Sub 3.0 at T20. Options?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sub 3.0 at T20. Options?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Not interested in biglaw, but with my GPA that's not an option anyway. I think median at my school is around a 3.2 or 3.3. I have a sub 3.0.

Anyone have any hiring experience w/ this sort of GPA? I'm ready to start planning for jobs next summer, but I want to have a realistic idea of what my options will be before I start throwing my shitty resume at every firm I can google. Do I have a shot at landing a job, or should I just drop out now and save $100k? Btw, my career services center is horrible, so I have a better shot at getting a straight answer from the internets.

I'm hoping to land a job at a small or midsize firm, maybe public interest, but I'm open to other ideas. Looking at west coast jobs. I'm URM, but I don't know if that matters to employers.

Anonymous User

Re: Sub 3.0 at T20. Options?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I know 4 people working in gov jobs after graduation, by gov I'm including ADA, clerkship, PD. They all had sub 3.0. One may have had a 3.0 or 3.1, maybe.
But they didn't want firm jobs either. They used 2L year to boost their GPA. Not that you can count on getting better grades just because you're 2L but classes are different and you have a lot more options when it comes to the types of exams you'll take.
Gov jobs won't even look to hire you until your third year anyway so a higher GPA by 3L will matter a lot more than a less than stellar GPA in 1L. A lot of gov employers were also in your position. They didn't do well 1L and worked it out and got a job. They understand that good lawyers sometimes under perform in law school especially 1L.

If you really want to work in gov you need to start getting experience in that area. Network with judges, gov attorneys, attend events, join the bar association in your state or city.

Return to “Legal Employment”