Clerkship After Practicing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship After Practicing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:28 pm

So, my grades, from T6, are pretty weird (read, inconsistent). The majority are in the A range (mostly A-s, including in "difficult courses" like Fed Cts, Advanced Admin Law). I do have some poor grades (a couple Bs and a B-). I haven't calculated my GPA, do clerks and judges actually do this, or is more a scan/gestalt look? Is a 3-credit course really weighed differently than a 4 credit course? Would seem silly, but most things are.

So, my question: after a year or two of biglaw practice, any shot at D Ct in NY/NJ/DC/Cal/Chi/Boston/Baltimore/Philly? Is this really a hard GPA cut-off kind of thing? Should I actually try to calculate my GPA. I would guess its around a 3.45.

Should my recommenders as an alum be professor heavy?

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship After Practicing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Yes, you have a shot in those districts after a year or two of practice. District court judges especially are shifting towards a preference for clerks with some practice experience. Some judges have hard GPA cut-offs, but I would say most don't. Especially if you come from a top school, any cut-offs the judge has in mind may be somewhat relaxed. For instance, perhaps a judge's OSCAR profile says he requires top 10%. In that case, my guess is he would still be willing to field applications from an HYS applicant in the top 20% or maybe even 25%. What matters more than your absolute GPA is how you compare to your peers. Any clue on class standing?

As for recommenders, the balance of them should probably still be professors. COA judges definitely prefer professor recommendations, though after a year or two, a practitioner recommendation is fine. District court judges seem to prefer that one of the three recommendations come from a practitioner, and after a year or two of practice, maybe you can get away with two of them coming from practitioners. But my guess is 1 professional recommendation + 2 faculty recommendations is still the better way to go.

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship After Practicing

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Will you be practicing in any of the states in which you want to apply for clerkships? If so, I think getting a partner/supervisor who is reasonably well-known in the community or to a particular judge to go to bat for you - via letter or better yet by phone call - would give you an especially good shot.

Return to “Legal Employment”