Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WonkyPanda

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012

Postby WonkyPanda » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Uh, is it just me or did all the interview slot numbers just change drastically.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:24 pm

I just got the lottery chosen interviews have been scheduled email. Anyone else?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:24 pm

lottery up and i got a couple more alts from firms that finally posted their choices...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 pm

I got 1PS and 1alt. The PS is probably from the lottery.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got 1PS and 1alt. The PS is probably from the lottery.

actually, you can tell which is which. if it says pre-select, it's a pre-select. the lottery will still show "not invited" but there will be a scheduled interview showing up.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Lasers wrote:

actually, you can tell which is which. if it says pre-select, it's a pre-select. the lottery will still show "not invited" but there will be a scheduled interview showing up.

Wait, are you sure? I could have sworn that this firm was not a select for me and now it's showing that it is.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:33 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
Lasers wrote:

Wait, are you sure? I could have sworn that this firm was not a select for me and now it's showing that it is.

yeah, that's how it's for me at least.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:50 pm

anyone else get a pre-select today but cannot "accept" it? I have one that I just got today and it says "preselect" and there is already an interview scheduled, so it seems like I don't need to accept it, right? I cannot find a way to accept this one, I am assuming this is because the deadline passed and the system won't allow it. That seems like it is already confirmed, right?

*paranoid parrot law student*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:54 pm

yeah, I got one PS today that I don't have to accept. Question: is the estimated 2L slots column actually the number of interviews allocated to 2Ls? I saw Mofo has zero for both offices, which strike me as odd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:58 pm

thegrayman wrote:anyone else get a pre-select today but cannot "accept" it? I have one that I just got today and it says "preselect" and there is already an interview scheduled, so it seems like I don't need to accept it, right? I cannot find a way to accept this one, I am assuming this is because the deadline passed and the system won't allow it. That seems like it is already confirmed, right?

*paranoid parrot law student*

Not sure if it's quite what you're talking about, but I got a preselect w/Mofo that just says "preselect" instead of "preselect accepted." It's not showing a clickable date for the interview, either, so I can't see what time the interview is set for. I'm not sure if it's because I have an interview w/Latham already scheduled and they both have the "S" to show that "schedules share some estimated slots" or if it's a glitch b/c Mofo submitted after the deadline...

ETA in re: to the post above: I'm a rising 2L...I think the # slots shows what's currently available. So Mofo has zero alternate spots, whereas Wilson Sonsini should have 2 spots that alternates can grab (assuming they tagged ppl as alternates).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 am

Two thoughts and a question.

- It looks like you get a max of 10 interviews. I'm not sure if this includes alternates, but I'd assume it does. The system seems to bump you from the firms you ranked lower first if you've hit 10 preselects.

- If you got a preselect after the preselect accept date, if it's ranked high on your list, or if you aren't at 10 interviews, then they auto accept for you. I imagine if you don't want it you can always email registration. (My top ranked firm put in names today - hi Hanson Bridgett! - and I was bumped from an interview slot with a firm I had ranked further down when bidding because I had 10, even though I didn't/couldn't accept).

- Does anyone know what the "waitlist" sort feature tells you? Its one of the ways you can filter employers...

Edit: another guess at "2L slots" - how many slots they have for 2L summer associates? The #s showing (MoFo excepted) line up with stats on NALP for previous years hiring... (that's a total shot in the dark though)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Not sure if it's quite what you're talking about, but I got a preselect w/Mofo that just says "preselect" instead of "preselect accepted." It's not showing a clickable date for the interview, either, so I can't see what time the interview is set for. I'm not sure if it's because I have an interview w/Latham already scheduled and they both have the "S" to show that "schedules share some estimated slots" or if it's a glitch b/c Mofo submitted after the deadline...

Click on the "interview" tab...it'll show up there with times and rooms.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:- Does anyone know what the "waitlist" sort feature tells you? Its one of the ways you can filter employers...

For me it just lists every place I bid on but am not interviewing (no matter the reason).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Click on the "interview" tab...it'll show up there with times and rooms.

No cigar...doesn't work when I filter by "with interview," either. Maybe it's a glitch and I don't have an interview after all :\

RIPmitchhedberg

Postby RIPmitchhedberg » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 am

So if it says "alternate accepted" does it mean I got the interview, or do I not find that out until tomorrow?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:04 am

RIPmitchhedberg wrote:So if it says "alternate accepted" does it mean I got the interview, or do I not find that out until tomorrow?

That just means you accepted being an alternate. You find out whether you get the spot on the 23rd when the final schedule is released.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
RIPmitchhedberg wrote:So if it says "alternate accepted" does it mean I got the interview, or do I not find that out until tomorrow?

That just means you accepted being an alternate. You find out whether you get the spot on the 23rd when the final schedule is released.

How does that make sense? Weren't we all designated alternates at the beginning and by clicking "accept alternate" we accepted an open interview slot?

RIPmitchhedberg

Postby RIPmitchhedberg » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:10 am

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How does that make sense? Weren't we all designated alternates at the beginning and by clicking "accept alternate" we accepted an open interview slot?

I just looked at the email they sent out today:
IF YOU HAVE ACCEPTED YOUR ALTERNATE SELECTION:
I will run a scheduler on Symplicity to fill the remaining open slots for each employer on Tuesday, July 17. You do not need to take further action to confirm. Please note that open slots are extremely limited, so your acceptance does not guarantee an interview slot.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:11 am

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

just cause you accept it doesn't mean you got it. i think there are at least a couple alternates each firm assigns and so whoever of the alternates accepts it first will get the open spot(s). i think we find out on the 17th.

i guess it depends how fact you clicked accept? eh.

RIPmitchhedberg

Postby RIPmitchhedberg » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:14 am

Lasers wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

just cause you accept it doesn't mean you got it. i think there are at least a couple alternates each firm assigns and so whoever of the alternates accepts it first will get the open spot(s). i think we find out on the 17th.

i guess it depends how fact you clicked accept? eh.

Well hopefully it's just the four of us that watched the clock countdown to midnight. Doubt it though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:14 am

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am not sure if this is the right way or not, so last year's attendee can correct me if I am flat out wrong. But here is my understand of the system:

In theory, yes. But in practice, there are more alternates than open slots. In addition, more alternates may be available later on. So, when you accept, you will be placed on the alternate list in the order of how fast you accept. Then, if a firm have four open slots, and you are the fourth who accepts the slot, then your alternate accepted will be converted into an interview. But if there are only four spots, but you are the fifth, you will have to wait your turn for the next one to cancel.

ETA: damn, ppl are fast. Now all hope that I am quick enough is gone :(

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:25 am

RIPmitchhedberg wrote:Well hopefully it's just the four of us that watched the clock countdown to midnight. Doubt it though.

we shall see. good luck. if we don't get it, we know for sure there are some really, really fast people out there.

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:13 am

Any previous BADCF attendee know how far the interview rooms are from each other? My scheduled interviews are back to back with only 5 minutes in between, is that enough time to get around?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:08 pm

question for you guys -

i got a lottery interview with hanson bridgett, which is a firm id love to work at. through networking, i actually managed to set up a lunch meeting with a partner from the firm who went to my school (hastings) buuut i originally was planning for hastings OCI, and the dates he gave me to meet were july 30/31. Thus it's before hastings OCI, but right after the bay area diversity career fair interview.

so couple of questions questions: 1) should i mention to him in an email that i got an interview with his firm through the badf? 2) if not, should i mention in the interview that im meeting with a partner from their firm for lunch right after the interview? and then when i meet him, mention i just interviewed with his firm?

thanks guys

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:question for you guys -

i got a lottery interview with hanson bridgett, which is a firm id love to work at. through networking, i actually managed to set up a lunch meeting with a partner from the firm who went to my school (hastings) buuut i originally was planning for hastings OCI, and the dates he gave me to meet were july 30/31. Thus it's before hastings OCI, but right after the bay area diversity career fair interview.

so couple of questions questions: 1) should i mention to him in an email that i got an interview with his firm through the badf? 2) if not, should i mention in the interview that im meeting with a partner from their firm for lunch right after the interview? and then when i meet him, mention i just interviewed with his firm?

thanks guys

I would definitely mention it to him, in the tone of "I thought you might like to know, I was selected for an interview with HB at BADCF and I'm really excited! I'm really looking forward to our meeting but in the meantime any advice you might be willing to provide before my interview would be appreciated blah blah blah." Keep the tone as one of sharing good news. If he thinks of something he can do to help, it will happen. Just my two cents.

Return to “Legal Employment”