2012 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Yeah, I think with the cap at 23 now, that advice is somewhat outdated.

But no, that doesn't answer the issue, because it is quite clear that you do not participate in the lottery if you keep 23 preselects, so dipping below 23 gives anon two chances: (1) that the alternates turn into preselects, and (2) that if that does not happen, he/she picks them up via the lottery.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:14 pm

Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:28 pm

sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later


Seems silly, but there you go. Everyone ignore what I said and drop to 21/22 if you're hoping for some alternates to change to preselects.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:44 pm

5ky wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later


Seems silly, but there you go. Everyone ignore what I said and drop to 21/22 if you're hoping for some alternates to change to preselects.


It does seem silly, but on the other hand makes sense. If you really would prefer an alternate/lottery firm over one or two of the firms you already have (when you have a large number) it makes sense to throw those back into the pool and let people who might actually want those firms have a shot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later


Seems silly, but there you go. Everyone ignore what I said and drop to 21/22 if you're hoping for some alternates to change to preselects.


It does seem silly, but on the other hand makes sense. If you really would prefer an alternate/lottery firm over one or two of the firms you already have (when you have a large number) it makes sense to throw those back into the pool and let people who might actually want those firms have a shot.

Agreed, especially if having 20ish interviews is almost sure to land one a job. Is this the case? Genuine question - do people strike out with 20+ screeners?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:19 pm

Also in a similar position to the posters on page 20 -- have almost 10 alternates in the V25, and I'm maxed out on PSes. Also have a few more alternates with bigger class sizes than some of my PSes in the V50. Is dropping PSes down to 19 or 20 too risky? Do people at the very top really drop V25 NY PSes? What about V50s? Seems to me it's even more risky to keep a PS with a very small class size. I think I have the grades for most of the alternates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later


Seems silly, but there you go. Everyone ignore what I said and drop to 21/22 if you're hoping for some alternates to change to preselects.


It does seem silly, but on the other hand makes sense. If you really would prefer an alternate/lottery firm over one or two of the firms you already have (when you have a large number) it makes sense to throw those back into the pool and let people who might actually want those firms have a shot.

Agreed, especially if having 20ish interviews is almost sure to land one a job. Is this the case? Genuine question - do people strike out with 20+ screeners?


Echoing this question. I know that email from KD said we should be "doing more" if we had less than 10, so it seems like 20 should be rather secure?

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby pertristis » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later


Seems silly, but there you go. Everyone ignore what I said and drop to 21/22 if you're hoping for some alternates to change to preselects.


It does seem silly, but on the other hand makes sense. If you really would prefer an alternate/lottery firm over one or two of the firms you already have (when you have a large number) it makes sense to throw those back into the pool and let people who might actually want those firms have a shot.

Agreed, especially if having 20ish interviews is almost sure to land one a job. Is this the case? Genuine question - do people strike out with 20+ screeners?


Someone with more experience than me can probably answer this question, but it seems that the answer depends on a bunch of factors: GPA (if you're getting 20+ screeners as preselects, this probably isn't an issue), previous WE, your interviewing skills and personality, and some other things that other people might mention. Interviewing skills and personality are probably the biggest factor if you've 20+ preselects. While you might have a 5.9 GPA, if being around you is about as pleasant as having an arm amputated without anesthesia, then your job prospects will be far dimmer. I know of at least one person from the last few years who had a remarkable GPA but only had a job offer or two in the end, probably because of interview skills and personality.

Reinschmicker
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Reinschmicker » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:37 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
luckyme wrote:
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up


Mr. Unemployed 39-incher? Is that you?


Mr. Unemployed 39-incher could buy you.


I just want to drive a maserati...


You guys are awesome...compared to bullshit

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:07 pm

sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later

So just to be absolutely clear - I was going off of this line from KD's email

"Can you accept interviews and alternates that total more than 23? Yes. But if you end up receiving a slot for an alternate and have more than 23 on your list, you will only get interviews for your 23 top-ranked firms (assuming that all can be scheduled)."

and I accepted 23 preselects and 3 alternates. That means I will get only those 23 preselect interviews and 0 alternates, right? Should I send in an email to Career Services being like errrr, never mind about those alternates or will I just be automatically kicked off those?

- Don Draper

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later

So just to be absolutely clear - I was going off of this line from KD's email

"Can you accept interviews and alternates that total more than 23? Yes. But if you end up receiving a slot for an alternate and have more than 23 on your list, you will only get interviews for your 23 top-ranked firms (assuming that all can be scheduled)."

and I accepted 23 preselects and 3 alternates. That means I will get only those 23 preselect interviews and 0 alternates, right? Should I send in an email to Career Services being like errrr, never mind about those alternates or will I just be automatically kicked off those?

- Don Draper


I think so, but I can't be certain. If any of you have specific questions, you should try to get a hold of KD or someone at CSO, since it is a very complicated system, and it's clear non-rising 2Ls who aren't getting the KD emails (such as myself) are somewhat out of the loop.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:13 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later

So just to be absolutely clear - I was going off of this line from KD's email

"Can you accept interviews and alternates that total more than 23? Yes. But if you end up receiving a slot for an alternate and have more than 23 on your list, you will only get interviews for your 23 top-ranked firms (assuming that all can be scheduled)."

and I accepted 23 preselects and 3 alternates. That means I will get only those 23 preselect interviews and 0 alternates, right? Should I send in an email to Career Services being like errrr, never mind about those alternates or will I just be automatically kicked off those?

- Don Draper


I think so, but I can't be certain. If any of you have specific questions, you should try to get a hold of KD or someone at CSO, since it is a very complicated system, and it's clear non-rising 2Ls who aren't getting the KD emails (such as myself) are somewhat out of the loop.

Many thanks, I'll try calling.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Can you get a lottery interview from a firm that you denied a preselect from?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Reinschmicker wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
Mr. Unemployed 39-incher? Is that you?


Mr. Unemployed 39-incher could buy you.


I just want to drive a maserati...


You guys are awesome...compared to bullshit


More dick, less bullshit. Right, luckyme?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Law Sauce wrote:Can you get a lottery interview from a firm that you denied a preselect from?


I don't see why you wouldn't, although that would be annoying.

Relatedly, what if you get a lottery interview that you don't want? Can it be declined?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Can you get a lottery interview from a firm that you denied a preselect from?


I don't see why you wouldn't, although that would be annoying.

Relatedly, what if you get a lottery interview that you don't want? Can it be declined?


Since you're not going to be able to fill it with anything else, why not just use it for interview practice?

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Can you get a lottery interview from a firm that you denied a preselect from?


I don't see why you wouldn't, although that would be annoying.

Relatedly, what if you get a lottery interview that you don't want? Can it be declined?


Since you're not going to be able to fill it with anything else, why not just use it for interview practice?


SRs

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:48 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Can you get a lottery interview from a firm that you denied a preselect from?


I don't see why you wouldn't, although that would be annoying.

Relatedly, what if you get a lottery interview that you don't want? Can it be declined?


Since you're not going to be able to fill it with anything else, why not just use it for interview practice?


SRs


I can't say I know what SRs is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I can't say I know what SRs is.


special requests

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Law Sauce wrote:Can you get a lottery interview from a firm that you denied a preselect from?


I'm fairly sure that can't happen.

User avatar
icouldbuyu
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby icouldbuyu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:59 pm

Reinschmicker wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:

Mr. Unemployed 39-incher could buy you.


I just want to drive a maserati...


You guys are awesome...compared to bullshit


More dick, less bullshit. Right, luckyme?


Sorry I'm not sorry for partying bro

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later

So just to be absolutely clear - I was going off of this line from KD's email

"Can you accept interviews and alternates that total more than 23? Yes. But if you end up receiving a slot for an alternate and have more than 23 on your list, you will only get interviews for your 23 top-ranked firms (assuming that all can be scheduled)."

and I accepted 23 preselects and 3 alternates. That means I will get only those 23 preselect interviews and 0 alternates, right? Should I send in an email to Career Services being like errrr, never mind about those alternates or will I just be automatically kicked off those?

- Don Draper


From a conversation with KD, if you accept 23 PS and 3 alternates, and you get alternate interviews, the process will go like this. First, CSO will call you to figure out which interviews you want to decline in order to bring you down to 23. Second, CSO will email you to do the same thing. If you don't bother to answer your phone or respond to emails, then they will take your top 23 bids, apparently irrespective of whether they're PS or alternates.

After all PS and alternates are in, if you are at 23 interviews, you will not get any lottery bids. If you're not risk-averse, or if your top bids are not long shots (i.e., they picked you as an alternate), then you might think about dropping down to 21-22 interviews.

Reinschmicker
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Reinschmicker » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:15 pm

Do any OGI interviewers actually ask the behavioral questions the CS docs tell us to be prepared for? In my (admittedly limited) experience with firm interviews outside OGI, I've had nothing but pretty casual back and forth convos about the firm, practice areas, why law school, etc. Just want to know if I really need to prep an answer about a "challenge at work I overcame."

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Just confirmed that I was correct with kd. Am on road but will post more details later

So just to be absolutely clear - I was going off of this line from KD's email

"Can you accept interviews and alternates that total more than 23? Yes. But if you end up receiving a slot for an alternate and have more than 23 on your list, you will only get interviews for your 23 top-ranked firms (assuming that all can be scheduled)."

and I accepted 23 preselects and 3 alternates. That means I will get only those 23 preselect interviews and 0 alternates, right? Should I send in an email to Career Services being like errrr, never mind about those alternates or will I just be automatically kicked off those?

- Don Draper


From a conversation with KD, if you accept 23 PS and 3 alternates, and you get alternate interviews, the process will go like this. First, CSO will call you to figure out which interviews you want to decline in order to bring you down to 23. Second, CSO will email you to do the same thing. If you don't bother to answer your phone or respond to emails, then they will take your top 23 bids, apparently irrespective of whether they're PS or alternates.

After all PS and alternates are in, if you are at 23 interviews, you will not get any lottery bids. If you're not risk-averse, or if your top bids are not long shots (i.e., they picked you as an alternate), then you might think about dropping down to 21-22 interviews.


See, that's how I thought it worked, but Sundance said he/she talked to KD and he said the opposite -- that if you accept 23 preselects, that's it, you can't take any alternates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:24 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So just to be absolutely clear - I was going off of this line from KD's email

"Can you accept interviews and alternates that total more than 23? Yes. But if you end up receiving a slot for an alternate and have more than 23 on your list, you will only get interviews for your 23 top-ranked firms (assuming that all can be scheduled)."

and I accepted 23 preselects and 3 alternates. That means I will get only those 23 preselect interviews and 0 alternates, right? Should I send in an email to Career Services being like errrr, never mind about those alternates or will I just be automatically kicked off those?

- Don Draper


From a conversation with KD, if you accept 23 PS and 3 alternates, and you get alternate interviews, the process will go like this. First, CSO will call you to figure out which interviews you want to decline in order to bring you down to 23. Second, CSO will email you to do the same thing. If you don't bother to answer your phone or respond to emails, then they will take your top 23 bids, apparently irrespective of whether they're PS or alternates.

After all PS and alternates are in, if you are at 23 interviews, you will not get any lottery bids. If you're not risk-averse, or if your top bids are not long shots (i.e., they picked you as an alternate), then you might think about dropping down to 21-22 interviews.


See, that's how I thought it worked, but Sundance said he/she talked to KD and he said the opposite -- that if you accept 23 preselects, that's it, you can't take any alternates.


While I could be mistaken, I think I am correct. I'm the anon from a page or two ago who only accepted 21 PS in order to get the lottery. I have 21 PS and 3 alternates accepted. My concern was that if all three alternates came through, Symplicity would drop my lowest bid. I followed the OGI Handbook and bid a gov. position last. I would rather give up a firm interview than the gov. interview. In this scenario, I was told that I would get called or emailed. If I don't pull two alternates, my last spot or two will go to the lottery. Since my 3 alternates are ranked 1-3, I've a great chance of getting one or two of them in the lottery.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.