2012 NU OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 NU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear from Goodwin Procter or Baker Botts (DC)?

Goodwin proctor cb, but for the bay area office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:37 am

I have an offer! :shock: So to everyone who's sitting out there with < 325158271ot5n21uh callbacks, don't lose hope. Don't let the pressure of only having a couple of callbacks break you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer! :shock: So to everyone who's sitting out there with < 325158271ot5n21uh callbacks, don't lose hope. Don't let the pressure of only having a couple of callbacks break you.

Chicago or elsewhere? (I don't figure you're willing to divulge the firm?)

Edit: what a jerk I am, I meant congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:56 am

Chicago V100 firm :D Thanks! I will share that I actually got the interview outside of OCI, so people really shouldn't just be banking on OCI to payout 100% of the time. And I don't have a top 10% GPA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm

Also wanted to echo the sentiments of the earlier poster. I recently received (and accepted) an offer from a firm in Cali (Bay Area). Median mediocre grades, but perfect fit for the firm. Firm pays market so I'm getting paid the same as the 4.1 GPA who will be working at Cravath or Mofo even though I have a "low" GPA. The bonus is that I won't be surrounded by assholes or aspies.

Don't worry about your grades too much - focus on showing that you and your background are a good fit. Find the firms that best fit you (rather than your ego) and hit those out of the park.

Whew, this makes the rest of the year a lot easier!!! Just wanted to share this with my brethren and sisters who have lower GPAs to encourage you to keep the faith. People with higher GPAs are getting dinged at the firm I got an offer from, so there are firms out there who will look beyond grades and will pay market salaries.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also wanted to echo the sentiments of the earlier poster. I recently received (and accepted) an offer from a firm in Cali (Bay Area). Median mediocre grades, but perfect fit for the firm. Firm pays market so I'm getting paid the same as the 4.1 GPA who will be working at Cravath or Mofo even though I have a "low" GPA. The bonus is that I won't be surrounded by assholes or aspies.

Don't worry about your grades too much - focus on showing that you and your background are a good fit. Find the firms that best fit you (rather than your ego) and hit those out of the park.

Whew, this makes the rest of the year a lot easier!!! Just wanted to share this with my brethren and sisters who have lower GPAs to encourage you to keep the faith. People with higher GPAs are getting dinged at the firm I got an offer from, so there are firms out there who will look beyond grades and will pay market salaries.

Good way to rub it in other people's face bro. As an aspie with higher GPA than yours, but no jerb, all I can say is that I did not choose to be socially awkward. Don't you think I do not wish I was also popular and easy to talk to. You think I enjoy the way I am? You think I enjoy the reverse discrimination where people do not give me jerbs even though I am qualified because I am nervous and shy, and do not talk about football? You have no idea how hard life is for me, being treated as a second class citizen because I cannot hold small talk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also wanted to echo the sentiments of the earlier poster. I recently received (and accepted) an offer from a firm in Cali (Bay Area). Median mediocre grades, but perfect fit for the firm. Firm pays market so I'm getting paid the same as the 4.1 GPA who will be working at Cravath or Mofo even though I have a "low" GPA. The bonus is that I won't be surrounded by assholes or aspies.

Good way to rub it in other people's face bro. As an aspie with higher GPA than yours, but no jerb, all I can say is that I did not choose to be socially awkward. Don't you think I do not wish I was also popular and easy to talk to. You think I enjoy the way I am? You think I enjoy the reverse discrimination where people do not give me jerbs even though I am qualified because I am nervous and shy, and do not talk about football? You have no idea how hard life is for me, being treated as a second class citizen because I cannot hold small talk.

There are some firms that will want someone like you. Every firm is looking for something different. Find the firm that is looking for you. That's the takeaway I have from OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There are some firms that will want someone like you. Every firm is looking for something different. Find the firm that is looking for you. That's the takeaway I have from OCI.

Lol, it was a joke. But I also think there is a fair point to it. There are people that are more reserved in the beginning. They often do not choose to be that way. At my previous job, some of the greatest employees (not just work-wise, but also socially) were people that would come as reserved in interviews, and some of the high energy interviewers would turn into anti-social, crying-all-the-time messes at work. I think TLS might give too much credit to those aspects. The HR person literally told me that she prefers quiet people because of such experiences. Clearly all anecdotal, and what I said before, was meant as a joke.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lol, it was a joke. But I also think there is a fair point to it. There are people that are more reserved in the beginning. They often do not choose to be that way. At my previous job, some of the greatest employees (not just work-wise, but also socially) were people that would come as reserved in interviews, and some of the high energy interviewers would turn into anti-social, crying-all-the-time messes at work. I think TLS might give too much credit to those aspects. The HR person literally told me that she prefers quiet people because of such experiences. Clearly all anecdotal, and what I said before, was meant as a joke.

LOL. Got it, bru. I thought you might have been saying it tongue in cheek but I didn't want to take the chance that I had offended someone.

Totes agree with all your points. I think the problem with TLS and career services is that the advice can get inside your head: be this, say that, don't don't this, do that. I certainly felt that way early on in OCI. I adapted quickly and started to forget their advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:27 pm

What is going on in here? (best scenario: it's one guy talking to himself)

Back to news: 2 mid-western secondary market CBs in the last 24 hours

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Goodwin Procter dc ding email

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Latham Chicago snail mail ding. Expected, but Christ did I get slaughtered in Chicago! 12 screeners, 1 CB (2 outstanding, but I assume dings)
3.5-3.6, significant Chicago ties, but a pretty idiosyncratic background that apparently I did not overcome in my screeners. Back to the mass mailing I go...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:57 am

Same here on Latham. Guess TF just sent out his dings.

Also got crushed in Chicago both in bidding and interviews. Only got 7 interviews and from them, only 1 CB. 3.6-3.7 and significant Chicago ties. :-(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Powers pyle dc cb via email. 3.6-3.7

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Anyone get a 3L callback yet from Dinsmore?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get a 3L callback yet from Dinsmore?

Not sure, but they've definitely started 2L callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:31 pm

MWE email ding. Edit to add Mass email with bcc'd recipients

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MWE email ding. Edit to add Mass email with bcc'd recipients

+1, the personal touch warms my heart.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:MWE email ding. Edit to add Mass email with bcc'd recipients

Tempted to reply all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:43 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Tempted to reply all

omg please please hahaha

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Tempted to reply all

omg please please hahaha

Would be awesome but you can't reply all to a BCC'd recipient.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer! :shock: So to everyone who's sitting out there with < 325158271ot5n21uh callbacks, don't lose hope. Don't let the pressure of only having a couple of callbacks break you.

congrats. how long did it take the firm to notify you of the offer after your callback? obviously varies, but can anyone speak to this generally?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

congrats. how long did it take the firm to notify you of the offer after your callback? obviously varies, but can anyone speak to this generally?

For NY, it's normal to receive a decision within 2 weeks. Not sure about Chi, but CA often gets decisions out pretty late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For NY, it's normal to receive a decision within 2 weeks. Not sure about Chi, but CA often gets decisions out pretty late.

thanks. anyone with info on chi?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks. anyone with info on chi?

original anon - probably varies but for me < 1 week

Return to “Legal Employment”