2012 UVA OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:27 pm

White and case Ding!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:White and case Ding!
Me too. One from Crowell & Moring today as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the Crowell ding. Was the office DC and when did it come? Interviewers initials?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At what point should one start thinking about declining callbacks? Should I just schedule them much later in the process and then just cancel in the event that I get an offer for which I'm comfortable accepting? I know I'm very fortunate to be in a situation to have to think about this, but I'm just curious what others' thoughts are.
I am so jealous of your predicament.
WHy can't there be a system in place where this doesn't happen? Jesus fucking Christ, just because I got a B in Contracts and someone else got an A-, both entirely subjectively based on some ancient professor's bullshit musings, they get way more callbacks than me and then have to worry about turning them down?? I want those callbacks. I would not decline any. Jesus I hate law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At what point should one start thinking about declining callbacks? Should I just schedule them much later in the process and then just cancel in the event that I get an offer for which I'm comfortable accepting? I know I'm very fortunate to be in a situation to have to think about this, but I'm just curious what others' thoughts are.
I am so jealous of your predicament.
WHy can't there be a system in place where this doesn't happen? Jesus fucking Christ, just because I got a B in Contracts and someone else got an A-, both entirely subjectively based on some ancient professor's bullshit musings, they get way more callbacks than me and then have to worry about turning them down?? I want those callbacks. I would not decline any. Jesus I hate law school.
Every year there are some people with 3.0s getting BigLaw, some people with 3.3s getting 10+ callbacks, and some people with 3.5s getting 20+ callbacks. Can't blame only your grades, bro.

This isn't to say there is no unfairness in the hiring process. I'm just saying that no one can point the finger at ONLY their grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 am

So this was not through OGI but I did a screener in my home market about 2 weeks and 2 days ago and they told me I would hear in the next couple weeks (as in right now) once they got the rest of their interviews under way and could figure out who they wanted to call back. She told me to contact her by the 27th if I hadn't heard. What I want to do is send her an email just reiterating my interest in the firm and saying as much - "Greetings X, I hope you are well, I enjoyed meeting with you, I just want to reiterate my interest in Firm X, etc.". I feel like since my screener was so long ago and I'm out in VA I might get forgotten. Is this legit to do?

ETA: for the people that say it's a death knell that I haven't heard yet, this firm notoriously takes a longer time to call people back

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:47 am

Great and mighty 3Ls:

Can y'all offer any information as to how to beast callback interviews? Please nothing along the lines of "Just be yourself and be relaxed." What kinds of questions did interviewers ask? How did you approach a callback differently from a screener, especially when the names of the interviewers won't be available?

StanleyF

New

Post by StanleyF » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Great and mighty 3Ls:

Can y'all offer any information as to how to beast callback interviews? Please nothing along the lines of "Just be yourself and be relaxed." What kinds of questions did interviewers ask? How did you approach a callback differently from a screener, especially when the names of the interviewers won't be available?
Almost all firms will email you a list of the people you are meeting with a day or two before the callback. When that happens, just go on the firm's website, look up the lawyers and see where they went to school, what kind of cases they work on, etc. I actually made notes on each person and brought them to the callback so I could refresh my memory before sitting down with them. For the one firm that didn't give me a list of interviewers, I spent a lot of time poking around the website and internets to find out as much as I could about the work they did.

In my experience, the callbacks are a lot like longer screeners. Some attorneys want you to ask more questions, so be prepared for that. I found the best approach was to ask questions I really wanted answers to -- I wanted a sense of what the work is like, what kind of work I might get to do as a junior associate. I asked people lots of questions about the work they do. I never asked a question about what the summer associate program was like because I really didn't care.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:23 am

Is it totally unacceptable to cancel a callback a day in advance? I don't want to be disrespectful, but I don't want to waste peoples' time either.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it totally unacceptable to cancel a callback a day in advance? I don't want to be disrespectful, but I don't want to waste peoples' time either.
I don't know, but sometimes there are rules where they charge you for the hotel room if you don't cancel 24/48 hours in advance.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it totally unacceptable to cancel a callback a day in advance? I don't want to be disrespectful, but I don't want to waste peoples' time either.
It's not totally unacceptable. You're saving them over $1000 in attorney time alone. I canceled the morning of a callback and my punishment was getting a little lip from the recruiting lady.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Because of the way I scheduled my callbacks, I'll be missing a good chunk of the first two week of classes. Should I email my professors giving a heads-up? Also where on Lawweb does it say which classes require first-day attendance to ensure enrollment?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Because of the way I scheduled my callbacks, I'll be missing a good chunk of the first two week of classes. Should I email my professors giving a heads-up? Also where on Lawweb does it say which classes require first-day attendance to ensure enrollment?
There are classes like this? Umm....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:35 pm

In a similar situation -- I e-mailed just to gauge responses, and indeed they were mixed (although mostly understanding). So maybe a good idea just to see, although either way I'm putting job stuff first.

The first day attendance requirement I think is under "Current Courses," and then you click the descriptions of your courses, and it should say there.

StanleyF

New

Post by StanleyF » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In a similar situation -- I e-mailed just to gauge responses, and indeed they were mixed (although mostly understanding). So maybe a good idea just to see, although either way I'm putting job stuff first.

The first day attendance requirement I think is under "Current Courses," and then you click the descriptions of your courses, and it should say there.
Putting "job stuff" first is definitely the way to go. I actually dropped a class last fall when the professor said he wouldn't record classes that students missed due to callbacks. I missed a big chunk of the first month of school, but was able to catch up by doing the reading and listening to recorded classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:28 pm

StanleyF wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In a similar situation -- I e-mailed just to gauge responses, and indeed they were mixed (although mostly understanding). So maybe a good idea just to see, although either way I'm putting job stuff first.

Putting "job stuff" first is definitely the way to go. I actually dropped a class last fall when the professor said he wouldn't record classes that students missed due to callbacks. I missed a big chunk of the first month of school, but was able to catch up by doing the reading and listening to recorded classes.
I kind of think professors should be required to record all fall 2L/3L courses. I can think of a few excuses they might provide for why they shouldn't be required to do so. None of them are very persuasive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
StanleyF wrote:

I kind of think professors should be required to record all fall 2L/3L courses. I can think of a few excuses they might provide for why they shouldn't be required to do so. None of them are very persuasive.
+1. At least for the first few weeks. I can understand they don't want students to rely on recordings to the point they just refuse to show up to the actual class but c'mon on. I'm trying to get a job here.

I've been emailing all my professors and some of them are a little ... passive-aggressive. One even implied, in a total round-about way, that I drop the class entirely if I would be missing the first two days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Should I be emailing my professors? I haven't been doing this- I'm taking 4 big lecture classes and I figured it's unlikely they'll notice I'm not there the first two weeks.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should I be emailing my professors? I haven't been doing this- I'm taking 4 big lecture classes and I figured it's unlikely they'll notice I'm not there the first two weeks.
If they cold call from a class list then there's always the chance you'll be called upon while absent. Not that it's the end of the world if attendance wasn't compulsory, it just has the potential to be a little embarrassing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Has anyone else been asked the same exact questions in a CB as you were asked in the screener? I'm wondering if the interviewer has a copy of your answers from the screener and wants to see if you can come up with something different.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else been asked the same exact questions in a CB as you were asked in the screener? I'm wondering if the interviewer has a copy of your answers from the screener and wants to see if you can come up with something different.
How could an interviewer at a screener possibly write down all or even most of your answer to any question?

Certainly at mine they were busily engaged in conversation, only scribbling occasional notes. Any answer they noted would only be partial.

That besides, being asked the same question in a different situation is likely to elicit a different response. Let's say at the screener the first question is what attracted you to the firm and you go on about it's fantastic litigation department. Now, two weeks later, you're at a callback and while walking the corridor you chat to the partner about the litigation department. Then in his office he asks you what attracted you to the firm. You'll probably touch very quickly on litigation and move on to other things because you've already discussed the litigation practice. Or, perhaps in your research about the firm you learned of something interesting done by that partner or his section of the firm. You might talk about that because he's in front of you.

I can't see how anything relevant could come from such a strategy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:34 pm

albanach wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else been asked the same exact questions in a CB as you were asked in the screener? I'm wondering if the interviewer has a copy of your answers from the screener and wants to see if you can come up with something different.
How could an interviewer at a screener possibly write down all or even most of your answer to any question?

Certainly at mine they were busily engaged in conversation, only scribbling occasional notes. Any answer they noted would only be partial.

That besides, being asked the same question in a different situation is likely to elicit a different response. Let's say at the screener the first question is what attracted you to the firm and you go on about it's fantastic litigation department. Now, two weeks later, you're at a callback and while walking the corridor you chat to the partner about the litigation department. Then in his office he asks you what attracted you to the firm. You'll probably touch very quickly on litigation and move on to other things because you've already discussed the litigation practice. Or, perhaps in your research about the firm you learned of something interesting done by that partner or his section of the firm. You might talk about that because he's in front of you.

I was referring more to questions where an answer wouldn't evolve over researching a firm - like what was the most interesting thing you did this summer, what was your favorite class in law school, etc. But yeah, I guess I am being a tad paranoid.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
albanach wrote:

I was referring more to questions where an answer wouldn't evolve over researching a firm - like what was the most interesting thing you did this summer, what was your favorite class in law school, etc. But yeah, I guess I am being a tad paranoid.
More than a tad, imo. I mean, there's only so many questions to ask, it'd be far more surprising if you didn't have any repeat questions after a screener + the four longer interviews of the CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Considering cancelling/declining callbacks with Akin Gump, Pillsbury, Cadwalader, Orick, and Wilkie (all NY)... Is this stupid for someone that's interested in litigation? I already have an offer from a firm that I would be comfortable accepting, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot or anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”