2012 UVA OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
5ky

Diamond

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Post by 5ky » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Considering cancelling/declining callbacks with Akin Gump, Pillsbury, Cadwalader, Orick, and Wilkie (all NY)... Is this stupid for someone that's interested in litigation? I already have an offer from a firm that I would be comfortable accepting, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot or anything.
Not stupid if you would take your offer over any of those listed. I think Willkie is decently strong for lit, although you didn't say what your offer was.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:14 am

Loving the "omggggg travel is the worsssssssssst!!!!!!!!!" posts all over facebook. Fortunately I have enough callbacks to be comfortable, but can definitely see how those with fewer/none would be offended. Let's chill with those, guys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Loving the "omggggg travel is the worsssssssssst!!!!!!!!!" posts all over facebook. Fortunately I have enough callbacks to be comfortable, but can definitely see how those with fewer/none would be offended. Let's chill with those, guys.
+ 1, a few of the posts I've seen have been so asinine that they have the potential to end up on ATL and make us all look bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Loving the "omggggg travel is the worsssssssssst!!!!!!!!!" posts all over facebook. Fortunately I have enough callbacks to be comfortable, but can definitely see how those with fewer/none would be offended. Let's chill with those, guys.
+ 1, a few of the posts I've seen have been so asinine that they have the potential to end up on ATL and make us all look bad.
One of my "friends" posted a pic of the hotel they were staying at on their profile, I think this is the height of arrogance

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
One of my "friends" posted a pic of the hotel they were staying at on their profile, I think this is the height of arrogance
Haha I saw this as well, also thought it was fucking arrogant as all

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Saw that too. I have always thought arrogance has some substantive foundation. Posting the hotel picture is more in line with ignorance and social retardation.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Saw that too. I have always thought arrogance has some substantive foundation. Posting the hotel picture is more in line with ignorance and social retardation.
Yea people enjoying their success are so ignorant, socially retarded, and arrogant.

Personally, I wouldn't post a picture of the hotel on Facebook but it is pretty ridiculous to fault people for enjoying an exciting time in their life and wanting to share it with their friends and family. Consider the fact that the vast majority of most people's Facebook friends are not other law students, let alone law students who are not doing well in the job process right now.

Obviously we shouldn't post pictures of our vacations because people who can't afford to go on vacations will likely be offended...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Heat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Saw that too. I have always thought arrogance has some substantive foundation. Posting the hotel picture is more in line with ignorance and social retardation.
Yea people enjoying their success are so ignorant, socially retarded, and arrogant.

Personally, I wouldn't post a picture of the hotel on Facebook but it is pretty ridiculous to fault people for enjoying an exciting time in their life and wanting to share it with their friends and family. Consider the fact that the vast majority of most people's Facebook friends are not other law students, let alone law students who are not doing well in the job process right now.

Obviously we shouldn't post pictures of our vacations because people who can't afford to go on vacations will likely be offended...
I wasn't offended by that post and think the person who posted it is a decent guy. BUT I'm also pretty sure that they're capable of figuring out how to use the privacy settings on Facebook.

It's fine to be excited. Just know your audience, and consider other people's feelings. (However, I think most people occasionally mess up on that front, and there's no need to start a witch hunt when they do. On the whole, I think law students are oversensitive and insufficiently compassionate.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Today, during a cb, I asked the freaking Global Head of the Hiring Committee of Firm X on what one of her practice areas was like because it sounded like something I want to do. She got a blank look on her face and said, "I don't do that practice area. You must have gotten me mixed up with someone else" when her company profile CLEARLY reads that she's involved in work with that practice group. She then launched into this giant spiel on what that practice area does. I had really clicked with the two interviewers before me, this is one of my top firms, and now I feel like I just colossally fucked up because no one has bothered to update her profile.

Should I have spoken up about what the website said? I know it won't help for this firm, but maybe it can help in the future.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:59 am

I've seen this a ton this year. Lots of pictures at the airport, pictures at the hotel, pictures of 2Ls who just happen to be in NYC on a Tuesday in late August (I wonder how?!). It's one thing to talk about callbacks in person, because you are able to gauge the person's own level of success and tailor the conversation accordingly. But posting on Facebook - especially regarding the excessive luxuries of callbacks like nice hotels, free trips to big cities, etc. - is like rubbing it in the face of everyone you know.

I never saw this from the classes of 2012 or 2013, and I never expected the class of 2014 to be so tactless. If even one person in my law school class had posted on Facebook a status similar to what I've seen from many class of 2014 people, they would have been mocked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:28 pm

1l here at uva. what seems to be the grade cut off for getting offers in big law or jag?

also, how are people faring at getting into markets they don't have specific ties to other than NYC and DC? I'm hoping to live in either LA or MIA.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1l here at uva. what seems to be the grade cut off for getting offers in big law or jag?

also, how are people faring at getting into markets they don't have specific ties to other than NYC and DC? I'm hoping to live in either LA or MIA.
PM me for LA/Cali questions. Most markets now-a-days want some sort of ties or a really good reason why you're not going to leave.

Grade cut-off for BigLaw depends on the market you're going to (biggest factor probably), followed by your work experience and how you interview. It seems like top 1/4 will open most all of the doors in NYC and many in DC. Top 1/3 will open many doors in NYC and some in D.C. Median will open some in NYC and not many in D.C. That's what it seemed like during last year's OGI. I'm not familiar with the Miami market or with jag. You'll need to talk to others.

But you're a freaking 1L. Enjoy your first month of 1L partying/mixers/events at this glorious place, then start worrying about exams and your performance against your peers. And then after you do 1L spring again, come back and ask us what your chances are. Until then, don't sweat it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:05 pm

the people are great here - really a cool bunch - def the coolest law school in the country. however, i'm here to get a good job so limit myself to 1 night/mixer a week especially if I'm watching football every saturday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the people are great here - really a cool bunch - def the coolest law school in the country. however, i'm here to get a good job so limit myself to 1 night/mixer a week especially if I'm watching football every saturday.
I am not trying to be a dick, but, posting in the UVA OGI thread questions about grade cutoffs and how you want to get a good job is not what you should be doing right now. You are already here. Work hard and enjoy yourself as much as you can. Once you have some grades you can start thinking about how that translates into employment prospects.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:55 pm

RVP11 wrote:
I've seen this a ton this year. Lots of pictures at the airport, pictures at the hotel, pictures of 2Ls who just happen to be in NYC on a Tuesday in late August (I wonder how?!). It's one thing to talk about callbacks in person, because you are able to gauge the person's own level of success and tailor the conversation accordingly. But posting on Facebook - especially regarding the excessive luxuries of callbacks like nice hotels, free trips to big cities, etc. - is like rubbing it in the face of everyone you know.

I never saw this from the classes of 2012 or 2013, and I never expected the class of 2014 to be so tactless. If even one person in my law school class had posted on Facebook a status similar to what I've seen from many class of 2014 people, they would have been mocked.
This is making me realize how few UVA Law ppl I'm friends with on FB. I haven't seen this from anyone, in fact, it's been quite the opposite, with me asking my friends how it's going/where they're heading for CBs etc. At least with the people I'm fairly close with here, everyone has been as tight-lipped as they were about grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:00 pm

pjo wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

This is making me realize how few UVA Law ppl I'm friends with on FB. I haven't seen this from anyone, in fact, it's been quite the opposite, with me asking my friends how it's going/where they're heading for CBs etc. At least with the people I'm fairly close with here, everyone has been as tight-lipped as they were about grades.
Or maybe we're just friends with better people? I also haven't seen too much of this on FB. I agree with some of the above, especially showing off nice dinners/hotels is rude, but I see almost nothing at all wrong with pictures of friends together in NYC or DC or wherever. As someone mentioned above, FB is for so many different groups, and I know personally I took a photo in NYC with a friend from college, which led to other friends asking if I was in NYC and us grabbing drinks. Obviously NEVER intend to make people feel bad/rub callbacks in someones face, but honestly taking a couple pictures is pretty harmless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Or maybe we're just friends with better people? I also haven't seen too much of this on FB. I agree with some of the above, especially showing off nice dinners/hotels is rude, but I see almost nothing at all wrong with pictures of friends together in NYC or DC or wherever. As someone mentioned above, FB is for so many different groups, and I know personally I took a photo in NYC with a friend from college, which led to other friends asking if I was in NYC and us grabbing drinks. Obviously NEVER intend to make people feel bad/rub callbacks in someones face, but honestly taking a couple pictures is pretty harmless.
I have a friend who posted pictures of central park taken from her 1L SA skyscraper firm. Kinda cool, really.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 pm

That is so balla. To me that's much better than going to every bar review, and just shooting the shit. I also don't know how random grades are. Half the class is at very mixer, half is always in the library.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Or maybe we're just friends with better people? I also haven't seen too much of this on FB. I agree with some of the above, especially showing off nice dinners/hotels is rude, but I see almost nothing at all wrong with pictures of friends together in NYC or DC or wherever. As someone mentioned above, FB is for so many different groups, and I know personally I took a photo in NYC with a friend from college, which led to other friends asking if I was in NYC and us grabbing drinks. Obviously NEVER intend to make people feel bad/rub callbacks in someones face, but honestly taking a couple pictures is pretty harmless.
I'm friends on facebook with most of my section. Either they're better with their filters, have simply not been doing this or no one in my section got any callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13 pm

any word on venable? i have a cb coming up with them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:27 am

Mind sharing which Venable office you have the CB with?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:47 am

What is the best thing to say when one firm asks how you felt about the other firms you visited? I told an associate from a firm which has a strong emphasis on maintaining some heart and soul that another firm felt a little cold and stand-offish to me. It wasn't my intent to bad-mouth the other firm but did that come off as unprofessional?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:49 am

I think a better answer is that situation is to say that the other firm is "formal" and that it's good for some people, but may not be a good fit for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:36 pm

Those questions are almost as ridiculous to me as behavioral questions. Designed to trip you up with wrong answers either way. Don't get me wrong, above anon's response is a good, professional one. But the notion that in this economy, people would be wasting time on callbacks for firms they aren't serious about accepting an offer with is silly. Ditto for "which other firms are you interviewing with?" If I've gotten this far, it means the person you trusted to come to OGI thought I was capable and willing. If we're talking about the impressions firms make upon us, a little presumption on their part of our "good faith" goes a long way, at least for me. (Though I understand this being more fuzzy in secondary markets where someone doesn't have ties.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Do 3Ls have any general advice in response to the timeline of offers? I tried searching for a consolidated thread like last year's "Offers and Dings LLP" and had no luck. So if your cb was on a Monday and you've run across other users who also had a cb on Monday and have received offers already and you've heard nothing, does that mean you're SOL?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”