2012 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:41 am

Can anyone, alums in particular, speak to how soon after a screener a CB may be scheduled? If you have a screener on a Monday or Tuesday, is it possible you might have a CB that Friday? Thanks for the help.

-Walter White

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I guess the only question not yet resolved is whether someone who accepts fewer than 23 PS, and gets enough alts to bring him over 23, gets to choose which alts to keep or just has them assigned by bid order. Right?

I'm the slightly mistaken anon from above. I believe that the answer I incorrectly gave to Sundance's statement is the correct answer to your question. I'm in your situation. I have 21 PS and 3 alternates accepted. KD indicated that, should all alts go through and I'm pushed above 23 interviews, CSO will first call, then email. Only if they can't get ahold of me through those channels will they drop the lowest-ranked bid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I guess the only question not yet resolved is whether someone who accepts fewer than 23 PS, and gets enough alts to bring him over 23, gets to choose which alts to keep or just has them assigned by bid order. Right?

I'm the slightly mistaken anon from above. I believe that the answer I incorrectly gave to Sundance's statement is the correct answer to your question. I'm in your situation. I have 21 PS and 3 alternates accepted. KD indicated that, should all alts go through and I'm pushed above 23 interviews, CSO will first call, then email. Only if they can't get ahold of me through those channels will they drop the lowest-ranked bid.

Thanks. Any sense as to whether, in your situation, if you got all 3 alternates to convert, KD would be okay with you dropping 2 in order to have 1 lottery pick?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone, alums in particular, speak to how soon after a screener a CB may be scheduled? If you have a screener on a Monday or Tuesday, is it possible you might have a CB that Friday? Thanks for the help.

-Walter White

Rising 3L. I've had it sooner than 4 days after screening; it just depends on the office and their schedule. If you have an offer in pocket and are on a deadline, bring that up w/person on the phone when you schedule callback. That should bring you closer to the front of the line.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:57 am

desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone, alums in particular, speak to how soon after a screener a CB may be scheduled? If you have a screener on a Monday or Tuesday, is it possible you might have a CB that Friday? Thanks for the help.

-Walter White

Rising 3L. I've had it sooner than 4 days after screening; it just depends on the office and their schedule. If you have an offer in pocket and are on a deadline, bring that up w/person on the phone when you schedule callback. That should bring you closer to the front of the line.

Great, thanks for the help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. Any sense as to whether, in your situation, if you got all 3 alternates to convert, KD would be okay with you dropping 2 in order to have 1 lottery pick?

No clue. My 3 alternates are firms people aren't likely to drop, so didn't bring that up. Just assuming I'm going to the lottery for them.

- Slightly Mistaken

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:21 pm

-Walter White

It can, and should, be scheduled for as soon as you can possibly get there, which could include a turnaround under 3/4 days. Of course, sometimes you will call to schedule it and they'll be booked up until the first week of October.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm

-Walter White

Any time from an hour after the interview to several weeks later. I once got a callback maybe an hour after the interview finished. I also once got a callback over a month after the interview. Average seems to be 2-3 days.

Heat

Postby Heat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:43 pm

RVP11 wrote:

-Walter White

Any time from an hour after the interview to several weeks later. I once got a callback maybe an hour after the interview finished. I also once got a callback over a month after the interview. Average seems to be 2-3 days.

I'm curious about this... His question is about actually scheduling the callback. Are you saying you had an interview and then one hour later you were actually in the callback? I ask because it seems like that might make preparation for the callback difficult.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Heat wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

-Walter White

I'm curious about this... His question is about actually scheduling the callback. Are you saying you had an interview and then one hour later you were actually in the callback? I ask because it seems like that might make preparation for the callback difficult.

I think you know what he means, just saying

Heat

Postby Heat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
Heat wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

-Walter White

I think you know what he means, just saying

I can assume what he means but I can't be positive, which is what I'd like to be. Sorry if the time you spent reading the three sentences I typed up to make sure there is no confusion bothered you.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:11 pm

This confusion needs to stop.

If firms want to interview you more, they call your phone, to tell you that they want to invite you to their office for a "call-back" all day interview. This phone call can be anywhere from 1 hour after the screening interview to 1 month after the screening interview.

In terms of actually going into the office for the "callback," this can be anywhere from the next day (I had this once) to a few weeks from the screening.

After the screening interview, it usually seems like the firm will call your cell phone within 1-3 days to let you know if they want you to do a full-day interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Generally what are peoples thoughts about what to bring into an interview? I of course have copies of my resume, transcript, writing sample and references in case I'm asked for any of those.

Can I have notes about the firm? A pad of paper to take notes myself? Should I take notes?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Re: callbacks - it's been well covered. It varies a lot by region: (big firms in) NYC tends to move lightning fast, other markets have more variation. Just make sure that once you've received a CB invitation you (a) call to schedule ASAP and (b) choose a time to head to the firm as quickly as possible. Many firms give offers on a rolling basis, meaning the longer you wait the fewer spots they may have available.

Also, don't completely despair if a round of CBs goes out and you don't get one. Most of the time it does mean you failed to get a callback (since most screening interviews don't lead to CBs regardless) - but I know several stories of people who got callbacks from firms days or weeks after other UVA students did.

Completely disregard class conflicts for scheduling CBs. As a partner at a big NYC firm told me, you came to law school to get a job - class comes second. This is very important, and as frustrating as the scheduling and logistics can be, you want to give yourself every advantage and that means moving quickly and bending over backward to get things aligned together.

Anonymous User wrote:Generally what are peoples thoughts about what to bring into an interview? I of course have copies of my resume, transcript, writing sample and references in case I'm asked for any of those.

Can I have notes about the firm? A pad of paper to take notes myself? Should I take notes?

Bring a standard-issue (faux) leather padfolio. Inside keep a notepad, a pen, and the stack of papers you described (extra resumes, extra transcripts, and possibly writing samples or references but that depends on where you're interviewing).

In addition to that, I had a half-page sheet of bullet point info for each firm. That helped for a quick review before entering the room.

Once in the room, opinions vary about whether you should take notes. I jotted a few notes in most interviews and had success, but many strongly advocate either not taking any notes or doing so only when it's necessary (you're given contact info or something) to keep the interview more conversational and avoid interruptions or awkwardness. Feel it out for yourself, but I'd air on the side of taking fewer or no notes - though having the padfolio open and the pen in your hand just in case is legit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:02 pm

thesealocust wrote:Also, don't completely despair if a round of CBs goes out and you don't get one. Most of the time it does mean you failed to get a callback (since most screening interviews don't lead to CBs regardless) - but I know several stories of people who got callbacks from firms days or weeks after other UVA students did.

What's the typical number of callbacks for a normal person with around 20 screening interviews (which is the number of interviews K-Don said half the class had last year)? Is this impossible to answer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Also, don't completely despair if a round of CBs goes out and you don't get one. Most of the time it does mean you failed to get a callback (since most screening interviews don't lead to CBs regardless) - but I know several stories of people who got callbacks from firms days or weeks after other UVA students did.

What's the typical number of callbacks for a normal person with around 20 screening interviews (which is the number of interviews K-Don said half the class had last year)? Is this impossible to answer?

Absolutely impossible to know. I got 16+ callbacks with 20ish screeners and I know some people with <4 callbacks with 20ish screeners. Depends on interview skills/grades and w/e to a lesser extent. Average conversion I think is 30% so say 6, but average is not necessarily "typical"

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Probably impossible to answer, depends a lot on your interviewing skillz and markets. Now, to just make a fool of myself...6-9 maybe? 6 is probably on the "not a great interviewer" end. If you are a definitely solid/great interviewer, it should be more like 10-15 I would guess. Others, chime in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:14 pm

I will add with regard to callbacks:

Don't rush to schedule hotel, airfare, etc. with a firm as soon as you get your first callback. Wait to see if you can schedule more on the adjacent days. I had to spend some time last year canceling flights and rebooking, and it was a pain (not to mention the travel people at the firms did not like it). Don't feel bad- flights are going to be expensive anyway and it will be cheaper for the firm if you can split the cost.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Absolutely impossible to know. I got 16+ callbacks with 20ish screeners and I know some people with <4 callbacks with 20ish screeners. Depends on interview skills/grades and w/e to a lesser extent. Average conversion I think is 30% so say 6, but average is not necessarily "typical"

Share with me your wisdom, 16 Callbacks Man.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Screening interview -> callback ratio can be as high as ~80%+ for people with sterling credentials and interviewing skills/personality to as low as 0% for people with mostly lottery interviews and mediocre credentials/interviewing skills. There is absolutely no way to know, and there is huge variation from candidate to candidate.

People who put in the time to learn firms, practice interviewing, etc. will tend to overperform and those who wing it will tend to underperform. It's basically impossible to say more beyond that.

Important factors include: 1L grades, gender, race/ethnicity, age, geographic interest, practice area interest + relative firm practice area needs, work experience, relevance, length, and 'prestige factor' of work experience, personal background X-factors, interviewing skill / personability / presentability.

Every year there's a handful of wonderkids who convert most of screening interviews to CBs and most CBs to offers. There are also a handful of people who get a mountain of screening interviews and barely get an offer.

Focus on what you can control right now - learn about firms, learn about practice areas, and practice interviewing (infront of a mirror if nothing else).

tl;dr try not to be an awkward white male with no work experience, mediocre grades, and a desire to go into a popular practice area in a popular region.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 am

Anything ever come of the resume collections?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:19 am

Really, kids? Is clicking a few buttons that hard for you?

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anything ever come of the resume collections?

They were just sent to firms on Monday. I wouldn't expect to hear back this quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 am

pjo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anything ever come of the resume collections?

They were just sent to firms on Monday. I wouldn't expect to hear back this quickly.

Right, yea I was more asking if rising 3Ls had any thoughts on whether people ever get interviews at those firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

To add to the confusion: I was just told in an email exchange with CS that this is not in fact the case - that once the system hits 23, it shuts you down, and you will not be able to choose among converted alternates.

Return to “Legal Employment”