet it's PST.

How do we know these are coming out at midnight? On the timeline it doesn't specify a time (though it does for other things)...

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:47 am

Important Dates
Bidding/Application May 14, 12:00am to Jun 17, 11:59pm
Pre-Select Sign-Up Jul 02, 12:00am to Jul 08, 11:59pm
Alternate Sign-Up Jul 10, 12:00am to Jul 16, 11:59pm
Resume Review May 14, 12:00am to Jul 22, 11:59pm

One may not sign up for interviews that have not yet been awarded. Therefore, the pre-select sign-up comes out at 12:00 a.m., July 02, apparently PST.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:11 am

Perseus_I wrote:Important Dates

One may not sign up for interviews that have not yet been awarded. Therefore, the pre-select sign-up comes out at 12:00 a.m., July 02, apparently PST.

Oh, thanks so much for this - I never saw that info!

Anyone else super nervous for the results? I know it's more common to get nothing or just 1 screener at this thing than anything, but I am so curious to see who might be interested in me. Feels like a school dance or something lol

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:20 am

piccolittle wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Important Dates

Oh, thanks so much for this - I never saw that info!

Anyone else super nervous for the results? I know it's more common to get nothing or just 1 screener at this thing than anything, but I am so curious to see who might be interested in me. Feels like a school dance or something lol

Yes. For sure. I am from the Bay Area and see this as the best chance of getting back. Where did you hear it's more common to not get anything? That is frightening because I single-spaced my writing sample and did it on tax. :cry:

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:46 am

Perseus_I wrote:Yes. For sure. I am from the Bay Area and see this as the best chance of getting back. Where did you hear it's more common to not get anything? That is frightening because I single-spaced my writing sample and did it on tax. :cry:

Ohhh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to freak you out! I was just reading over past threads and it seemed like, of the people who posted, most people got one or two screeners and then there was one or two people with like twelve. No idea how it's going to go this year, though :) I guess we'll find out in about 15 mins. Good luck!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:03 am

T14, top 5-10%, 1L SA, ties

17 bids --> 10 preselects

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:06 am

Top third, CCN. Family ties to CA (but not indicated on resume) and working there this summer.

25 bids --> 3 preselects, 1 alternate. Rejected by all my dream firms too :( Still, I guess I can't complain.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:06 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”