How much screwing off is too much screwing off?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lisjjen

How much screwing off is too much screwing off?

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm working a summer fellowship that I find to be very enjoyable. The first half is at a courthouse in Cali. They leave us in a room with our own computers and almost never check in on us (like once every other day.) The second half will be at a firm and I already know that it won't play out the same way.

It is tempting to read news articles and check facebook (which I have done so far) or watch an episode of the Daily Show (which I have done so far) or to even play multiplayer video games on my laptop (which I have done so far.) How much is too much? I mean, I'm not asking how much I can get away with at this particular employer, because the answer is A LOT. I'm asking as far as establishing a habit, how much do summer clerks usually screw around?

homestyle28

Re: How much screwing off is too much screwing off?

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:36 pm

Not that much.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Damn. I'd be too paranoid to do that shit. Are you using one of their computers or your own? Although I guess if they really cared they'd block the websites.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:42 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Damn. I'd be too paranoid to do that shit. Are you using one of their computers or your own? Although I guess if they really cared they'd block the websites.

like I said, we bring our own laptops and they didn't make us load anything onto our computers or sign anything.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Limit it to reading articles and TLS. Don't goof off as much as your co-worker and start watching every Beyonce video. :wink:

Also, how's the workload? I'm guessing they really don't give you that much.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:22 pm

lisjjen wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:Damn. I'd be too paranoid to do that shit. Are you using one of their computers or your own? Although I guess if they really cared they'd block the websites.

like I said, we bring our own laptops and they didn't make us load anything onto our computers or sign anything.

Reading comp fail on my part. That's what I get for goofing of on TLS when I'm supposed to be working.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:41 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Limit it to reading articles and TLS. Don't goof off as much as your co-worker and start watching every Beyonce video. :wink:

Also, how's the workload? I'm guessing they really don't give you that much.

oh how the (high and) might have fallen. screwing off has a gravitational pull when they never give us work and never check on us

Return to “Legal Employment”