2012 NU OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: 2012 NU OCI

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 pm

I'd advise you guys to try to worry about how to nail your upcoming interviews and don't focus on callbacks others are getting. I'd leave this thread, relax, do research on your upcoming firms, but avoid OCI stress and talking about it with other classmates.

What does knowing you got dinged before you actually get the letter do? Nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What happened to Chicago firms moving slowly? The interviews were just today! Any CBs with interviewers starting with M & I?

I dunno. I've interviewed with 6 Chi firms and only have heard from one. Granted 3 were today, but still if some places are making same day callbacks this waiting is really shaking my confidence.

I was warned about this from some 3ls...I think we just have to roll with it a bit and hoped that these firms doing stuff early might do a few waves

I'm literally biting my nails waiting for the phone to ring with an unknown 312 number. This is worse than waiting for your high school crush to call. Praying that a wave that includes me will come soon!

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I dunno. I've interviewed with 6 Chi firms and only have heard from one. Granted 3 were today, but still if some places are making same day callbacks this waiting is really shaking my confidence.

I was warned about this from some 3ls...I think we just have to roll with it a bit and hoped that these firms doing stuff early might do a few waves

I'm literally biting my nails waiting for the phone to ring with an unknown 312 number. This is worse than waiting for your high school crush to call. Praying that a wave that includes me will come soon!

Worst thing is when some rando number calls. FUCK YOU DENTIST

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd advise you guys to try to worry about how to nail your upcoming interviews and don't focus on callbacks others are getting. I'd leave this thread, relax, do research on your upcoming firms, but avoid OCI stress and talking about it with other classmates.

What does knowing you got dinged before you actually get the letter do? Nothing.

I think I know the answer to this, and that it's no, but is there any benefit to following up with firms where you've received silence. If so, what's the time frame for doing that?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I dunno. I've interviewed with 6 Chi firms and only have heard from one. Granted 3 were today, but still if some places are making same day callbacks this waiting is really shaking my confidence.

Worst thing is when some rando number calls. FUCK YOU DENTIST

Three missed calls, three local numbers, and three voice messages. All moving companies calling me back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think I know the answer to this, and that it's no, but is there any benefit to following up with firms where you've received silence. If so, what's the time frame for doing that?

Also what's the protocol on when you get dinged from a firm where you thought your interview went well and your grades shouldn't have been an issue? any point in reaching out to the interviewer?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 pm

splitmuch wrote:Three missed calls, three local numbers, and three voice messages. All moving companies calling me back.

ain't that some shit.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'd advise you guys to try to worry about how to nail your upcoming interviews and don't focus on callbacks others are getting. I'd leave this thread, relax, do research on your upcoming firms, but avoid OCI stress and talking about it with other classmates.

Not sure. I didn't try this because I figured it would only hurt. I did wait too long to call about an callback I went on, after I had another offer with an approaching deadline. I called like 4 days before the other deadline but it was too late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also what's the protocol on when you get dinged from a firm where you thought your interview went well and your grades shouldn't have been an issue? any point in reaching out to the interviewer?

Yes, you should definitely call them to inquire on why you didn't get the job. Be polite, but firm. Definitely do this.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 pm

imagining everyone itt looking like this when the phone rings:

DELETED

(me too)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 am

Any of the rising 3Ls have a sense of different firms offer/cb ratios?

Snape

Postby Snape » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

First, I would go to the psychology dean or something equivalent and complain that its not fair. Ask the dean to have the firms make all of their hiring decisions based on grades from their professors who have been out of law practice for decades.

Second, call the firm and ask to talk to the person that rejected you. Clearly, they don't even think you were worth another couple of hours in their office (with no travel fees). At the most you help give that attorney some comedic relief as he/she chuckles at the reminder of your interview. Really though, what are you expecting to get out of that call? A reconsideration, some advice that you will actually use? Come on man--its over and you were rejected, this aint college applications and a personal statement anymore--these are jobs and real interviews--clearly they didn't like you enough even for a callback so move on.

User has been outed and warned for using anon to attack other posters.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 am

Snape wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

First, I would go to the psychology dean or something equivalent and complain that its not fair. Ask the dean to have the firms make all of their hiring decisions based on grades from their professors who have been out of law practice for decades.

Second, call the firm and ask to talk to the person that rejected you. Clearly, they don't even think you were worth another couple of hours in their office (with no travel fees). At the most you help give that attorney some comedic relief as he/she chuckles at the reminder of your interview. Really though, what are you expecting to get out of that call? A reconsideration, some advice that you will actually use? Come on man--its over and you were rejected, this aint college applications and a personal statement anymore--these are jobs and real interviews--clearly they didn't like you enough even for a callback so move on.

User has been outed and warned for using anon to attack other posters.

:D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 am

Quick story to cheer everyone up: CBs were reported for a firm early yesterday and after a half-day had gone by I was sure I wouldn't get one. This morning, however, I got a voicemail from the firm offering a callback.

Don't stress and count a firm out until you actually get a rejection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 am

Any news from Pillsbury or Vinson?

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:28 am

Come on, Snape, you should know better than to anonymously make a joke! Next time make sure you use your snake account so we will know it is...an anonymous person who uses the name Snape on a web forum.

Good luck to everyone today in interviews!

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick story to cheer everyone up: CBs were reported for a firm early yesterday and after a half-day had gone by I was sure I wouldn't get one. This morning, however, I got a voicemail from the firm offering a callback.

Don't stress and count a firm out until you actually get a rejection.

Thanks for sharing this

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:34 am

Remnantofisrael wrote:Come on, Snape, you should know better than to anonymously make a joke! Next time make sure you use your snake account so we will know it is...an anonymous person who uses the name Snape on a web forum.

A joke: knock knock. Who's there? Nunya. Nunya who? Nunya business, that's who.

A dick joke: my dick's so big I'd wear it as a neck-tie, but I'm worried I'd get a hard-on and strangle myself.

A dick move: Snape's earlier post, sarcastically giving "advice" to a poster who is obviously anxious about how this process is going.

2 of the 3 are ok, imo.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:40 am

To clear up the issue and get everyone back on topic after this:

I had initially tempbanned Snape for his post because I had not read the last line of his post. After reading the last line I walked it back to a mere warning. It should not take till the very last line of your post for me to finally realize you are not using anon to berate someone. If you have issues with mod policy there is a Q&A thread in the lounge for that.

This thread is for NU's OCI. Though I'd agree with DF that most people are probably better off by staying out of this thread rather than letting this thread increase their already high level of neuroticism.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:44 am

bk1 wrote:neuroticism.

a dyslexic person might read this as nueroticism.

...OCI has turned my brain to mush

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:45 am

Flips88 wrote:

TLS's spellchecker did want to change it to eroticism. You're probably on to something.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 am

Flips88 wrote:

I for one have always found this thread NU erotic...that's why I keep coming back

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:51 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:Come on, Snape, you should know better than to anonymously make a joke! Next time make sure you use your snake account so we will know it is...an anonymous person who uses the name Snape on a web forum.

A dick joke: my dick's so big I'd wear it as a neck-tie, but I'm worried I'd get a hard-on and strangle myself.

A dick move: Snape's earlier post, sarcastically giving "advice" to a poster who is obviously anxious about how this process is going.

2 of the 3 are ok, imo.

If that is a dick move, I'd say about 50% of the non-anon posts in this thread would apply. I mean, Mod is totally right - its not ok to berate someone using the anon button as a shield. Instead you should do it like everyone else with an anonymous username.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:52 am

Flips88 wrote:

+10 for that. I will grant you one internet wish. I suggest, "For remnant to STFU for even one day". That seems to be a common one.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 am

Remnantofisrael wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

2 of the 3 are ok, imo.

If that is a dick move, I'd say about 50% of the non-anon posts in this thread would apply. I mean, Mod is totally right - its not ok to berate someone using the anon button as a shield. Instead you should do it like everyone else with an anonymous username.

How many "lets get this thread back on what its supposed to be" posts will it take for you to be content with having made your point and stop posting about it?

Return to “Legal Employment”