2012 NU OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Platinum

Re: 2012 NU OCI

Post by rayiner » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd love for someone to ask a semi-critical question, rather than just a bunch of sycophantic 1L's.
Attend tomorrow and ask serious questions!

Dean's Town Hall:

Date: Thursday, September 13, 2012
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
e-perez@law.northwestern.edu
312-503-1606
Group/Dept: Student Affairs

I'm a 4L and will be there.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:54 pm

rayiner wrote:
I'm a 4L and will be there.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd love for someone to ask a semi-critical question, rather than just a bunch of sycophantic 1L's.
You must have missed the one in the spring, where the Dean faced heavy hitting criticism about the deepest, most important matters striking directly to the core of the school, like why can't we get a new logo and why can't we tape shit to the walls.

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Bumi wrote:
You must have missed the one in the spring, where the Dean faced heavy hitting criticism about the deepest, most important matters striking directly to the core of the school, like why can't we get a new logo and why can't we tape shit to the walls.
Ah, anyone remember Dean Van Zandt? Shame he didn't stick around.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:55 am

Bumi wrote:
Hey, that ban on posters/flyers was serious stuff...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Icculus wrote:
Bumi wrote:
Hey, that ban on posters/flyers was serious stuff...
One of my friends made a comment to me on how interesting it is that he won't let posters be taped to the wall because it doesn't look nice enough, and yet he consistently comes to school in sweats, looking like a slob.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Apparently the secret to NU rising in the rankings is for students to not snitch to ATL and not get drunk wearing purple.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Sorry D-Rod but no amount of improvement to programming is going to make it inherently "worth," what, $5k/course?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:30 pm

IAFG wrote:Sorry D-Rod but no amount of improvement to programming is going to make it inherently "worth," what, $5k/course?
But alumni magazine!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:31 pm

bk187 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Sorry D-Rod but no amount of improvement to programming is going to make it inherently "worth," what, $5k/course?
But alumni magazine!
Well, I have to say, I agreed with a lot of what he said, which is to say I think he's less interested in doing "opposite of what DVZ did" than he was when he first got here. If this is the one exception, I can live with it.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:34 pm

IAFG wrote:
bk187 wrote:
But alumni magazine!
Well, I have to say, I agreed with a lot of what he said, which is to say I think he's less interested in doing "opposite of what DVZ did" than he was when he first got here. If this is the one exception, I can live with it.
I wonder how much of his "wanting to change" was driven by the over-abundance of primadonnas among the profs.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:35 pm

I kept waiting for him to say that the International Human Rights LLM was just an innovative source of revenue.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I kept waiting for him to say that the International Human Rights LLM was just an innovative source of revenue.
No no. Just the AJDs and tax LLMs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:40 pm

IAFG wrote:
bk187 wrote:
But alumni magazine!
Just out of curiosity -- what does that mean (opposite of what the previous dean did)? What did the previous dean do? Sorry I'm not up to speed on the palace intrigue.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
bk187 wrote:
But alumni magazine!
Just out of curiosity -- what does that mean (opposite of what the previous dean did)? What did the previous dean do? Sorry I'm not up to speed on the palace intrigue.
There's a lot to it. The JD profs were perturbed by his love of PHd profs. PI kids were perturbed by his focus on BigLaw. These are just the first things that come to mind.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:50 pm

bjsesq wrote:
There's a lot to it. The JD profs were perturbed by his love of PHd profs. PI kids were perturbed by his focus on BigLaw. These are just the first things that come to mind.
This, and, the Dean had a... "non-traditional" view of what "tenure" should be. It was perceived that he didn't mind losing top talent.

On the plus side, he was highly employment-focused and is credited with bringing more top employers to recruit at the LS, particularly NYC firms.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:03 pm

I was also amused by him blatantly tasking OCS with encouraging firms to take people with worse grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:06 pm

NU pre-DVZ and NU post-DVZ is totally different. Before DVZ in 1995, NU was a backwater T14 with a heavy midwest focus. Our rankings haven't improved dramatically since then, because that's so heavily dependent on academic reputation, but they've improved solidly from 13-14 to 10-12 and more importantly employment, student selectivity, etc, are a totally different ball game.

The academics, of course, hated him: http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... allen.html

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm

rayiner wrote:NU pre-DVZ and NU post-DVZ is totally different. Before DVZ in 1995, NU was a backwater T14 with a heavy midwest focus. Our rankings haven't improved dramatically since then, because that's so heavily dependent on academic reputation, but they've improved solidly from 13-14 to 10-12 and more importantly employment, student selectivity, etc, are a totally different ball game.

The academics, of course, hated him: http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... allen.html
To be fair, I understand there was some substance to the argument that he was pushing a particular ideological approach to law.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:36 pm

darkarmour wrote:
rayiner wrote:NU pre-DVZ and NU post-DVZ is totally different. Before DVZ in 1995, NU was a backwater T14 with a heavy midwest focus. Our rankings haven't improved dramatically since then, because that's so heavily dependent on academic reputation, but they've improved solidly from 13-14 to 10-12 and more importantly employment, student selectivity, etc, are a totally different ball game.

To be fair, I understand there was some substance to the argument that he was pushing a particular ideological approach to law.
I dunno, but the people who really dislike the guy are, in my experience anyway, some serious dipshits. I never interacted much with DVZ, and I can't say much about the guy personally. But the people who ranted against him the loudest are also some of the biggest fucking pricks at the law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Ok, so who do you think is best to raise the rankings of NU going forward? Will D-Rod help the rankings or will he hurt it? Ultimately, I don't think other considerations really matter. With rankings, all else will follow (faculty, employers, top students, etc.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, so who do you think is best to raise the rankings of NU going forward? Will D-Rod help the rankings or will he hurt it? Ultimately, I don't think other considerations really matter. With rankings, all else will follow (faculty, employers, top students, etc.)
Awesome use of anon.

I don't think employers will follow an increase in the rankings. You can point to a bunch of T20s who have effectively gained their rankings without it helping their placement.

That said, if you look at that methodology, we're sort of out of shit to game. He's right in his assumption that our academic reputation is the only metric point where we can really move much, and he's also right that it's an expensive point to attack.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, so who do you think is best to raise the rankings of NU going forward? Will D-Rod help the rankings or will he hurt it? Ultimately, I don't think other considerations really matter. With rankings, all else will follow (faculty, employers, top students, etc.)
The best thing to improve the ranking is improving academic reputation, which mostly involves buying highly-cited faculty. That said, I'm not sure whether rankings improvements are going to affect anything anyone cares about within the narrow range in question. Our employment is determined by our market and our relationship with employers. Firms don't really care whether NU is #9 or #12 in a given year. And I'm not really sure whether students do either, not in this day and age of transparent employment statistics.

I think what D-Rod can help with most is dealing with the financial issues, building the endowment, and focusing on clerkships. The latter is something that tangibly helps employment that DVZ ignored. Not just because it gets people employed in clerkships, but it gets more firms to OCI because they notice post-clerks from NU coming to their firm. E.g. I think they added Munger to OCI which was a nice boost for the couple of folks who got it. Remember, these firms taking up students at the top helps everyone else competing with those students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Anyone hear from Latham chi post cb?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 pm

Nothing here. When was your CB? Mine was early last week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”