Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott? Any information?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vegeta

Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott? Any information?

Postby vegeta » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:35 am

The wikipedia page says it's a "spin-off" of Kirkland and Ellis. What does that mean exactly? It seems like an elite litig boutique. Anyone know anything about it?

ben4847

Re: Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott? Any information?

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 am

Judging from their profiles, it seems pretty elite.

vegeta

Postby vegeta » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:45 am

Just looked at their (very short) associate list. Looks like almost everyone's done a fed. judicial clerkship.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 am

vegeta wrote:Just looked at their (very short) associate list. Looks like almost everyone's done a fed. judicial clerkship.

and been editor in chief of UC law review

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 am

Most prestigious boutique in Chicago. Is really well known for trial litigation. I don't think they have a formal summer associate program (or any summer associate program for that matter). They only hire post clerkship, and rumor has it that it needs to be COA.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:49 am

vegeta wrote:The wikipedia page says it's a "spin-off" of Kirkland and Ellis. What does that mean exactly? It seems like an elite litig boutique. Anyone know anything about it?

One of the most prestigious lit boutiques in the world. Damn near everyone has done Clerkships, many in Federal Appellate Courts. Insanely high grades from a top school are an absolute must to get it straight out of law school. Demanding hours. Despite all this, the people who work there are cool as fuck. Really, really nice people with a great sense of humor. Fred Bartlit is the fucking man, by the way.

attractive_NUisance

Postby attractive_NUisance » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:54 am

Looks like they have some underachieving associates from NU Law instead of UChicago. Although one NU associate clerked for Sotomayor, so I guess that's something.

vegeta

Postby vegeta » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:42 am

There are also the slackers who only did a District Court clerkship. SMH

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:11 am

holy shit. those profiles are fun to read. I like the name partner's "highest academic record ever" honor. Also like the dude who did Stanford UG, HBS and YLS.

attractive_NUisance

Postby attractive_NUisance » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:47 am

I also like how the named partners, Bartlit and Beck, went to lower ranked law schools (Illinois and BU) and clearly would not dream of hiring associates from their alma maters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:52 am

Ill put it this way. On a selectivity/qualifications scale:

Midlaw:DLA as DLA:WSGR as WSGR:Kirkland/NYC V10 as Kirkland/NYC V10:Cravath as Cravath:WLRK as WLRK:Susman/Keker as Susman/Keker:Bartlit.

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:36 am

attractive_NUisance wrote:I also like how the named partners, Bartlit and Beck, went to lower ranked law schools (Illinois and BU) and clearly would not dream of hiring associates from their alma maters.

I saw an interview with Philip Beck (probably the nation's top trial lawyer, went to BU), and he said his real test for hiring was what your judge said about you, and then how you interview. Susman's hiring partner also has an awesome YouTube video where he basically says that he hires attractive people.

It's kinda weird that they couldn't find somebody from BU and/or Illinois. (I mean they have ppl from worse schools.)

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:36 pm

bdubs wrote:Most prestigious boutique in Chicago. Is really well known for trial litigation. I don't think they have a formal summer associate program (or any summer associate program for that matter). They only hire post clerkship, and rumor has it that it needs to be COA.

It's one of the most elite litigation boutiques period, and possibly the most selective. If you look through their associates, they're not just COA clerks but mostly K&E scholars at U Chicago (top 5%).

I'd imagine that amongst the pool of the top 10 people at U Chicago with a good shot at a feeder, the selection process is more about personality than grades. :lol:

Return to “Legal Employment”