2012 UVA OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mid 3.5, LR, all NY:

18 interviews this week
1 callback.

But no email dings/no snail mail dings, so that's something. One trouble that I have with interviews is running out of things to say. The interviewer and I will be chatting about something, and then the conversation just dies and he/she asks me something else. I don't think I'm naturally chatty.
Ask about what the interviewer has been working on recently? If the interviewer is a UVA grad (often the case) ask if much seems to have changed significantly since they were here? If not from UVA ask if they get to do OCI at their alma mater and if it differs much from UVA? You can also ask a UVA grad about how other schools differ or whether the collegiate nature of UVA serves grads well.

Any of those should buy you a minute while they respond and hopefully get the conversation back onto comfortable ground.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mid 3.5, LR, all NY:

18 interviews this week
1 callback.

But no email dings/no snail mail dings, so that's something. One trouble that I have with interviews is running out of things to say. The interviewer and I will be chatting about something, and then the conversation just dies and he/she asks me something else. I don't think I'm naturally chatty.
Try to steer the conversation towards something you can discuss at length. For instance, if you're a college football fan and your interviewer went to a D1 school that you're familiar with, you might be able to spend 10 minutes talking about football, which is basically impossible to screw up. I think that's one of the benefits to putting an "interests" section on your resume (too late now); your interviewer may comment "oh, I see you like fencing," and you can take things from there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:33 am

I also feel completely fucked right now. 12 screeners so far and 1 CB. Had a screener in my secondary home market - thought it would be a slam dunk but they sent a chick in from a completely different market to do all the interviews, and I of course haven't heard from her. I know she just wants to recruit for her own market and does not give one fuck past that and so my #1 choice firm accordingly goes out the window. I spend every waking minute staring at my phone or drunk or both, not knowing whether to laugh or cry at this godawful process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I also feel completely fucked right now. 12 screeners so far and 1 CB. Had a screener in my secondary home market - thought it would be a slam dunk but they sent a chick in from a completely different market to do all the interviews, and I of course haven't heard from her. I know she just wants to recruit for her own market and does not give one fuck past that and so my #1 choice firm accordingly goes out the window. I spend every waking minute staring at my phone or drunk or both, not knowing whether to laugh or cry at this godawful process.

+ 1 man, grade range 3.3-3.4, 11 screeners so far, 9 of which were in NY, so far have 2 email dings and 0 CB. Feel like complete shit. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or just that most of the CB are going out to 3.5+....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also feel completely fucked right now. 12 screeners so far and 1 CB. Had a screener in my secondary home market - thought it would be a slam dunk but they sent a chick in from a completely different market to do all the interviews, and I of course haven't heard from her. I know she just wants to recruit for her own market and does not give one fuck past that and so my #1 choice firm accordingly goes out the window. I spend every waking minute staring at my phone or drunk or both, not knowing whether to laugh or cry at this godawful process.

+ 1 man, grade range 3.3-3.4, 11 screeners so far, 9 of which were in NY, so far have 2 email dings and 0 CB. Feel like complete shit. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or just that most of the CB are going out to 3.5+....
+1 worst

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:41 am

it seems like everyone below 3.5 is getting massacred in NYC. did this happen last year? do callbacks trickle down or come in a significant second wave in that market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:43 am

Do firms expect you to drive to Philly from C'ville for a callback? I don't really have a way to get there by car... Is it appropriate to be up front and ask the recruiter about traveling via plane or train in my initial e-mail to him/her?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:44 am

Its a bloodbath, god I wish I was from Cleveland

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1 worst
+1. Came into this week feeling confident based on the # of preselects that I had gotten but that apparently doesn't count for shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1 worst
+1. Came into this week feeling confident based on the # of preselects that I had gotten but that apparently doesn't count for shit.
It's weird that things seem to be falling apart at the screening stage this year, given that the conventional wisdom was that you could be confident about converting preselects. Is there anyone who's not an LR grade-on or a high 3.6 who cares to share a strong conversion rate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:12 am

Top 1/3 grades no LR with 3 scheduled callbacks so far, IP focus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms expect you to drive to Philly from C'ville for a callback? I don't really have a way to get there by car... Is it appropriate to be up front and ask the recruiter about traveling via plane or train in my initial e-mail to him/her?
No. I just scheduled a Philly callback and they put me on a direct flight from Cville.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
It's weird that things seem to be falling apart at the screening stage this year, given that the conventional wisdom was that you could be confident about converting preselects. Is there anyone who's not an LR grade-on or a high 3.6 who cares to share a strong conversion rate?
I am the 12 screener/1 CB. Median grades, 5 preselects so far (out of 9) and 1 CB from a preselect. I guess 2 of those PS's were yesterday though so I am only mildly freaking out. If I have silence into next week IDK what I'm going to do. Already mass mailed my home market in July and have 2 callbacks from that thus far, but it is absolutely insane how much effort I have put in networking in my home market all summer, bidding strategies, prepping for OGI, etc. not to mention working my ass off last year and doing the best I possibly could which ended up being slightly above median and I am praying, PRAYING, for one offer. I absolutely hate law school

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Its a bloodbath, god I wish I was from Cleveland
Not sure why, this year's class seems to be full of folk with Ohio connections. There's a lot of competition for a very small number of summer associate spots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote: I am the 12 screener/1 CB. Median grades, 5 preselects so far (out of 9) and 1 CB from a preselect. I guess 2 of those PS's were yesterday though so I am only mildly freaking out. If I have silence into next week IDK what I'm going to do. Already mass mailed my home market in July and have 2 callbacks from that thus far, but it is absolutely insane how much effort I have put in networking in my home market all summer, bidding strategies, prepping for OGI, etc. not to mention working my ass off last year and doing the best I possibly could which ended up being slightly above median and I am praying, PRAYING, for one offer. I absolutely hate law school
Where are you targeting? Smaller firms aren't going to be deciding as quickly as the big New York ones. Like others have said, if you don't have dings, you're still in the game.

Try and relax. You don't want the tension to come through in interviews especially if they're trying to pick candidates based upon fit.

You have decent grades at a school that places almost every graduate into employment. Of course it would be nice to have a job before September and to relax for the next two years, but I don't think it's an essential step on the road to your career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Not sure why, this year's class seems to be full of folk with Ohio connections. There's a lot of competition for a very small number of summer associate spots.
just naming random city, wish i had strong connections to a secondary market

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:37 am

can someone direct me to the topic where ppl are discussing which firms have given callbacks? I know this was created as a separate page.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:can someone direct me to the topic where ppl are discussing which firms have given callbacks? I know this was created as a separate page.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=191472

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:can someone direct me to the topic where ppl are discussing which firms have given callbacks? I know this was created as a separate page.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=191472
Link is also in the OP of this thread, fyi

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
just naming random city, wish i had strong connections to a secondary market
It might be too late since you've made your bids, but look at extended family and where they live. All you need is to say you want to be in XyZ because you have family there. Do some research so you can talk a little about the city. Make sure you know the name of the suburbs your family live in etc.

The mid-market firms I have interviewed at seem to have less tight interviewing schedules than the larger firms. If you can come up with links to some firms in other markets you could always special request them.
Last edited by albanach on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

So if you have some CBs, is now the time to reach out to alums at the firm and ask for advice? If so, what do you ask? Meet beforehand? Or is this more of a 1L summer thing, and too late now? Is this even a good idea, since presumably a lot of your classmates with CBs will be doing this also? If it's a relatively smaller firm, does this just open the door to being seen as too much of a gunner?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Is conventional wisdom true about not scheduling CBs on Mondays and Fridays?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:42 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Is conventional wisdom true about not scheduling CBs on Mondays and Fridays?
I've never heard that before, I don't think it's CW. There's nothing wrong with any day of the week.
Anonymous User wrote:So if you have some CBs, is now the time to reach out to alums at the firm and ask for advice? If so, what do you ask? Meet beforehand? Or is this more of a 1L summer thing, and too late now? Is this even a good idea, since presumably a lot of your classmates with CBs will be doing this also? If it's a relatively smaller firm, does this just open the door to being seen as too much of a gunner?
If you really want to you can, but I don't think there's much to be gained. Odds are the firm will try to pair you with at least some alums for interviews anyway, and while you might find somebody willing to talk to you they won't have any particular loyalty to you over other students.

I guess it could be effective, but I don't think it's a high expected value or common strategy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:45 pm

At what point should one start thinking about declining callbacks? Should I just schedule them much later in the process and then just cancel in the event that I get an offer for which I'm comfortable accepting? I know I'm very fortunate to be in a situation to have to think about this, but I'm just curious what others' thoughts are.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At what point should one start thinking about declining callbacks? Should I just schedule them much later in the process and then just cancel in the event that I get an offer for which I'm comfortable accepting? I know I'm very fortunate to be in a situation to have to think about this, but I'm just curious what others' thoughts are.
Schedule them all. Schedule ones you know you're less interested in later (but not like October or anything drastic) and cancel as soon as you have an offer that you are certain you would prefer. It's not a problem to cancel, even if hote land air fare are already booked. But until you have an offer, schedule and attend every CB you receive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”