3LOLCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3LOLCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:13 pm

3L, no SA, T3/6/10/not Hogwarts. Wondering where to bid and what to do with my life. Discuss, O people of the internet. Mud wrestling?

zomginternets

Re: 3LOLCI

Postby zomginternets » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L, no SA, T3/6/10/not Hogwarts. Wondering where to bid and what to do with my life. Discuss, O people of the internet. Mud wrestling?

Shoe shining.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/cooley-law-grad-or-troll-is-there-even-a-difference-co-93-grad-claims-hes-employed-as-a-shoe-shine-boy/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:40 pm

This is a serious thread. I am serious. Take this seriously.

Ok so: if I decide shoe shining isn't for me, is there a path to success for 3Ls from top schools who missed out the first time around? No offense to SAs: it's just hard to believe 10 weeks of being wined and dined should be the crucial determinant of success. What do I do so that I'm not unemployed a year from now? Oh and if I hear networking one more time I might break something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 pm

That was really helpful. Thanks guys.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is a serious thread. I am serious. Take this seriously.

Ok so: if I decide shoe shining isn't for me, is there a path to success for 3Ls from top schools who missed out the first time around? No offense to SAs: it's just hard to believe 10 weeks of being wined and dined should be the crucial determinant of success. What do I do so that I'm not unemployed a year from now? Oh and if I hear networking one more time I might break something.

Biglaw is extremely unlikely, as most firms are looking for SAs who want to trade up. "Path to success" sure, but you are going to have to do something other than biglaw for awhile. It's really a crapshoot. Apply broadly 1) through 3L OCI and mass mail to big and midlaw firms, 2) clerkships (D.Ct, Magistrate, state supreme), 3) government honors, 4) MBB consulting firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:19 am

What's the deal with consulting firms and JDs anyway? Do they actually want JDs as opposed to MBAs or whatever? It seems like they would view JDs skeptically—wouldn't most law students be applying as a last resort after failing to get biglaw?

Basically, can anyone who has been through that route speak to it?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the deal with consulting firms and JDs anyway? Do they actually want JDs as opposed to MBAs or whatever? It seems like they would view JDs skeptically—wouldn't most law students be applying as a last resort after failing to get biglaw?

Basically, can anyone who has been through that route speak to it?

Having been on consulting interviews as a JD it seemed like the firms valued having diverse (if elite) backgrounds- there were many MBAs but a fair smattering of MDs, Ph.Ds, and JDs, including JDs with multiple years of biglaw experience. It could be said for any of those three degrees that they are using consulting as a last resort. Although the firms are huge prestige whores (you need at least a T10 JD to get an interview), it is different than biglaw hiring because once you are in the door for a screener you are judged on your interview performance and not your school/grades.

The reason they can afford to not be butthurt if they think someone is using them as a last resort (unlike some biglaw firms) is because the interview process is extremely difficult. I know a CCN student, now a COA clerk with offers from multiple top firms, who failed to get through and he's an extremely articulate and personable guy. I was dinged at the second round. Anyone who survives to the offer stage will have more than demonstrated their abilities, and vastly more than your grades on six/seven four-hour issue spotters can demonstrate your ability to do junior associate tasks.

Return to “Legal Employment”