Below Median @ NYU: Where to bid w/ 3.23?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Below Median @ NYU: Where to bid w/ 3.23?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Pretty good first semester, pretty bad second semester. Nothing below a B. Where should I be focusing my OCI bids range wise? Aiming for NYC.

Anonymous User

Re: Below Median @ NYU: Where to bid w/ 3.23?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:16 pm

V20s - V40s should work, but it depends on your interview skills and work history. I had that GPA and had many V20s and up offers. I had 2 years of valuable WE and probably above average interview skills.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks. That seems higher than I thought. Was this recently if you dont' mind me asking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:56 pm

is it generally easier to get cbs with an interest in corp?

ruski

Postby ruski » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is it generally easier to get cbs with an interest in corp?

just from anecdotal evidence i would say yes. also, it seemed to me that a majority of law students want litigation since several dont know what corp really is, and the reason they came to law school in the first place was to do trial work. so i would think saying corp could help you stand out. this is just from my observationss

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. That seems higher than I thought. Was this recently if you dont' mind me asking?

The problem with his response is that 2 years of relevant WE + good interviewing skills can make a significant difference... When you start falling around the median at a T6, these things matter a whole lot more then the general emphasis on grades that happens for a generic situation.

Thus you need to self-evaluate your own WE in terms of its relevance to your interest (as in do you have finance WE? do you have experiences that speak to a strong Corporate interest?) and your own interviewing skills... These differences can make somebody below median perform at a above median level in terms of OCI or the reverse could occur and it could detract from the results of somebody who is at or above median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. That seems higher than I thought. Was this recently if you dont' mind me asking?

The problem with his response is that 2 years of relevant WE + good interviewing skills can make a significant difference... When you start falling around the median at a T6, these things matter a whole lot more then the general emphasis on grades that happens for a generic situation.

Thus you need to self-evaluate your own WE in terms of its relevance to your interest (as in do you have finance WE? do you have experiences that speak to a strong Corporate interest?) and your own interviewing skills... These differences can make somebody below median perform at a above median level in terms of OCI or the reverse could occur and it could detract from the results of somebody who is at or above median.

I second this. Lower GPA + good WE can still get those firms. But "good" WE can be too subjective.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I am the person with the call backs at the V20s and up with similar grades. My grades were the opposite though (Bs first semester, B+s second semester so maybe getting better was a good sign to them?)

Yes, I realize my work experience and interviewing skills definitely helped, but I am sure I am not the only person with these other qualities and so in case the OP has them, he/she should not be too too worried. My work was high profile federal government (but not in law).

I was doing EIW in summer 2010 - so yes recently - and while it was not the worst year, it was among the worst.

Return to “Legal Employment”