2012 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Law Sauce

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 pm

luckyme wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Anyone know if the late picks from Mayer Brown (offices besides DC) are in yet?

stop taking my PS and go back to philly

hmm, not sure who you are, I have my guesses

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
luckyme wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Anyone know if the late picks from Mayer Brown (offices besides DC) are in yet?

Not everyone could be Cravath-Secure

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.33 K-JD Checking in

5 Pre-selects (2 NY, 3 Secondary)
8 Alternates (4 NY, 4 Secondary)

Does this seem standard? Want to make sure there's no glaring problem with my app materials since I'm still mailing other firms.

Definitely seems standard; that's a lot of preselects for someone at the median and k-JD. Good luck, but don't forget to mass mail.

Hmm. I have a 3.31 and I got 10 preselects (2 NY, 3 Chi, the rest scattered secondaries) and 7 alternates (5 NY, 2 secondary). One year structured WE in a totally unrelated field. Could my work experience really make that much of a diff? Your 5 seems like it would be low compared to my data...

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:24 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
luckyme wrote:

Wow, coming out of the woodwork to throw out that gem

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:25 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
luckyme wrote:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:27 pm

luckyme wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
luckyme wrote:

You don't even want the same office as I do

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:27 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
You don't even want the same office as I do

I actually don't think i bid them at all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:05 pm

luckyme wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
luckyme wrote:stop taking my PS and go back to philly

Mr. Unemployed 39-incher? Is that you?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
luckyme wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:

I'm so confused. Make it stop.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
luckyme wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:

Mr. Unemployed 39-incher could buy you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:13 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
luckyme wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:

Edited: Too close to outing and I think I figured it out anyway.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
luckyme wrote:

Edited: Too close to outing and I think I figured it out anyway.

I just want to drive a maserati...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.33 K-JD Checking in

5 Pre-selects (2 NY, 3 Secondary)
8 Alternates (4 NY, 4 Secondary)

Does this seem standard? Want to make sure there's no glaring problem with my app materials since I'm still mailing other firms.

Definitely seems standard; that's a lot of preselects for someone at the median and k-JD. Good luck, but don't forget to mass mail.

Hmm. I have a 3.31 and I got 10 preselects (2 NY, 3 Chi, the rest scattered secondaries) and 7 alternates (5 NY, 2 secondary). One year structured WE in a totally unrelated field. Could my work experience really make that much of a diff? Your 5 seems like it would be low compared to my data...

3.33 anon who posted earlier. I've heard WE helps a lot. Probably also makes a difference what secondary market you targeted. It probably didn't help me that the only secondary I had ties to/targeted was the one that literally the entire class has ties to as well...if your secondaries were in Birmingham or Cincinnati or something I would guess that would help. Or, who knows, my resume could just be weak...our NYC numbers do seem similar though FWIW
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:33 pm

5ky wrote:Up to you guys, should be fine. I can't tell from the way you are phrasing though, so to make sure: you can accept 23 preselects + as many alternates as you would like.

But why would you? You can't convert the alternates into interviews if you accept all 23 PS's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 pm

sundance95 wrote:
5ky wrote:Up to you guys, should be fine. I can't tell from the way you are phrasing though, so to make sure: you can accept 23 preselects + as many alternates as you would like.

But why would you? You can't convert the alternates into interviews if you accept all 23 PS's.

Yes you can. Apparently if you have 23 PS and some of your alternates convert you'll get contacted to choose which 23 you want to keep. (or in the alternative if you're unavailable, you'll get the top 23)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
3.33 anon who posted earlier. I've heard WE helps a lot. Probably also makes a difference what secondary market you targeted. It probably didn't help me that the only secondary I had ties to/targeted was the one that literally the entire class has ties to as well...if your secondaries were in Birmingham or Cincinnati or something I would guess that would help. Or, who knows, my resume could just be weak...our NYC numbers do seem similar though FWIW

I have ties to one pretty insular secondary market (not Birmingham or Cincy) that surely got me preselects with a couple firms. There were 2 other secondaries that I had no ties to (and they are very regionally distant from me and from one another) and I surprisingly received 3 preselects and 2 alternates from them out of 5 total bids. They are solid locations too that I would guess quite a few people bid. I am not from the south or the VA/DC area.

Also FWIW, those three secondary preselects all required cover letters and I tailored the cover letters to what I liked about the region AND about the firm in particular.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 pm

sundance95 wrote:

Yes, you can. See above in multiple places for explanation.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:35 pm

5ky wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Yes, you can. See above in multiple places for explanation.

All due respect, I don't think that's right.
Kevin Donovan wrote: First, any pre-selections that you accept WILL be scheduled for interviews (as long as you don't accept more than 23). Accepting alternates cannot cause you to lose pre-selections. The system should not allow you to accrue more than 23 interviews

This is from KDs email of July 30.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:42 pm

This is from the OGI 2012 handbook and is exactly how it worked last year:

OGI Handbook wrote:Can you accept interviews and alternates that total more than 23?

Yes. But if you end up receiving a slot for an alternate
and have more than 23 on your list, you will only get
interviews for your 23 top-ranked firms (assuming that
all can be scheduled).

I think KD's email meant to say that accepting 23 preselects and 5 alternates does not give you the option of having 28 interviews. If some convert, the system will not allow you to have more than 23 and you will be forced to whittle down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:45 pm

5ky wrote:This is from the OGI 2012 handbook and is exactly how it worked last year:

OGI Handbook wrote:Can you accept interviews and alternates that total more than 23?

Yes. But if you end up receiving a slot for an alternate
and have more than 23 on your list, you will only get
interviews for your 23 top-ranked firms (assuming that
all can be scheduled).

I think KD's email meant to say that accepting 23 preselects and 5 alternates does not give you the option of having 28 interviews. If some convert, the system will not allow you to have more than 23 and you will be forced to whittle down.

Different anon than the one above: Yes but I think that's for a combo of fewer than 23 PS + some number of alts that >23. I do NOT think that speaks to the situation where a person flat out accepts 23 PS. Could be wrong.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:49 pm

Ok. I have a phone appt tom with kd and will post any clarification I get. I hear what you are saying 5KY but I don't want to assume that this ogi is working exactly the same as last year's.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:50 pm

Interesting, it's possible. I'll note that the handbook elsewhere notes that it does not generally recommend to students to decline preselects just to participate in the lottery, and makes no mention of hoping alternates turn into preselects. Someone should email KD and ask, I suppose.

e: and I can't confirm that's how it worked last year, I think I had 1 below the max while I was accepting my alternates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apparently all the cool kids are doing it. Top 5%, WE. Bid NY, DC, three major non-NY/DC markets (M1 strong ties, M2 some ties, M3 no real ties other than loving the city), and one government position.

NY: 14 PS; 3 A / 21 bids
DC: 11 PS; 4 A; Weil(?) / 16 bids
M1: 4 PS / 4 bids
M2: 3 PS / 4 bids
M3: 4 PS / 4 bids
Gov: 1 PS / 1 bid

5ky wrote:I'll note that the handbook elsewhere notes that it does not generally recommend to students to decline preselects just to participate in the lottery, and makes no mention of hoping alternates turn into preselects.

I'm the anon quoted above. KD actually suggested that I only accept ~21 preselects. I'm an alternate at my top two firms, both ranking and actual preference, so I'd have a great chance at picking up one or both through alternates or the lottery. YMMV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Apparently all the cool kids are doing it. Top 5%, WE. Bid NY, DC, three major non-NY/DC markets (M1 strong ties, M2 some ties, M3 no real ties other than loving the city), and one government position.

5ky wrote:I'll note that the handbook elsewhere notes that it does not generally recommend to students to decline preselects just to participate in the lottery, and makes no mention of hoping alternates turn into preselects.

I'm the anon quoted above. KD actually suggested that I only accept ~21 preselects. I'm an alternate at my top two firms, both ranking and actual preference, so I'd have a great chance at picking up one or both through alternates or the lottery. YMMV.

Well that answers it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well that answers it.

Sorry, should have said, so I'd have a great chance at picking up one or both through alternates or the lottery, and a good chance of getting a CB.

Return to “Legal Employment”