2012 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:04 pm

Can anyone shed some light on the NY firms to prioritize for someone slightly below median?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone shed some light on the NY firms to prioritize for someone slightly below median?

Allen & Overy
Alston & Bird
Baker & McKenzie
Baker Hostelter
Blank Rome
Bracewell & Giuliani
Brown Rudnick
Bryan Cave
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft
Cahill, Gordon, Reindel
Chadbourne & Parke
Clifford Chance
Cooley
Crowell & Moring
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle
Dechert
Debevoise
Dewey & LeBoeuf
Epstein Becker Green
Foley & Larder
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson
Fullbright & Jaworski
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
Haynes & Boone
Holland & Knight
Jones Day
K&L Gates
Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton
King & Spalding
Latham
Mayer Brown
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy
Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius
Nixon Peabody
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
Proskauer Rose
Quinn Emmanuel
Schulte Roth & Zabel
Seward & Kissel
Sheaman & Sterling
Sidley Austin
Troutman Sanders
Venable
Vinson & Elkins
Wiel, Gotshal & Manges
White & Case
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
WilmerHale
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Winston & Strawn

pjo

Postby pjo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone shed some light on the NY firms to prioritize for someone slightly below median?

Allen & Overy
Alston & Bird
Baker & McKenzie
Baker Hostelter
Blank Rome
Bracewell & Giuliani
Brown Rudnick
Bryan Cave
Cahill, Gordon, Reindel
Chadbourne & Parke
Clifford Chance
Cooley
Crowell & Moring
Dechert
Debevoise
Dewey & LeBoeuf
Epstein Becker Green
Foley & Larder
Fullbright & Jaworski
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
Haynes & Boone
Holland & Knight
Jones Day
K&L Gates
Katten Muchin Rosenman
King & Spalding
Latham
Mayer Brown
Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius
Nixon Peabody
Proskauer Rose
Quinn Emmanuel
Schulte Roth & Zabel
Seward & Kissel
Sheaman & Sterling
Sidley Austin
Troutman Sanders
Venable
Vinson & Elkins
Wiel, Gotshal & Manges
White & Case
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
WilmerHale
Winston & Strawn

Dewey & LeBoeuf eh? Probably only if you're specializing in bankruptcy.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Allen & Overy
Alston & Bird
Baker & McKenzie
Baker Hostelter
Blank Rome
Bracewell & Giuliani
Brown Rudnick
Bryan Cave
Cahill, Gordon, Reindel
Chadbourne & Parke
Clifford Chance
Cooley
Crowell & Moring
Dechert
Debevoise
Dewey & LeBoeuf
Epstein Becker Green
Foley & Larder
Fullbright & Jaworski
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
Haynes & Boone
Holland & Knight
Jones Day
K&L Gates
Katten Muchin Rosenman
King & Spalding
Latham
Mayer Brown
Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius
Nixon Peabody
Proskauer Rose
Quinn Emmanuel
Schulte Roth & Zabel
Seward & Kissel
Sheaman & Sterling
Sidley Austin
Troutman Sanders
Venable
Vinson & Elkins
Wiel, Gotshal & Manges
White & Case
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
WilmerHale
Winston & Strawn

I wouldn't call those targets for someone slightly below median. Those are pretty massive reaches...

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:42 pm

I agree, but with 50 bids on NYC you will run out of "targets" for median or lower.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:49 pm

A Swift wrote:I agree, but with 50 bids on NYC you will run out of "targets" for median or lower.

You're better off putting those bids on firms in random cities - even those you have no ties to - than on firms like Debevoise, Gibson, Quinn, etc. who definitely aren't interested in anyone below a 3.5 or 3.6

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:58 pm

RVP11 wrote:
A Swift wrote:I agree, but with 50 bids on NYC you will run out of "targets" for median or lower.

You're better off putting those bids on firms in random cities - even those you have no ties to - than on firms like Debevoise, Gibson, Quinn, etc. who definitely aren't interested in anyone below a 3.5 or 3.6

Credited, but a lot of those firms are listed above (Morgan Lewis, K&L Gates, etc.). It might be helpful to list where median has a shot of over-performing with a great lottery interview.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:11 pm

A Swift wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Credited, but a lot of those firms are listed above (Morgan Lewis, K&L Gates, etc.). It might be helpful to list where median has a shot of over-performing with a great lottery interview.

I'm not talking about bidding Morgan Lewis Philly instead of Quinn NY. Obviously if you want NY, you should be bidding on every NY office where your GPA gives you a shot.

I'm talking about bidding random mid-size firms that come to OGI instead of, for example, Gibson Dunn. Your 1 in 100 chance of convincing a guy from a random mid-size Denver firm (or whatever) that you want to be in his city is better than your 1 in 1,000,000 chance that your interviewer and the entire hiring committee of Gibson Dunn overlooks your 3.2

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:29 pm

If you're below median, you should do anything you can to improve your chances of getting an offer somewhere. I get that you want to be in NYC, but your first priority should be to get a job.

If you have any remote connections anywhere, bid firms in those cities over the bolded firms above where your chances are pretty much 0%. Even without connections to a market, I would bid the firms there over places you have no chance at.

Being below median doesn't mean you're out of the biglaw picture, but it does mean you don't really have the cushion to pick and choose what market you want to work at.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Original anon here. I should have been more clear with the initial query. I am under the impression that there are a decent number of NYC firms that may dip a little below median in some instances. However, I am guessing there are a ton of bids used on those firms. I think that I have my fifty cumulative bids figured out for the most part, but I am trying to figure out what NYC firms would be good to stack in my top five or so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Can someone who has had a counseling appointment with Career Services speak to what exactly happens during the appointment? I know it's just 30 minutes but do you just tell them your GPA and they pull up a list of firms that are in your range?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone who has had a counseling appointment with Career Services speak to what exactly happens during the appointment? I know it's just 30 minutes but do you just tell them your GPA and they pull up a list of firms that are in your range?

You ask them whatever questions you want and they answer them (sort of). They may give you some firms in your range if you ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Looking for some recommendations on what firms I should bid on. Here's a bit about me:

I have a 3.52 and would prefer to stay in DC (I have strong ties), but I'm reserving about 1/3 of my bids for NYC to be safe. I care about work-life quality more than any other factor, meaning that I want tolerable hours and a collegial culture. Prestige is significantly less important to me. I hope to go into corporate litigation, but I don't have a really specific area of interest. I have limited but relevant work experience.

I'm obviously doing Vault research, but I'd love to hear what you guys know about DC/NYC firms with good reputations for work-life quality.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for some recommendations on what firms I should bid on. Here's a bit about me:

I have a 3.52 and would prefer to stay in DC (I have strong ties), but I'm reserving about 1/3 of my bids for NYC to be safe. I care about work-life quality more than any other factor, meaning that I want tolerable hours and a collegial culture. Prestige is significantly less important to me. I hope to go into corporate litigation, but I don't have a really specific area of interest. I have limited but relevant work experience.

I'm obviously doing Vault research, but I'd love to hear what you guys know about DC/NYC firms with good reputations for work-life quality.

If work-life quality is your number one and prestige is unimportant, why are you targeting NYC at all. Why don't you try to find some connections you have to other secondary markets. If you really are feeling unsafe you could throw a few NYC bids, but if you could find another secondary market to be a safety that makes more sense (or find some firms in secondary markets that are particularly good at corporate lit and target them, see chambers and partners, if a firm has a strength and you show that you want that, ties can be less important).

Maybe places like Charlotte, Raleigh, VA, even ATL, even without much ties besides going to UVA and wanting to settle down in a secondary market and/or being a southern. I know ties are important in places like these, but talking to UVA alum at the firm can show interest just as much. Mailing places like this outside of OGI also makes sense since NYC seems like the worst case scenario.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Law Sauce wrote:If work-life quality is your number one and prestige is unimportant, why are you targeting NYC at all. Why don't you try to find some connections you have to other secondary markets. If you really are feeling unsafe you could throw a few NYC bids, but if you could find another secondary market to be a safety that makes more sense (or find some firms in secondary markets that are particularly good at corporate lit and target them, see chambers and partners, if a firm has a strength and you show that you want that, ties can be less important).

Maybe places like Charlotte, Raleigh, VA, even ATL, even without much ties besides going to UVA and wanting to settle down in a secondary market and/or being a southern. I know ties are important in places like these, but talking to UVA alum at the firm can show interest just as much. Mailing places like this outside of OGI also makes sense since NYC seems like the worst case scenario.

Ties aren't really important for Atlanta. In fact, with a 3.5 I would recommend he bid there. Atlanta firms rather have a 3.5 UVA student with no ties to Atlanta than one from Atlanta/Georgia with a 3.3 or below. He should bid King and Spalding, Alston, Jones Day, and Paul Hastings. They really won't care much about lack of ties.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:36 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:If work-life quality is your number one and prestige is unimportant, why are you targeting NYC at all. Why don't you try to find some connections you have to other secondary markets. If you really are feeling unsafe you could throw a few NYC bids, but if you could find another secondary market to be a safety that makes more sense (or find some firms in secondary markets that are particularly good at corporate lit and target them, see chambers and partners, if a firm has a strength and you show that you want that, ties can be less important).

Ties aren't really important for Atlanta. In fact, with a 3.5 I would recommend he bid there. Atlanta firms rather have a 3.5 UVA student with no ties to Atlanta than one from Atlanta/Georgia with a 3.3 or below. He should bid King and Spalding, Alston, Jones Day, and Paul Hastings. They really won't care much about lack of ties.

Nice. There you go. I'd still think that emailing Alums to talk and trying to think of any and all ties/reasons for wanting to be in ATL would be a good idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Work-life quality loving, prestige-apathetic anon here. Thanks a lot for the helpful advice.

Outside of DC and NYC, I only have connections to a small Northeastern city where I really, really don't want to return. I'm very interested in Atlanta, but I was under the impression that Atlanta firms generally cared about ties. I'll talk to Career Services about bidding some ATL firms.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Work-life quality loving, prestige-apathetic anon here. Thanks a lot for the helpful advice.

Outside of DC and NYC, I only have connections to a small Northeastern city where I really, really don't want to return. I'm very interested in Atlanta, but I was under the impression that Atlanta firms generally cared about ties. I'll talk to Career Services about bidding some ATL firms.

Qualifier: fellow 1L, so I haven't been through OGI yet.

That said, based on my conversations with attorneys, plenty of whom ended up in various cities without ties, the important thing to remember is that ties themselves aren't what the firm is looking for. What firms care about is that they're getting someone who they might be able to keep. They don't want to invest in someone who starts off day one already thinking they're going to put in 2-3 years and then flee for another city or another sector. Ties are simply the most reliable way they can judge this. Most students with a 3.5 from a T14 are looking NYC or DC. When an Atlanta firm sees you, they assume you're simply fishing for a few backups and will be looking to leave once an opportunity opens. If you're from Atlanta or have family in Atlanta or worked in Atlanta, then they're more likely to think that you actually want to be in Atlanta.

So all that said, it's never impossible to get somewhere without ties. But you're going to have to sell them that you want to work there long-term. The easiest way to do that is with ties, but it's not the only way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:07 am

This is more of a massmail question than OGI, but I'm hoping to get some advice. I interviewied with a firm in my home secondary market over winter break (biggest firm in the market). A week before grades came out in the spring, the partner who I met with (also a UVa alum) emailed me asking if I had received my grades and if I would be able to come to the city sometime for lunch or dinner. He also said that he might be able to waive my screening interview at OGI. When grades were released I sent them to him and told him I would be available any time this summer to meet up. That was over 3 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything since then. My grades are median, but I checked with career services and the past two years this firm gave callbacks to people below my GPA. Should I send an email and follow-up or just leave it alone? This firm is in the top 2 or 3 that I would be interested in working with.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is more of a massmail question than OGI, but I'm hoping to get some advice. I interviewied with a firm in my home secondary market over winter break (biggest firm in the market). A week before grades came out in the spring, the partner who I met with (also a UVa alum) emailed me asking if I had received my grades and if I would be able to come to the city sometime for lunch or dinner. He also said that he might be able to waive my screening interview at OGI. When grades were released I sent them to him and told him I would be available any time this summer to meet up. That was over 3 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything since then. My grades are median, but I checked with career services and the past two years this firm gave callbacks to people below my GPA. Should I send an email and follow-up or just leave it alone? This firm is in the top 2 or 3 that I would be interested in working with.

Im sure they have it. You could send a casual "just want to confirm that you received my spring grades" email, or you could go with, an "update, Im going to be in town on x,y,z dates, maybe we can meet then" email. Personally, I think its probably better to wait a couple more weeks, its possible he just forwarded your email on to the hiring committee which has not started meeting yet. Seems to me that we are pretty much at the mercy of the firms as far as timing stuff, and firms seem to go at totally different speeds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Could someone help me with my bidding list? Any input is appreciated. 3.53 with a few small point-adding criteria (WE, language, etc.).

These are all NYC firms; I'm filling the rest with firms from secondary markets I have ties to. I kinda ranked the firms in the sequence of how much I want to work there, so it doesn't necessarily correlate with Vault ranking or grade selectivity. Also, I'm leaning towards corporate.

Debevoise
DPW
Hogan Lovells
Cahill, Gordon & Reindel
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan
Simpson
Chadbourne & Parke
Cleary
Weil
Cooley
Orrick
Covington & Burling
Linklaters
Bracewell & Giuliani
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
White & Case
Fried Frank
Shearman & Sterling
Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Paul Hastings
Akin Gump
Morgan Lewis & Bockius
Seward & Kissel
Proskauer Rose
Dechert
Baker Hostetler
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Skadden
Winston & Strawn

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Could someone help me with my bidding list? Any input is appreciated. 3.53 with a few small point-adding criteria (WE, language, etc.).

These are all NYC firms; I'm filling the rest with firms from secondary markets I have ties to. I kinda ranked the firms in the sequence of how much I want to work there, so it doesn't necessarily correlate with Vault ranking or grade selectivity. Also, I'm leaning towards corporate.

Debevoise
DPW
Hogan Lovells
Cahill, Gordon & Reindel
Simpson
Chadbourne & Parke
Cleary
Weil
Cooley
Orrick
Covington & Burling
Linklaters
Bracewell & Giuliani
Willkie Farr & Gallagher
White & Case
Fried Frank
Shearman & Sterling
Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Paul Hastings
Akin Gump
Morgan Lewis & Bockius
Seward & Kissel
Proskauer Rose
Dechert
Baker Hostetler
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Skadden
Winston & Strawn

Why no GDC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:41 pm

anyone know when we find out about LR? Its after Bids have been submitted right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know when we find out about LR? Its after Bids have been submitted right?

--LinkRemoved--

It says late July/early August. Kinda frustrating that it's not out before bidding closes.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could someone help me with my bidding list? Any input is appreciated. 3.53 with a few small point-adding criteria (WE, language, etc.).

Debevoise
DPW
Hogan Lovells
Cahill, Gordon & Reindel
Simpson
Chadbourne & Parke
Cleary
Weil
Cooley
Orrick
Covington & Burling