Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Bottom 1/3 MVPDCNG: 4 Pre-Selects, waiting on ~5 firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 am

I have two preselects that also attend my school's OCI.
Can I email them and try to arrange the interviews at my school's own OCI? I am in a T14 school from the east coast. Just want to save some travel expenses.
Is this good or bad? Does anyone have similar experiences? What should I say to them??

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 am

guess I'm a moron for not reading the front page of BADCF. Half of the firms I bid on still hadn't made their selections yet, but since I thought I only had 1 interview, I already declined it since I thought I only got 1.

This means I've turned down my entire schedule and won't be able to get any more interviews correct?

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:guess I'm a moron for not reading the front page of BADCF. Half of the firms I bid on still hadn't made their selections yet, but since I thought I only had 1 interview, I already declined it since I thought I only got 1.

This means I've turned down my entire schedule and won't be able to get any more interviews correct?
You might be ok, the email they sent us says: "If you wish to cancel your entire interview schedule, please click Decline for all invitations, and email me at registration@orrick.com. Please note: you have until Sunday, July 8 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time to complete your review of any interviews."

Since you might be getting more interviews, you couldn't have declined all your invitations. But it's worth an email to the organizer just to check.

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:02 pm

do we think that all the firms will make their selection by the 8th? this is killing me in terms of buying plane ticket and arranging travel plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 am

still sitting on none, anyone know if a generic cover letter could have done that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Have they organized a special rate for the hotel? Otherwise, does anybody have an idea as to a cheap but habitable place to stay? I'm not averse to taking the BART in/getting a cab on Saturday morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have they organized a special rate for the hotel? Otherwise, does anybody have an idea as to a cheap but habitable place to stay? I'm not averse to taking the BART in/getting a cab on Saturday morning.
Anyone interested in splitting a room? I am going to be flying in overnight and would dearly love to be able to crash in the hotel and then just roll out of bed, into a suit, and downstairs to my first interview. I promise not to be a serial killer.
Anonymous User wrote:still sitting on none, anyone know if a generic cover letter could have done that?
It might have, but I got a few interviews with firms who got generic cover letters from me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have they organized a special rate for the hotel? Otherwise, does anybody have an idea as to a cheap but habitable place to stay? I'm not averse to taking the BART in/getting a cab on Saturday morning.
Anyone interested in splitting a room? I am going to be flying in overnight and would dearly love to be able to crash in the hotel and then just roll out of bed, into a suit, and downstairs to my first interview. I promise not to be a serial killer.
Would definitely be interested. My friend who I was going to stay with is going back to school early. I'm female, though, if that matters. I don't care about who I share with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Siamsa414

Bronze

Post by Siamsa414 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Would definitely be interested. My friend who I was going to stay with is going back to school early. I'm female, though, if that matters. I don't care about who I share with.
I'm the person who posted originally about splitting - I'm also female and would be very interested in splitting. PM me for more discussion?

ETA: Anyone else also interested in splitting a room at the hotel is welcome to PM me also.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:24 pm

While we wait for more pre-selects to be released, does anyone know which type of attorney typically does the screener interview at job fairs? Does it vary greatly by law firms or do law firms consistently send one kind of attorney. For example, do most firms send mid-level associates? or partners? or partners on hiring committee? or a recruiter in the HR department?

Just curious what kind of audience I'll be addressing at the interviews. I know we are suppose find out the names of the interviewers 1 week before the interview but given the track record so far we might not find out until the day before, if ever.

newbie2

New

Post by newbie2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:57 pm

When accepting pre-select, are we supposed to pick an interview time, or let Symplicity do the scheduling?

When accepting alternate (next week), we need to pick a time, right?

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:23 am

newbie2 wrote:When accepting pre-select, are we supposed to pick an interview time, or let Symplicity do the scheduling?

When accepting alternate (next week), we need to pick a time, right?
I can't find a place to pick interview times when accepting pre-selects so I am assuming Symplicity does the scheduling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:16 pm

So preselect accept/decline deadline tomorrow and some firms haven't even finished making selections?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:39 pm

roughly top 20% at one of the bay area schools. 7 preselects and 2 alternates...anybody know if Mofo already selected and the list on the announcement page just hasn't been updated?

soupisgood

Bronze

Post by soupisgood » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Bryan Cave + Kirkland have been crossed off the list, if anyone is waiting on pre-selects from them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:45 am

I'm finding the preselect/lottery distinction a little confusing. Have interviews based on bidding (i.e., lottery-based interviews) already been assigned? Or are all the interview invites currently out there based solely on employers' selection of applicants, with lottery interviews yet to come? The timeline provided (http://www.sfbar.org/forms/diversity/20 ... meline.pdf) seems to indicate the latter, but the last e-mail Orrick sent out didn't mention lottery interviews at all. And to further complicate things, the e-mail said alternate sign-up would start at 12AM July 9, whereas the timeline .pdf set the alternate sign-up at July 10. If anybody knows what's up, the help would be much appreciated!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm finding the preselect/lottery distinction a little confusing. Have interviews based on bidding (i.e., lottery-based interviews) already been assigned? Or are all the interview invites currently out there based solely on employers' selection of applicants, with lottery interviews yet to come? The timeline provided (http://www.sfbar.org/forms/diversity/20 ... meline.pdf) seems to indicate the latter, but the last e-mail Orrick sent out didn't mention lottery interviews at all. And to further complicate things, the e-mail said alternate sign-up would start at 12AM July 9, whereas the timeline .pdf set the alternate sign-up at July 10. If anybody knows what's up, the help would be much appreciated!
I have the same question. The email they sent after the first pre-selects seemed to indicate that only people who got pre-selects would be entered into the lottery. That said, there's nothing else on the website that suggests this so I could be completely wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:36 pm

soupisgood wrote:Bryan Cave + Kirkland have been crossed off the list, if anyone is waiting on pre-selects from them.
Woot, K&E pre-select. Thanks for the heads up!

primetime2131

New

Post by primetime2131 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Hey all,

Is anyone still interested in splitting a hotel room? I'm trying to set up my accommodations soon, but def do not want to take on the hotel costs alone. SF is crazy expensive!

Oh and I'm a male, if that matters. [it doesn't to me]

PM me if you are interested!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 am

No apparent opportunities to sign up as an alternate yet, and the list of employers who haven't submitted choices is now gone entirely. Do we think this means all the selections are in? (I would be surprised if that were the case, as there were a lot of names left on that list; I think that if all selections were in, a note to that effect would likely replace the list of employer names, rather than having it disappear entirely.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No apparent opportunities to sign up as an alternate yet, and the list of employers who haven't submitted choices is now gone entirely. Do we think this means all the selections are in? (I would be surprised if that were the case, as there were a lot of names left on that list; I think that if all selections were in, a note to that effect would likely replace the list of employer names, rather than having it disappear entirely.)
Bump. Any thoughts?

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:44 pm

MoFo up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:52 pm

lisavj wrote:MoFo up.
Okay, seriously, fuck MoFo. This is like the fourth different way they have rejected me. They have always been my first choice but now I'm thisclose to leaving them out of my OCI bids.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lisavj wrote:MoFo up.
Okay, seriously, fuck MoFo. This is like the fourth different way they have rejected me. They have always been my first choice but now I'm thisclose to leaving them out of my OCI bids.
They listed a seriously tiny class size on the BADCF OCI page. I don't know why they reflect a much smaller class size in this career fair than in others (e.g. my school's OCI), but it's clear they wanted to have a very small interviewing schedule. I would have liked to get a pre-select from them too, but I knew it was a long shot with such a small schedule.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”