2012 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:does vlr ever call privately? and no voicemail?

and if no call we can expect a ding by now right?

What do you mean call privately? As opposed to what? The editor in chief calls whatever number they have for you and extends an invite. And yes, he will leave a voicemail if he misses you. No idea if no call by now = ding, but I would guess that initial calls have all gone out (some people could turn it down/defer, which would open up more).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 am

I mean with a private number.

I didnt know the same person called everyone, sorry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:51 am

I'm not sure that the same person calls everything. Maybe he did. But my call did not come from the EIC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I mean with a private number.

The EIC does not make all the calls; it's divided among members of the law review.

Last year, I got the call from someone other than the EIC. I saw a number on my cell phone that I didn't recognize, so I didn't answer it. No message. They called two more times, so finally I got annoyed, thinking it was my college trying to raise money, and answered.

So in my experience, they may not leave a message at first, but they will definitely call until they reach you because they need to know whether you accept. They will not offer your spot to someone else just because you didn't answer the phone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I mean with a private number.

The EIC does not make all the calls; it's divided among members of the law review.

Last year, I got the call from someone other than the EIC. I saw a number on my cell phone that I didn't recognize, so I didn't answer it. No message. They called two more times, so finally I got annoyed, thinking it was my college trying to raise money, and answered.

So in my experience, they may not leave a message at first, but they will definitely call until they reach you because they need to know whether you accept. They will not offer your spot to someone else just because you didn't answer the phone.

Anon who gave the first answer. Sorry about that. My friend and I both got calls from the EIC, so I assumed that was protocol. I did receive a voicemail when I missed the call, so they do that at least some of the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Do I have any chance of lotterying into a popular NY firm with only 20 interview slots if I put it #7? Put another way, what is the lowest I could bid such a firm while still having a reasonable shot at getting it via lottery?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do I have any chance of lotterying into a popular NY firm with only 20 interview slots if I put it #7? Put another way, what is the lowest I could bid such a firm while still having a reasonable shot at getting it via lottery?

Almost no chance, I would think. Of those 20 slots, only 6-8 (I forget, and don't know if they changed it from last year) are lottery slots. Thus, if 7 people have it in bid 1-6, you would not get it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:38 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do I have any chance of lotterying into a popular NY firm with only 20 interview slots if I put it #7? Put another way, what is the lowest I could bid such a firm while still having a reasonable shot at getting it via lottery?

Almost no chance, I would think. Of those 20 slots, only 6-8 (I forget, and don't know if they changed it from last year) are lottery slots. Thus, if 7 people have it in bid 1-6, you would not get it.

Yea, guess you're right. Damn. Think #2 or #3 would have a decent chance? I just don't want to waste these bids...

Also, if e.g. you get your #1 bid as a pre-select, does your #2 bid become a #1 for lottery purposes? Or does it stay a #2?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 pm

So if I already accepted interviews at career fairs prior to OGI, it's just a waste of bid on those same firms, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if I already accepted interviews at career fairs prior to OGI, it's just a waste of bid on those same firms, right?

Same office, too?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So if I already accepted interviews at career fairs prior to OGI, it's just a waste of bid on those same firms, right?

Same office, too?

All the interviews I got are for CA offices, but you know, some firms have 5 or even 6 CA offices (LA, Century City, OC, SD, SF, SV). I figure they still would not allow one more interview for another CA office, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Do employers see the actual titles we give our docs in Symplicity?

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do employers see the actual titles we give our docs in Symplicity?

I'm reasonably certain I remember Career Services saying that they do, but I'm not 100% sure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Guys, I just got my resume edited by OCS and they took off my LS GPA, which was a 3.307. For some reason I feel weird about this happening.....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 pm

At the risk of sounding utterly insane, can someone who got onto LR confirm that no email has been sent out yet to the new members? Getting accepted was a total surprise and I'm beginning to think it was some hallucination after a few days of no email/announcement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the risk of sounding utterly insane, can someone who got onto LR confirm that no email has been sent out yet to the new members? Getting accepted was a total surprise and I'm beginning to think it was some hallucination after a few days of no email/announcement.

There has been no email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guys, I just got my resume edited by OCS and they took off my LS GPA, which was a 3.307. For some reason I feel weird about this happening.....

Why? It wasn't helping you by being on there. The resume should be your chance to put your best foot forward - a median GPA, which is perfectly respectable, isn't your best foot. Your work experiences, undergrad experiences, and other accomplishments are your selling points, not your GPA in this case. If they care about GPA, they'll look at the transcript and figure it out for themselves.

-'12 Grad

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Guys, I just got my resume edited by OCS and they took off my LS GPA, which was a 3.307. For some reason I feel weird about this happening.....

Why? It wasn't helping you by being on there. The resume should be your chance to put your best foot forward - a median GPA, which is perfectly respectable, isn't your best foot. Your work experiences, undergrad experiences, and other accomplishments are your selling points, not your GPA in this case. If they care about GPA, they'll look at the transcript and figure it out for themselves.

-'12 Grad

I guess you're right. Thanks for being mad helpful (and mysterious) ITT by the way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 pm

I got 5 interviews out of Chicago OTIP (yesterday) and of those only 1 (Jones Day) says to not bid on them for OGI. There are 2 others (Baker McKenzie, Katten) that do not say this and both have NY offices coming to OGI that I was going to bid on as well as their Chi offices. Anyone know what I should do with those? Going to email recruiters tonight but worried I won't hear back in time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got 5 interviews out of Chicago OTIP (yesterday) and of those only 1 (Jones Day) says to not bid on them for OGI. There are 2 others (Baker McKenzie, Katten) that do not say this and both have NY offices coming to OGI that I was going to bid on as well as their Chi offices. Anyone know what I should do with those? Going to email recruiters tonight but worried I won't hear back in time.

This is one of those times that I think you should ask career services. They have a better sense of what firms prefer and how these sorts of interview programs should fit in with OGI. Plus, you can never go wrong talking to K Don.

-'12 Grad

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:

Yea, guess you're right. Damn. Think #2 or #3 would have a decent chance? I just don't want to waste these bids...

Also, if e.g. you get your #1 bid as a pre-select, does your #2 bid become a #1 for lottery purposes? Or does it stay a #2?

Same question here

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:02 am

5ky wrote:

So, for the sake of math dumbasses, when OCS tells us to focus on first 15-20 for lottery, it's more like first 5-10? I have median grades and almost entirely big popular NYC firms in and a little above my grade range for my top 10 bids. Hoping something will pan out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got 5 interviews out of Chicago OTIP (yesterday) and of those only 1 (Jones Day) says to not bid on them for OGI. There are 2 others (Baker McKenzie, Katten) that do not say this and both have NY offices coming to OGI that I was going to bid on as well as their Chi offices. Anyone know what I should do with those? Going to email recruiters tonight but worried I won't hear back in time.

I had this same question (except for Dallas and LA). I asked Career Services today. They said if I still want to, go ahead and bid on the New York offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I had this same question (except for Dallas and LA). I asked Career Services today. They said if I still want to, go ahead and bid on the New York offices.

awesome, thank you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:10 am

What's conventional TLS wisdom on bidding multiple offices? Like, 2 for instance. Not like 5. OCS never really gives a straight answer but it feels to me like it wouldn't actually be advantageous despite your odds objectively improving

Return to “Legal Employment”