HLS median reach firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HLS median reach firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Anyone have a sense for what a median HLS student's reach firms would be? Interested in NYC and SF/SV corporate. I'm guessing Wachtell, S&C and Cravath are out. Other NYC firms to avoid? How about SF/SV, particularly the V10 satellites (DPW, STB, etc)?

rv11

Re: HLS median reach firms

Postby rv11 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have a sense for what a median HLS student's reach firms would be? Interested in NYC and SF/SV corporate. I'm guessing Wachtell, S&C and Cravath are out. Other NYC firms to avoid? How about SF/SV, particularly the V10 satellites (DPW, STB, etc)?

What are you considering to be median?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 am

rv11 wrote:What are you considering to be median?

3 Hs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:35 am

Wachtell is a wasted bid, but S&C and Cravath took some people at median. Don't know enough about SF/SV to say anything useful, except that they tend to be somewhat more grade snobby (but then again, that may just be for patent lit).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Along the same lines, any thoughts on the below bid list (still OP)? It's listed in (rough draft) order from top to bottom.

Freshfields (NY)
Cahill (NY)
Kirkland (NY)
WSGR (SF)
Fenwick (SF)
Goodwin (SF)
Latham (SF)
Debevoise (NY)
Pillsbury (SF)
Shearman (NY)
Jones Day (NY)
White & Case (NY)
Gunderson (SF)
Kirkland (SF)
MoFo (SF)
Skadden (SF)
Cooley (SF)
Jones Day (SF)
Skadden (NY)
Schulte (NY)
Weil (NY)
Proskauer (NY)
Cleary (NY)
DPW (NY)
STB (NY)
Dechert (NY)
Paul Weiss (NY)
OMM (SF)
Ropes (SF)
Cadwalader (NY)
Willkie Farr (NY)
Milbank (NY)
Boies (NY - Corporate)
Weil (SF)
Orrick (SF)
McKinsey

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Along the same lines, any thoughts on the below bid list (still OP)? It's listed in (rough draft) order from top to bottom.

Freshfields (NY)
Cahill (NY)
Kirkland (NY)
WSGR (SF)
Fenwick (SF)
Goodwin (SF)
Latham (SF)
Debevoise (NY)
Pillsbury (SF)
Shearman (NY)
Jones Day (NY)
White & Case (NY)
Gunderson (SF)
Kirkland (SF)
MoFo (SF)
Skadden (SF)
Cooley (SF)
Jones Day (SF)
Skadden (NY)
Schulte (NY)
Weil (NY)
Proskauer (NY)
Cleary (NY)
DPW (NY)
STB (NY)
Dechert (NY)
Paul Weiss (NY)
OMM (SF)
Ropes (SF)
Cadwalader (NY)
Willkie Farr (NY)
Milbank (NY)
Boies (NY - Corporate)
Weil (SF)
Orrick (SF)
McKinsey

Know someone around median last year that bid very similarly and did well, although his/her callbacks trickled at first and then flooded later (I think that's usual for SF/SV heavy lists). I think you have your bases covered, understanding that Skadden, PW, STB, Kirkland and Debevoise might be long shots at median -- my impression is that a couple of the other V10's that you have are less grade sensitive, although it matters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:33 am

why goodwin and pillsbury SF? the former is a non-player and the latter is a weak/hurting firm.

also skadden SF is not an office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:why goodwin and pillsbury SF? the former is a non-player and the latter is a weak/hurting firm.

also skadden SF is not an office.

Thanks for the comments about Goodwin/Pillsbury. Are they not even worth bids as safety-ish firms? I was under the impression that Goodwin has been investing in their VC practice lately, which is one of my interest areas. Would I be better off with DLA and/or GDC (despite median grades)?

Also, I meant Skadden PA. Just got lazy with the copy/pasting parentheticals...in general (SF) is supposed to refer to the Bay Area office (or the corporate-heavy side if they have both SF/SV offices).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm not a HLS student so take this with a huge grain of salt. that being said, I do know a lot about the bay area biglaw market:

my impression is that if you have solid ties to the area (went to UG there, have family there, have a girlfriend there, have a really compelling reason to be there), median HLS grades will be good almost anywhere. bay area firms are, from my experience, mostly concerned with school, fit, and ties, and are not huge grade snobs.

WSGR (SF) - all about tech start ups and VC. not sure why you want the SF office though (obviously living in the city is 10x better then palo alto, but the office is a tiny satellite compared to SV.....though that is definitely changing as more tech companies start up and stay in SF). clearly the leader in this space. though, I'd be a bit wary. I think their SV office hired 45 summers for this summer (which strikes me as very imprudent), and the tech market is notoriously boom bust. all the indigenous SV firms (fenwick, WSGR, cooley, gunderson) go through these cycles, and they always see revenue and PPP crash, lay people off, lower salaries, etc. if the tech boom continues for the next 2-4 years this would be a great firm to be at. but if the bust comes, few firms will hurt as much as WSGR.
Fenwick (SF) - see above. but also my feeling is a bit more stable then the other SV firms. check out the recent profile on this firm in the american lawyer. again, SF is a tiny outpost compared to SV. and with their FB representation, I'm sure the firm will be in high demand.
Goodwin (SF) - know very little about this firm, but seems like a non-player to me.
Latham (SF) - impressive/quality presence in SF and SV. their SV office is one of the biggest and is very successful. good firm/office in SF. probably a bit more selective then others.
Pillsbury (SF) - stay away. they just moved offices and cut their office space literally in half. the firm has been unhealthy for years. bad mergers, bad investments in people, just not a quality firm I'd want to work for.
Gunderson (SF) - know little about this firm, but seems a quality start up/VC shop. be wary of the boom bust issues discussed above.
Kirkland (SF) - quality SF firm, though my impression is that, at least on the transactional side, all they do is private equity, over and over and over again. if that interests you, check them out. selective, relatively speaking. also, sick offices at the top of the bank of america building, incredible views. a very healthy office as well - I've been told one of the most profitable in the firm.
MoFo (SF) - the SF behemoth, largest office in the city by far. I think close to 300 lawyers now. if you want to be at a biglaw HQ (which does have a lot of perks), look here (and WSGR in SV). seems like a solid firm, excellent pan-asia practice, expertise in cleantech, respected in the start up/VC world (one of the larger palo alto office), done a lot of high profile M&A work and some major litigation work for apple/oracle. also expanding quite a bit in new york, and trying to capture more of the new york style finance/M&A/and corporate work. not particularly selective about grades. also snazzy brand new offices.
Skadden (SF) - decent SV practice, but nothing special at all.
Cooley (SF) - exciting firm to work for, like the other SV firms, riding the tech wave with lots of great work. however, cooley is originally an SF firm, so their SF presence is better and more established IMO then the other SV firms. they also hurt terribly after the last bust, so watch out. their revenues collapsed pretty substantially.
Jones Day (SF) - a relatively new office that they're still expanding, especially on the corporate side (not much of a practice yet). its jones day, so its solid as can be. incredible offices as well.
OMM (SF) - a major california firm, and a major office. don't know much else but I think a solid choice.
Ropes (SF) - a PE shop, and a solid one at that. don't know much else about them.
Weil (SF) - like the other wallstreet firms in the bay area, these offices, especially in SV, focus on NY style cap markets work. not start up/VC/tech - but raising cash on the capital markets, representing underwriters during IPOs, etc. pretty limited practices.
Orrick (SF) - the other SF giant, aside from MoFo. have their own building, which is pretty cool. I got the impression they struggled a bit through the recession (who didnt though) but that they're in solid shape now. very strong public finance, project finance, and infrastructure practices.

hope that helps!

twelveoaks

Postby twelveoaks » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:52 pm

SA in NYC from HLS here. STB (NY) sounds a bit reachy to me, and I'm surprised to see Boies - corporate here. Boies is heavily litigation and very hard to get into (along the ranks of SC and CSM). How many corporate SAs are they even seeking to hire? Besides that, the list looks good, at least for NY.

Return to “Legal Employment”