2012 UVA OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:11 pm

desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could someone help me with my bidding list? Any input is appreciated. 3.53 with a few small point-adding criteria (WE, language, etc.).

These are all NYC firms; I'm filling the rest with firms from secondary markets I have ties to. I kinda ranked the firms in the sequence of how much I want to work there, so it doesn't necessarily correlate with Vault ranking or grade selectivity. Also, I'm leaning towards corporate.

Debevoise
DPW
Hogan Lovells
Cahill, Gordon & Reindel
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan
Simpson
Chadbourne & Parke
Cleary
Weil
Cooley
Orrick
Covington & Burling
Linklaters
Bracewell & Giuliani
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
White & Case
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy
Fried Frank
Shearman & Sterling
Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Paul Hastings
Akin Gump
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Morgan Lewis & Bockius
Seward & Kissel
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle
Proskauer Rose
Dechert
Baker Hostetler
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Skadden
Winston & Strawn
Why no GDC?
Why not Skadden higher?
OP for this post. I'm applying to another office of GDC.

As for Skadden, I feel like if I don't get its preselect or alternative, I don't want it bad enough to use a lottery. But considering it's actually outisde my grade range, should I just take it off my list?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could someone help me with my bidding list? Any input is appreciated. 3.53 with a few small point-adding criteria (WE, language, etc.).

These are all NYC firms; I'm filling the rest with firms from secondary markets I have ties to. I kinda ranked the firms in the sequence of how much I want to work there, so it doesn't necessarily correlate with Vault ranking or grade selectivity. Also, I'm leaning towards corporate.

Debevoise
DPW
Hogan Lovells
Cahill, Gordon & Reindel
Simpson
Chadbourne & Parke
Cleary
Weil
Cooley
Orrick
Covington & Burling
Linklaters
Bracewell & Giuliani
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
White & Case
Fried Frank
Shearman & Sterling
Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Paul Hastings
Akin Gump
Morgan Lewis & Bockius
Seward & Kissel
Proskauer Rose
Dechert
Baker Hostetler
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Skadden
Winston & Strawn
Why no GDC?
Why not Skadden higher?

As for Skadden, I feel like if I don't get its preselect or alternative, I don't want it bad enough to use a lottery. But considering it's actually outisde my grade range, should I just take it off my list?
I'd keep it. It's tricky, because a lot of the firms with lower GPAs have substantially smaller summer classes. For instance, I'd think you had a better chance at snagging an offer from Skadden than Cooley, for example. Their NYC is very small, with 2/1/6 SAs over the past three years, at least on NALP. They will probably call back very, very few people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone know when we find out about LR? Its after Bids have been submitted right?
--LinkRemoved--

It says late July/early August. Kinda frustrating that it's not out before bidding closes.
vamedic03 wrote: As a side note to the rising 2L's, you will have all your grades before the bid deadline - Law Review has always been announced prior to the bid deadline. If I recall correctly, Law Review was announced around July 6th last year.
I know it say late July/early August, but I have heard this from multiple people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone know when we find out about LR? Its after Bids have been submitted right?
--LinkRemoved--

It says late July/early August. Kinda frustrating that it's not out before bidding closes.
In 2010 and 2011, calls went out a few days before the bid deadline. That's what VLR aims to do, but unfortunately, it really comes down to how lazy Cary Bennett is. If SRO doesn't feel like compiling the list of the 25 top students, then nothing can be done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm somewhere in the top third and really would like to be in NY. Most of the firms only have 40 slots though, and some only 20. If over 100 people bid on each of these firms, like last year, won't the firms just preselect roughly the same 28 people with the best resumes and grades? I'm having a hard time seeing how this system doesn't disadvantage those of us with less than stellar grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm somewhere in the top third and really would like to be in NY. Most of the firms only have 40 slots though, and some only 20. If over 100 people bid on each of these firms, like last year, won't the firms just preselect roughly the same 28 people with the best resumes and grades? I'm having a hard time seeing how this system doesn't disadvantage those of us with less than stellar grades.
You will see a lot of the same people for the same firms, over and over. But, surprisingly, it is not always the case. More importantly, because you are capped at 23 interviews, those people with stellar grades/resumes will have to decline a large chunk, which will flow down to those behind them (where alternates turn into preselects). This is also why a lottery interview isn't necessarily a waste of time if you bid on a firm and did not get preselected. The firm might try to preselect only the very top students -- students who, historically, have gone on to better firms. Thus, while they did not preselect you, this was more a consequence of the firm's trying to "trade up", rather than a reflection on you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:04 pm

I interviewed with a firm in my target market as a 1L and made what I thought was a pretty good impression. I didn't get an offer but was told by the recruiting person that they would be very interested in me for a 2L SA. I also remember her mentioning staying in touch.

My question is this. While the firm is coming to OGI, is it appropriate to email the coordinator and mention that I am still very interested in the firm and am looking forward to bidding on them? I think it is important to maintain the connection because a different office is doing the screening for OGI. I would also like to mention that I am in town for the summer and would like to submit my materials early. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:13 pm

VLR invites will be going out early this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:VLR invites will be going out early this week.
Slackers.

'12 Grad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a firm in my target market as a 1L and made what I thought was a pretty good impression. I didn't get an offer but was told by the recruiting person that they would be very interested in me for a 2L SA. I also remember her mentioning staying in touch.

My question is this. While the firm is coming to OGI, is it appropriate to email the coordinator and mention that I am still very interested in the firm and am looking forward to bidding on them? I think it is important to maintain the connection because a different office is doing the screening for OGI. I would also like to mention that I am in town for the summer and would like to submit my materials early. Thoughts?
I would email your contact with the following information:

-You are still very interested in Firm X
-You are providing them with an updated resume and transcript
-You will be in town from Date X to Date Y this summer

It's far easier to get a callback (even if its just a courtesy callback) when it involves minimal expense (beyond attorney time) for the firm.

'12 Grad

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm somewhere in the top third and really would like to be in NY. Most of the firms only have 40 slots though, and some only 20. If over 100 people bid on each of these firms, like last year, won't the firms just preselect roughly the same 28 people with the best resumes and grades? I'm having a hard time seeing how this system doesn't disadvantage those of us with less than stellar grades.
My understanding is that career services actively counsels firms not to do this. They try to get firms to preselect the students who are most likely to interview/accept offers with that firm. They don't want a NLJ 250 firm to waste their time with all top 5% students when it's unlikely that those students would take an offer; rather, they want to match that firm with the best, realistic candidates.

Also, I'm not sure if people have been starting to beat this drum yet, but you should actively target firms that you would be a good candidate for and make special requests for those firms. And, if a firm has a hospitality suite (and you don't have an interview scheduled with them), you should go talk to the recruiter, give them your resume and transcript, and tell them that you're very interested with them and would like to have the opportunity to speak with them. Yeah, it's awkward, but if you're nice and friendly (no, you don't need to act like a politician) you have a good shot at having them fit you into a lunch break or at the end of the day. At the very least, you haven't hurt yourself, and in the best case scenario, you'll get a screener that results in a callback.

'12 Grad

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:03 am

All good help that people appreciate, I'm sure. But that seems overboard for needing to be anonymous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Debevoise
DPW
Hogan Lovells
Cahill, Gordon & Reindel
Simpson
Chadbourne & Parke
Cleary
Weil
Cooley
Orrick
Covington & Burling
Linklaters
Bracewell & Giuliani
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
White & Case
Fried Frank
Shearman & Sterling
Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Paul Hastings
Akin Gump
Morgan Lewis & Bockius
Seward & Kissel
Proskauer Rose
Dechert
Baker Hostetler
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Skadden
Winston & Strawn
Why no GDC?
Why not Skadden higher?

(a) Why no Latham? Especially for a NY corporate practice?
(b) I would keep Skadden... But, I would consider dropping Covington - their NYC office is small and only takes 4-5 summers (I don't know if NYC is the same as DC, but DC is about as grade snobby as you can get).
(c) What about Kirkland NY? As a grad, I don't have access to the grade info, but their NY office is far less selective than the DC or Chi offices. Same with Sidley NY.

'12 Grad

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:24 am

Kirkland NY is not interviewing at OGI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:13 am

Ok, tentative bidlist here. 3.45-3.46, K-JD. More interested in Dallas and LA than NY, but limited ties. My concern is that my top 20 may be a bit overly ambitious, but I'd appreciate any thoughts. All offices are NY unless otherwise specified.

1. Sidley Austin
2. Chadbourne & Parke
3. Kasowitz
4. Fried Frank
5. Milbank
6. Weil
7. Latham (LA)
8. Haynes & Boone (Dallas)
9. Willkie
10. Baker Botts (Dallas)
11. MoFo (LA)
12. Schulte, Roth & Zabel
13. O'Melveny (Century City)
14. Cadwalader
15. Akin Gump
16. Skadden
17. DPW
18. K&L Gates (Dallas)
19. Fulbright & Jaworski (Dallas)
20. Stroock
21. Simpson, Thacher & Bartlett
22. Vinson & Elkins (Dallas)
23. Cahill
24. White & Case
25. Winston & Strawn (LA)
26. Dechert
27. Proskauer
28. Shearman & Sterling
29. King & Spalding
30. Katten Muchin Rosenman
31. Orrick
32. Pillsbury
33. Paul Hastings
34. WilmerHale
35. Alston & Bird
36. Baker Hostetler
37. Andrews Kurth (Dallas)
38. Morgan Lewis
39. Seward & Kissel
40. Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle
41. Venable
42. Mayer Brown
43. Brown Rudnick
44. Carrington Coleman (Dallas)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, tentative bidlist here. 3.45-3.46, K-JD. More interested in Dallas and LA than NY, but limited ties. My concern is that my top 20 may be a bit overly ambitious, but I'd appreciate any thoughts. All offices are NY unless otherwise specified.

1. Sidley Austin
2. Chadbourne & Parke
3. Kasowitz
4. Fried Frank
5. Milbank
6. Weil
7. Latham (LA)
9. Willkie
10. Baker Botts (Dallas)
11. MoFo (LA)
14. Cadwalader
15. Akin Gump
16. Skadden
17. DPW
18. K&L Gates (Dallas)
20. Stroock
23. Cahill
24. White & Case
26. Dechert
27. Proskauer
28. Shearman & Sterling
29. King & Spalding
31. Orrick
32. Pillsbury
33. Paul Hastings
34. WilmerHale
35. Alston & Bird
36. Baker Hostetler
38. Morgan Lewis
39. Seward & Kissel
41. Venable
42. Mayer Brown
43. Brown Rudnick
Lit I'm assuming? Any logic to your top 5, or just target-ish firms with not a lot of interview slots?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ok, tentative bidlist here. 3.45-3.46, K-JD. More interested in Dallas and LA than NY, but limited ties. My concern is that my top 20 may be a bit overly ambitious, but I'd appreciate any thoughts. All offices are NY unless otherwise specified.

1. Sidley Austin
2. Chadbourne & Parke
3. Kasowitz
4. Fried Frank
5. Milbank
6. Weil
7. Latham (LA)
9. Willkie
10. Baker Botts (Dallas)
11. MoFo (LA)
14. Cadwalader
15. Akin Gump
16. Skadden
17. DPW
18. K&L Gates (Dallas)
20. Stroock
23. Cahill
24. White & Case
26. Dechert
27. Proskauer
28. Shearman & Sterling
29. King & Spalding
31. Orrick
32. Pillsbury
33. Paul Hastings
34. WilmerHale
35. Alston & Bird
36. Baker Hostetler
38. Morgan Lewis
39. Seward & Kissel
41. Venable
42. Mayer Brown
43. Brown Rudnick
Lit I'm assuming? Any logic to your top 5, or just target-ish firms with not a lot of interview slots?
Mostly interested in lit, yes (hence the high Kasowitz bid). And yeah, most of the top five are target-ish firms that generally have very high bid/screener ratios.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:41 pm

2Ls and 3Ls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2Ls and 3Ls?
Word on the street is that 2Ls should receive invites this week, but it could always be a little later. No clue about 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
2Ls and 3Ls?
Word on the street is that 2Ls should receive invites this week, but it could always be a little later. No clue about 3Ls.
Last year 3L invites went out at the same time as 2L invites. That said, the 3L grade cutoff (for non-transfers) is identical to the 2L grade cutoff from the previous year, so 3Ls should know by now whether or not they made it (technically only 5 3Ls at most can be accepted this way, but it's extremely unlikely more than 5 3Ls will jump above the 2L cutoff). 3Ls who transferred are required to get at least the median GPA of the 2L grade-ons, which is probably somewhere in the low 3.8s.

Also, VLR calls generally go out over a window of several hours because it's hard to coordinate perfectly. So just because your douchebag friend brags about getting a call doesn't necessarily mean you missed the boat.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:56 pm

So invites should be out before Sunday? It would be kind of hilarious if lr gave absolutely zero preselect boost because of sro incompetence.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
2Ls and 3Ls?
Last year 3L invites went out at the same time as 2L invites. That said, the 3L grade cutoff (for non-transfers) is identical to the 2L grade cutoff from the previous year, so 3Ls should know by now whether or not they made it (technically only 5 3Ls at most can be accepted this way, but it's extremely unlikely more than 5 3Ls will jump above the 2L cutoff). 3Ls who transferred are required to get at least the median GPA of the 2L grade-ons, which is probably somewhere in the low 3.8s.

Also, VLR calls generally go out over a window of several hours because it's hard to coordinate perfectly. So just because your douchebag friend brags about getting a call doesn't necessarily mean you missed the boat.
Has last year's cut off ever been released?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Has last year's cut off ever been released?
By VLR's bylaws, it has to have been released.

For what it's worth, in 2003, the cutoff was a 3.74. It's apparently generally between a 3.71 and 3.75.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 pm

sundance95 wrote:So invites should be out before Sunday? It would be kind of hilarious if lr gave absolutely zero preselect boost because of sro incompetence.
I've heard the calls should go out this week, but I have no firsthand knowledge. The past two years they went out the week before the Sunday bid deadline (Thursday morning and afternoon in 2010, and Tuesday evening in 2011).
Anonymous User wrote:Has last year's cut off ever been released?
Usually it's posted on a piece of paper outside VLR's office in the fall, but obviously that's of no use to you now. I think it was a 3.73ish.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:07 pm

VLR calls are currently going out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”