2012 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the deal with that Gibson Dunn dinner was?

was that today? and did the invites go out today or did they go out before OGI started?

Tonight. At the end of the screener.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Most years GDC does a top secret dinner for some people that did screening interviews with them, but does not subsequently give callbacks to everyone at the dinner. My year the dinner was the same night as the screening interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:Most years GDC does a top secret dinner for some people that did screening interviews with them, but does not subsequently give callbacks to everyone at the dinner. My year the dinner was the same night as the screening interview.

And if you didn't get invited, you're not getting the callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:Most years GDC does a top secret dinner for some people that did screening interviews with them, but does not subsequently give callbacks to everyone at the dinner. My year the dinner was the same night as the screening interview.

Wow. Crazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the deal with that Gibson Dunn dinner was?

was that today? and did the invites go out today or did they go out before OGI started?

oh as in the interviewer told you at the end where to go and so forth?

That is very interesting. can you assume you will not get a callback if you did not attend?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was invited to a dinner tomorrow night (Tuesday the 14th). They gave me an invitation card at the conclusion of the screening interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was invited to a dinner tomorrow night (Tuesday the 14th). They gave me an invitation card at the conclusion of the screening interview.

do they do it by grades? or by how good the interview was?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Is this Gibson process the same for all offices? For those with invites, which offices did you interview with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is this Gibson process the same for all offices? For those with invites, which offices did you interview with?

At least NY and DC. Not sure about others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do they do it by grades? or by how good the interview was?

Contrary to BW, not everything is done by grades. I interviewed with them last year and had excellent grades (3.6+) and did not get an invite to the dinner. No callback, obviously.

I got the impression they were looking for friendly, sociable people with good grades.

I want to say that they had dinners for NYC and DC last year, maybe together (not sure), but my memory might be faulty. Someone who went should correct me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is this Gibson process the same for all offices? For those with invites, which offices did you interview with?

At least NY and DC. Not sure about others.

edit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Contrary to BW, not everything is done by grades. I interviewed with them last year and had excellent grades (3.6+) and did not get an invite to the dinner. No callback, obviously.

I got the impression they were looking for friendly, sociable people with good grades.

I want to say that they had dinners for NYC and DC last year, maybe together (not sure), but my memory might be faulty. Someone who went should correct me.

The dinners were separate. The NY/LA dinner was Tuesday and DC was Monday. Not everyone at the NY dinner received a callback and some not at the dinner did get callbacks. Though, on the whole, the dinner invite was a pretty good proxy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 pm

I understand not everything is done by grades, but how would they give you an invite without conferring with each other (2 people in the interview?)

see my point?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I understand not everything is done by grades, but how would they give you an invite without conferring with each other (2 people in the interview?)

see my point?

I wasn't there this year, but every 2-person interview I had included a partner and an associate. You can imagine that the decision making power between the two was, uh, unequal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I understand not everything is done by grades, but how would they give you an invite without conferring with each other (2 people in the interview?)

see my point?

I wasn't there this year, but every 2-person interview I had included a partner and an associate. You can imagine that the decision making power between the two was, uh, unequal.

very fair point. I didn't think about that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:

see my point?

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The dinners were separate. The NY/LA dinner was Tuesday and DC was Monday. Not everyone at the NY dinner received a callback and some not at the dinner did get callbacks. Though, on the whole, the dinner invite was a pretty good proxy.

This was me. Thanks, I wasn't quite sure I had that right.

Regardless, to the anon thinking screeners might be pointless -- I was reading over a thread somewhere, and the interviewer indicated that he looked over people, had a general idea of people he wanted to call back, and then added a few stand out interviewers and subtracted away some for bland/subpar performances. I don't think this was at UVA in particular, but you can kind of see how that would work. They have a general idea looking over the OGI packet ahead of time of who they might be interested in, and they play around with it based on interview performance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 am

How important is it to attend the firm post-screener dinners? I was invited to the GDC dinner last night but had to decline due to a prior commitment and they gave me an invitation to the dinner tonight. If I am lucky enough to get a CB from SullCrom, which is the more important dinner to attend? I would much rather prefer to be in DC so I am leaning towards GDC.

Thanks again to all of the 3Ls and grads who are helping out in this thread!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:29 am

So it is generally true that for NY firms, if you haven't heard back within 24 hours after your screener, you're toast?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 am

Anybody hear from sidley yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:How important is it to attend the firm post-screener dinners? I was invited to the GDC dinner last night but had to decline due to a prior commitment and they gave me an invitation to the dinner tonight. If I am lucky enough to get a CB from SullCrom, which is the more important dinner to attend? I would much rather prefer to be in DC so I am leaning towards GDC.

I hope that prior commitment was something job-search related or a life and death matter- otherwise you should be attending the dinners.

As far as which one is more important, that probably depends on which firm you like more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:So it is generally true that for NY firms, if you haven't heard back within 24 hours after your screener, you're toast?

One of the NY firms I interviewed with specifically told me at the end that I would not hear for at least 48 hours. So maybe yes for some NY firms, but not across the board.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:57 am

Skadden NY is sending out callbacks.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So it is generally true that for NY firms, if you haven't heard back within 24 hours after your screener, you're toast?

24 hours is too short of a window, it'll be more like 48 hours (of business days, but weekend CBs also aren't unheard of) that many large NYC firms get their act together and do callbacks.

Every year though, some firms wait longer or do multiple rounds. My year Skadden did several rounds of callbacks instead of all of them in a short period of time, as an example.

Anonymous User wrote:How important is it to attend the firm post-screener dinners? I was invited to the GDC dinner last night but had to decline due to a prior commitment and they gave me an invitation to the dinner tonight. If I am lucky enough to get a CB from SullCrom, which is the more important dinner to attend? I would much rather prefer to be in DC so I am leaning towards GDC.

Very important. I'm struggling to imagine what other commitment you had, but it's water under the bridge.

GDC's dinner is more important than S&C's, because historically S&C's is for people who have callbacks while GDCs is for a larger pool (and thus could make or break your candidacy).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:17 pm

It may have been covered earlier in the thread, so I'm sorry for a potential repeat question, but is there a general CB:offer ratio for bigger NY firms?

Maybe important, maybe not, but I'm on the lower end of their grade ranges (3.5), so I don't think my grades make me an auto-CB, so my interviewing must be okay (ie I don't think I'll majorly screw up CBs). Any guess about at what number of CBs I should start to get less nervous about getting a job?

Return to “Legal Employment”