Rising 3L: What Should Be My Game Plan? (Top 1/3 at T20)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rising 3L: What Should Be My Game Plan? (Top 1/3 at T20)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Hey, I'm just looking for some input as to what my game-plan should be (jobs-wise) as a rising 3L.

I'm at a T20 and am probably about top 1/3. I made the Dean's List for the first time this past semester, and I also have a book award. I've also been very involved in extracurricular organizations while in law school. Also, I'm on a secondary journal.

I want to eventually work as a criminal prosecutor of some sort. My two summer jobs have involved criminal prosecution, but I know it's tough to break into that field of practice as a fresh JD. Basically, I'm just looking for some guidance/input as to what my plan should be in getting a job.

Is it worth getting an externship during the school year at the local DA/USAO/etc.? If not, what type of work should I pursue? FYI, I'm also interested in a clerkship (state or federal). In addition to criminal prosecution and clerkships, I'm interested in education law and, to a lesser extent, family law.

Thank you!

vegeta

Re: Rising 3L: What Should Be My Game Plan? (Top 1/3 at T20)

Postby vegeta » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:57 pm

I would do a part-time internship at any of those government organizaitons you mentioned. The DA's office around my area almost only hires from people who have volunteered there before. Take Trial Advocacy if you haven't already. Anything your school offers that will make you a better trial attorney and have something to show prosecutor-employers you have a demonstrated interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Any more advice/input?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm

If your interested in criminal prosecutor work, I think getting an externship at any of those organizations would be a wise move. Even if you can't get a job with them after 3L year, you may be able to build invaluable connections with the prosecutors or even the judges.

What people fail to realize is that if the Eurozone crisis keeps worsening, it will stall any chance of a U.S. recovery = less growth in legal hiring, period. You need to do what you can to start separating yourself from fellow students that may have similar credentials as you, which is a lot of people. An externship is to your advantage. You should do it if you can. And like vegeta said, take Trial Advocacy. It will help you in the long run.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 pm

What state? You could be competitive for some state clerkships, probably no federal.

Also, definitely intern with local DA if you want to prosecute. Don't do USAO unless you know they might hire a fresh grad (highly unlikely).

Return to “Legal Employment”