Starting to worry a bit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Starting to worry a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:25 pm

I know this has been discussed before and that it is anything but a novel topic, but its been on my mind nonetheless. Im just getting in my spring 2L grades and its pretty much all B's and one B+. I did great 1L year, transferred up to a T10 school, got a great SA, but my grades at the new school just haven't been that good. No C's or anything like that (and just one B- in my worst class). But I thought it would start clicking in spring semester. Yet somehow its almost straight B's with one B+ thrown in. And its making me worry a bit about getting an offer. I know transfers get some leeway for grade drops (since grades from different levels of schools are apples and oranges), but I was hoping/expecting to at least have one A level grade in there, yet it hasn't happened.

My SA is going well, getting very solid reviews on my work, making good conneections at the firm, and totally meshing with the firm culture and personality. This office claims 100% offer rates for the past 3 or 4 years, and given how well things seem to be going, I want to think that there is no reason to worry. Yet I can't shake the feeling that going from A's and A-'s to pretty much straight Bs is going to sink me.

Anonymous User

Re: Starting to worry a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this has been discussed before and that it is anything but a novel topic, but its been on my mind nonetheless. Im just getting in my spring 2L grades and its pretty much all B's and one B+. I did great 1L year, transferred up to a T10 school, got a great SA, but my grades at the new school just haven't been that good. No C's or anything like that (and just one B- in my worst class). But I thought it would start clicking in spring semester. Yet somehow its almost straight B's with one B+ thrown in. And its making me worry a bit about getting an offer. I know transfers get some leeway for grade drops (since grades from different levels of schools are apples and oranges), but I was hoping/expecting to at least have one A level grade in there, yet it hasn't happened.

My SA is going well, getting very solid reviews on my work, making good conneections at the firm, and totally meshing with the firm culture and personality. This office claims 100% offer rates for the past 3 or 4 years, and given how well things seem to be going, I want to think that there is no reason to worry. Yet I can't shake the feeling that going from A's and A-'s to pretty much straight Bs is going to sink me.

Don't burn the office down or sleep with your partner's wife and you'll get hired. Relax

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this has been discussed before and that it is anything but a novel topic, but its been on my mind nonetheless. Im just getting in my spring 2L grades and its pretty much all B's and one B+. I did great 1L year, transferred up to a T10 school, got a great SA, but my grades at the new school just haven't been that good. No C's or anything like that (and just one B- in my worst class). But I thought it would start clicking in spring semester. Yet somehow its almost straight B's with one B+ thrown in. And its making me worry a bit about getting an offer. I know transfers get some leeway for grade drops (since grades from different levels of schools are apples and oranges), but I was hoping/expecting to at least have one A level grade in there, yet it hasn't happened.

I think there are many in the same boat. Doing well as a SA and then [opps] faced with having to explain a sudden drop in grades. The “doing well” might/should be enough to get you an offer.

What was different about your new LS versus the old one? The couple of upgraded LS transfers I met said the students were smarter. Same experience for you, or something else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 pm

I was a top student at a t20, like top 5-10%. transferred to CCN. got multiple offers during OCI. proceeded to spend 2L going out, drinking, playing video games, and generally not giving a shit about my classes. I missed lots of school, did virtually no reading, etc. like you, I got basically all B's, B+'s, and one A-. went to an SA firm that also had a 100% offer rate. worked hard, was social, attended events, made friends with other SAs and lawyers at my firm, and got an offer (like everyone else). 3L year, my grades were even worse, due to more partying and caring even less about my school work. firm did not even ask for transcripts, and I'm starting this fall.

bottom line: its ridiculous, but if you're doing an SA at a firm that gives 100% offer rates, nothing after 1L really matters at all. it makes no sense, but thats the way legal hiring has evolved. my transcript looks kind of funny - A's and a few A+s my 1L year, and then not a single legitimate A in 2L or 3L, lol. top 5% to bottom third. I should note that I had no terrible grades (nothing below a B) but I really don't think firms care at all once they've hired you through OCI and invested the 50-70k it costs them per SA. don't worry man, you've won the biglaw lotto.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:21 pm

OP here. First semester, I hada bit of trouble settling into the new school and getting my bearings, and my interview process went a lot later than most people (went into mid October and I did something like 20+ callbacks). So I was often missing class and getting behind. Add in the stronger competition and the poor grades fall semester weren't a surprise (a mix of B's, a B+, and a B- in the one class I hated).

I really thought spring would be better. Went to every class, did all the reading, etc but just didn't wrap my head around the fact pattern come exam day as well as I would have liked. Here, there is much less room for error when it comes to incomplete understanding of the factual situation. Lowest grade is B (which I have multiple of), but I assumed that actually going to class and trying would make some level of difference in exam performance. I certainly hope that the only real important factors ends up being my experience over this summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”