Cross-Country Interviewing and Prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cross-Country Interviewing and Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:01 am

I'd be curious to hear what people's thoughts are on cross-country interviewing. I live in Boston but want to interview for SA positions in NorCal where I'm from. There are only a handful of SF/Silicon Valley firms recruiting at my campus. How difficult was everyone's fall semester because of interviewing?

I'd also be curious what you would think my chances are. I'm top 10% at BU/BC. Still waiting to hear if I'm on Law Review. Do California firms think those are top schools?

maximator

Re: Cross-Country Interviewing and Prospects

Postby maximator » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:34 am

I'm sure your grades will give you a shot.

Here's what you do--send all of the firms you are interested in SF/SV applications in early July and explain when you are going to be in town (ideally you would be in the Bay Area in early August).

If they are interested (and I'm sure some will bite), they will contact you and set up interviews.

If you aren't planning to be in SF/SV in early August, tell them you are going to be anyways. If a firm contacts you about doing an interview, find a way to get out there. Once you have your trip set up, contact the other firms explaining exactly when you are going to be in town, how interested you are in them, blah blah blah.

Also, this is probably obvious, but don't schedule your trip during OCI, you would ideally do this in early August before the firm's recruiting staff is going nuts with OCI at other schools.

Anonymous User

Re: Cross-Country Interviewing and Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 am

Thanks for the feedback. I will be sending out resumes in early July once I know wherher I am on Law Review but I can't make it to SF until mid August because of my internship. I was hoping to do some interviews in mid August and I will be sure to follow up.

Return to “Legal Employment”