Anonymous User wrote:For callbacks to NY, can you negotiate with firms to take the train instead of a flight? I've had extremely poor experiences with the Charlottesville airport, with flights getting delayed or cancelled at the last minute, and I was thinking of taking the Amtrak up a day early and staying with friends/family in the city.
- Don Draper
Probably - but cville -> NYC is surprisingly unshitty because it's a direct flight. Amtrak, on the other hand, will at least stop and potentially require a transfer in DC. And while a canceled train is probably less likely than a canceled flight, delays are on the rail are quite common.
Additionally, unlike when US Airways was operating the direct flight on a turboprop, Delta is running the route on a jet. Be aware, though, that there's a single daily flight to and from NY. The CHO-LGA flight has only been cancelled once, but the LGA-CHO return is regularly cancelled. See: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CHQ6028/history
. If that happens, you're either going to have to make a connection in Atlanta, or you're going to be spending an extra night in New York (and you still might have to make the connection in ATL — see the cancellations on concurrent days).
Amtrak has two direct trains from Penn Station to C'Ville: one at 1235, and one at 1415. You might find out too late that your flight is cancelled to be able to switch to Amtrak. Or, you could do what I did for a NY CB: I flew out of DC. When all the NY-DC flights were cancelled, I called the travel agent, and I was booked on Amtrak (Acela!) within a few minutes.