NYU 3.45 going for NYC and Bay Area

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU 3.45 going for NYC and Bay Area

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Interested in M&A. 1.5 years non-MBB consulting (Deloitte, Oliver Wyman, etc.) in Bay Area office. 6'3", avid Crossfitter, good self-assessed interview skills (slayyyyeddd case interview in UG). No IP background. List is draft and isn't in order, but do any firms jump out as ones I should add or take off--due to not having a real shot b/c of grades? tyia. TLS has been a great resource for me and I plan on making a post on what I learned during 1L after EIW to give back to the community.

NYC
Latham
Skadden
Weil
Kirkland
DPW
Sidley
Clifford
Cravath
Cleary
Deb
A&O
Clifford Chance
WilmerHale
Jones Day
White & Case
S&C
STB
SRZ
MOFO
Paul Weiss
Linklaters

SF
Mofo
Orrick
Pillsbury

SV
Wilson Sonsini
Latham
DPW
Cooley
Fenwick

boosk

Re: NYU 3.45 going for NYC and Bay Area

Postby boosk » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:42 pm

sorry man, I don't see any of these happening for someone under 6'4"...

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Ties to SF? Probably take off S&C & Cravath, but you can dream if you want.

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Ties are that I worked in SV after UG for 1.5 years. And I love the Niners. But yeah, I assumed CSM and S&C were long shot's so I think I'll bid them lower and hope to snag one but not bank of it...

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Whoops missed that WE was in Bay area. Without IP background and actual connections beyond the work (e.g. fiance lives there, grew up there etc.) you may have a tough go at SF but you have a good spread of firms you're applying to there. You'll land something somewhere though, start doing research to try to figure out what your top choices are so you can prepare for those interviews accordingly.

DODGERS3271

Postby DODGERS3271 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in M&A. 1.5 years non-MBB consulting (Deloitte, Oliver Wyman, etc.) in Bay Area office. 6'3", avid Crossfitter, good self-assessed interview skills (slayyyyeddd case interview in UG). No IP background. List is draft and isn't in order, but do any firms jump out as ones I should add or take off--due to not having a real shot b/c of grades? tyia. TLS has been a great resource for me and I plan on making a post on what I learned during 1L after EIW to give back to the community.

NYC
Latham
Skadden
Weil
Kirkland
DPW
Sidley
Clifford
Cravath
Cleary
Deb
A&O
Clifford Chance
WilmerHale
Jones Day
White & Case
S&C
STB
SRZ
MOFO
Paul Weiss
Linklaters

SF
Mofo
Orrick
Pillsbury

SV
Wilson Sonsini
Latham
DPW
Cooley
Fenwick

I would bid WAY more conservatively. Where are your backups? These are all reach or 50/50 firms for you to put it in school terms for you, but the problem is 50/50 in this legal environment is not actually 50/50--you're going to have to interview well too. And everyone thinks they interview well.

You can only feel decently about Jones Day, Linklaters, Clifford Chance, SRZ and White & Case. You are only picking the cream of the crop. Yeah, all but Cravath, S&C, Skadden and STB COULD happen. But firms like Paul Weiss, Deb, Cleary, Latham, Weil and Kirkland are all very, very competitive and very, very from from a slam dunk, let alone being "likely." And what if the economy stays where it is? Or what if if gets worse in the next 3 months (remember they'll just be calling you back in August, but deciding in September). If I were you I would be worried about getting 3 callbacks and getting 1 offer. I would seriously consider putting a few "backup" firms onto the list and taking Cravath, S&C, Skadden and STB off the list. Your "if everything goes well and they hire a big class and I do very well in the interview" list should be the Paul Weiss, Deb, Cleary, Latham, Weil and Kirkland group. This is not 2007 where your bid list would have looked a lot more reasonable. One off day interviewing and with this list you're in major trouble.

Sorry for the reality check, but it's better to have it now than when you possibly get 3 callbacks and then you feel immense pressure during the callbacks knowing that you have to do very well in those 3.

ruski

Postby ruski » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 pm

^ i think you are being slightly pessimistic. while he might not get offers from all of Paul Weiss, Deb, Cleary, Latham, Weil and Kirkland, i would expect him to at least get 2-3 offers out of that group, possibly more if he is as good as he says he is.

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for the perspective. I don't mean to come across as cocky at all. I have no idea how the interviews will go. But I do think I can make a good pitch for how my consulting experience makes me well suited for M&A (long unpredictable hours, high level of sustained attention to detail, multi-tasking etc) and obviously I'll research and prep for each interview a ton. I knew S&C and CSM are long shots, but I assumed Skadden was more of a target than a reach. No? In any event, I'll make sure to mass mail and hit up all hospitality suites early and try and snag a few more screeners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm at NYU, had a similar GPA and am currently summering at a V5 firm. Provided that you are a relatively pleasant/normal human being, I think your list is fine.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Looks like a solid list to me as long as you tone down the crossfit bullshit IRL. Contrary to popular TLS opinion, employers like confident but they don't like cocky.

Return to “Legal Employment”