1L SA Grade Drop

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA Grade Drop

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Does anyone have anecdotal or other evidence of how this is treated, particularly by top firms? Does the downward trend have any affect even if the overall GPA is still within an acceptable range for the firm? What if you drop below their GPA "floor" at OCI for your school?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA Grade Drop

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have anecdotal or other evidence of how this is treated, particularly by top firms? Does the downward trend have any affect even if the overall GPA is still within an acceptable range for the firm? What if you drop below their GPA "floor" at OCI for your school?

I precipitously dropped from 1L fall to 1L spring and it didn't affect my 1L firm's decision to invite me back for 2L summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:52 am

I had a decent sized drop... I was told by my firm that no one here cares, or will even look at my grades again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:08 pm

What about grade drops during 2L? Assuming I can line something up at OCI this fall for next summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:27 pm

I was told that it really doesn't matter, if they look at your grades again it will only be the recruiting coordinator who does, and it will only be a problem if you do sub-par work over the summer anywhere. But most likely, same idea, no one is going to care for the same reason no one cares about your LSAT score once you have law school grades. Your grades are used to predict your work product/ success at the firm. Once they've actually had you there and worked with you, they can judge whether or not they want you there still based on that instead of yoru grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”