Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Evaly

Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012

Postby Evaly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Last year people had a thread going for this fair. I figure we could use one this year.

I can't figure out how to bid for more than 11-12 firms in the system. It seems that one has to upload the required document to bid for a firm. Most firms require a cover letter + resume + transcript. But the system only takes 10 documents total. So how can I bid for 25 firms when I could only have 8 unique cover letters loaded into the system?

How are you guys doing this? Write generic 1 cover letter? Or is there some way around the doc limit or a way to bid without having to upload the required documents?

thegrayman

Re: Bay Area Diversity Fair 2012

Postby thegrayman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 pm

Trying to figure this out myself, hopefully someone will chime in

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 pm

thegrayman wrote:Trying to figure this out myself, hopefully someone will chime in

I also sent an email to the organizers, if I hear back tomorrow I'll post here.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:35 am

Thank you! In the middle of doing my bids as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:55 am

you can delete your documents (the cover letters) after you use them for other bids, and then upload more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 am

For pre-screeners, do they send the firms the writing sample too or just resumes? I never got around to fixing mine up once LRW ended. :oops:

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:you can delete your documents (the cover letters) after you use them for other bids, and then upload more.

When you bid, are the documents automatically sent to the firms immediately?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:30 am

Nvm. I think I should have looked into this more than 48 hrs before. :(

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:you can delete your documents (the cover letters) after you use them for other bids, and then upload more.

I tried that and it didn't work for me. If I delete the old cover letter, for the firms that I already bid on the cover letter changes to the new cover letter automatically. For example, I upload and bid on Cooley, then delete Cooley's cover letter and upload WSGR's cover letter. Now when I check on my Cooley bid, it has WSGR's cover letter attached. :roll:

I think when you bid the material does not get sent to the firm right away. Rather once the bidding closes everything gets send out at once. You must associate each bid with the correct documents when you submit your final bids.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:56 am

I'm a little confused as to how this Bid/Application dropdown menu works. Why would I ever choose to bid more than 1 per firm location? Also, if a firm say lists two locations in one entry, then should I be choosing 2 bids instead of 1?

Also, I'm assuming that when there's "Other Documents" then they pretty much mean that we need to submit a CL? Why the hell don't they just make it a CL requirement then, we can't even submit it until we attach one anyways...

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a little confused as to how this Bid/Application dropdown menu works. Why would I ever choose to bid more than 1 per firm location? Also, if a firm say lists two locations in one entry, then should I be choosing 2 bids instead of 1?

Also, I'm assuming that when there's "Other Documents" then they pretty much mean that we need to submit a CL? Why the hell don't they just make it a CL requirement then, we can't even submit it until we attach one anyways...

The numbers are so that you can rank the firms, not that you're submitting more than one bid.

Which firms require "other documents" but don't specify which ones they want? Every firm I'm bidding on specifies if they want references or a writing sample, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:33 pm

ouch wow I am just completely clueless...did they explain that anywhere? So you rank 1-25 (1 is the highest?) on where you prefer to work or something?

I thought I saw others but at least the Arnold & Porter in LA seems to require something in the Other Documents section

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:35 pm

So are we supposed to just have generic cover letters for the ones that want one? Since after 10 it doesn't let you upload more...? :?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ouch wow I am just completely clueless...did they explain that anywhere? So you rank 1-25 (1 is the highest?) on where you prefer to work or something?

I thought I saw others but at least the Arnold & Porter in LA seems to require something in the Other Documents section

Oh, that's so interesting - they actually don't explain the system anywhere but somehow I knew that's how it works in a system that's at least partial lottery. Probably from reading threads on here.

And yeah, I see the "other documents" thing now. I would go ahead and do a quick cover letter for them just in case - or provide whichever document they are missing. I notice with A&P it says you should bring a transcript, writing sample, and references to your interview, so perhaps the "other document" would be a list of references? Doing that could be an easy way to get out of doing a cover letter ;)

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Has anyone figured out how to get around the cover letter deal?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:20 am

I've been deleting them after putting in my bid. Seems to be working so far. Anyone else having problems uploading a writing sample (exceeding the max file size)?

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:19 am

piccolittle wrote:I've been deleting them after putting in my bid. Seems to be working so far. Anyone else having problems uploading a writing sample (exceeding the max file size)?

Picco, I think you are right. I tried your method again and it seems to work. The system keeps the other pdfs submitted; at least that's what my bid list page shows. I never heard back from the organizers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:04 pm

I did a generic cover letter. :D Hope that won't ding me!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 am

The person in charge of the fair at my school claims that "Jewish" counts as diverse enough to participate in the fair. So I sent in all 26 bids. I grew up Modern Orthodox, so I guess I am diverse in a way. But will I get laughed out of the fair? I am white as they get, and Jews are, arguably, over-represented in the legal profession. I am originally from there, but it will cost a lot to travel there from flyover country, and I don't want to waste my time if no employers will consider hiring me from there. This could be my only possible chance to interview with some firms in which I am highly interested (O'Melveny), which don't come to my midwest T20's OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The person in charge of the fair at my school claims that "Jewish" counts as diverse enough to participate in the fair. So I sent in all 26 bids. I grew up Modern Orthodox, so I guess I am diverse in a way. But will I get laughed out of the fair? I am white as they get, and Jews are, arguably, over-represented in the legal profession. I am originally from there, but it will cost a lot to travel there from flyover country, and I don't want to waste my time if no employers will consider hiring me from there. This could be my only possible chance to interview with some firms in which I am highly interested (O'Melveny), which don't come to my midwest T20's OCI.

That's pretty funny. Jewish lawyer. Especially in SF. I don't think any firms will consider you as a "diverse" applicant for a second, but if your grades are good and you are from the area you might get a look.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The person in charge of the fair at my school claims that "Jewish" counts as diverse enough to participate in the fair. So I sent in all 26 bids. I grew up Modern Orthodox, so I guess I am diverse in a way. But will I get laughed out of the fair? I am white as they get, and Jews are, arguably, over-represented in the legal profession. I am originally from there, but it will cost a lot to travel there from flyover country, and I don't want to waste my time if no employers will consider hiring me from there. This could be my only possible chance to interview with some firms in which I am highly interested (O'Melveny), which don't come to my midwest T20's OCI.

That's pretty funny. Jewish lawyer. Especially in SF. I don't think any firms will consider you as a "diverse" applicant for a second, but if your grades are good and you are from the area you might get a look.

That's what I thought. It's an excuse to go, and hopefully, the employers just go there so they can get "diversity points" for participating, but in reality, they will hire whom they want. I'm also a military veteran and a former dairy farmer. I doubt today's formulaic PC world considers different experiences and backgrounds as "diverse" so much as checking a certain number of race and gender boxes. I suppose I could go as LGBT if I really have to. lol. Why don't they just specify "minorities" and define LGBT as a "minority" for their purposes? "Diverse" is far too vague.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's what I thought. It's an excuse to go, and hopefully, the employers just go there so they can get "diversity points" for participating, but in reality, they will hire whom they want. I'm also a military veteran and a former dairy farmer. I doubt today's formulaic PC world considers different experiences and backgrounds as "diverse" so much as checking a certain number of race and gender boxes. I suppose I could go as LGBT if I really have to. lol. Why don't they just specify "minorities" and define LGBT as a "minority" for their purposes? "Diverse" is far too vague.

Exactly. They aren't going to say, "Wow, your resume is impressive and your grades are great, buuuut we aren't going to even consider you because you aren't the kind of "diverse" we are looking for." But don't go as LGBT unless you really are... that could be very awkward if you end up getting hired by a firm and they wonder why you've suddenly turned straight haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That's what I thought. It's an excuse to go, and hopefully, the employers just go there so they can get "diversity points" for participating, but in reality, they will hire whom they want. I'm also a military veteran and a former dairy farmer. I doubt today's formulaic PC world considers different experiences and backgrounds as "diverse" so much as checking a certain number of race and gender boxes. I suppose I could go as LGBT if I really have to. lol. Why don't they just specify "minorities" and define LGBT as a "minority" for their purposes? "Diverse" is far too vague.

Exactly. They aren't going to say, "Wow, your resume is impressive and your grades are great, buuuut we aren't going to even consider you because you aren't the kind of "diverse" we are looking for." But don't go as LGBT unless you really are... that could be very awkward if you end up getting hired by a firm and they wonder why you've suddenly turned straight haha

LOL. That would be a little more awkward than Elizabeth Warren's route.

newbie2

Postby newbie2 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:45 am

I'm going to the diversity fair, but I'm from out of town so each extra day in SF means money. I'm thinking of leaving immediately after the fair. But if the CB interviews (if any) tend to come pretty soon, then I should stay for a bit to save the travelling. Does anyone know what the timeframe generally looks like?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:07 am

if i get one pre-select interview, i'll be happy.

Return to “Legal Employment”