did I just bomb the interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

did I just bomb the interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:44 pm

I contacted partner A of a small regional office of a big vault firm. He's interested in my resume and arranged a skype video conference interview with me. at his conference he brought another guy, partner B, with him. I had not seen the biography of B: he is not a residence of this regional office and just happened to be there.

at our interview partner B asked me where I will be early next month and then he said he would like to meet up with me in person when he will be in town.

after the interview I sent a thank-you note to partner A. I had wanted to copy partner B in my email. I could not find his email address via the firm's directory because I did not know his last name. his last name might have been mentioned but everything was so muffled via skype. I hate it!!!

partner A replied immediately and copied partner B in his email. he said I should coordinate with partner B directly about our upcoming meeting. I then sent another thank you email to partner B.

I feel very dumb. Did I just bomb the interview by not being able to find partner B's email and thank him immediately?

Anonymous User

Re: did I just bomb the interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 pm

I wouldn't say you bombed it, but I think you should have mentioned in your thank you to Partner A that you would like to thank Partner B as well but were having trouble locating his contact information.
I do hope that in your thank you to Partner B you quickly apologized for not getting his contact information at the conclusion of the interview. At this point, it's almost too late to apologize. This is the kind of thing you briefly mention/apologize for and move on, rather than dwelling on it and making it a huge deal when it is not.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 pm

no big deal at all

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I contacted partner A of a small regional office of a big vault firm. He's interested in my resume and arranged a skype video conference interview with me. at his conference he brought another guy, partner B, with him. I had not seen the biography of B: he is not a residence of this regional office and just happened to be there.

at our interview partner B asked me where I will be early next month and then he said he would like to meet up with me in person when he will be in town.

after the interview I sent a thank-you note to partner A. I had wanted to copy partner B in my email. I could not find his email address via the firm's directory because I did not know his last name. his last name might have been mentioned but everything was so muffled via skype. I hate it!!!

partner A replied immediately and copied partner B in his email. he said I should coordinate with partner B directly about our upcoming meeting. I then sent another thank you email to partner B.

I feel very dumb. Did I just bomb the interview by not being able to find partner B's email and thank him immediately?

No. You're probably being setup to work closely with partner B. Dating is awkward, but it sounds like he wants you, so just be available and have fun.

Also, your post is a humble brag, but that is ok. Good luck.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't say you bombed it, but I think you should have mentioned in your thank you to Partner A that you would like to thank Partner B as well but were having trouble locating his contact information.
I do hope that in your thank you to Partner B you quickly apologized for not getting his contact information at the conclusion of the interview. At this point, it's almost too late to apologize. This is the kind of thing you briefly mention/apologize for and move on, rather than dwelling on it and making it a huge deal when it is not.

Not sure why this response is Anon. Anyway, I don't think this is good advice.

If Partner A responded immediately, I think this actually helps you. You just didn't have time to email Partner B before his response. It's not obvious that you didn't have Partner B's contact info. Even if it was, it's not a big deal in the least.

Anyway, don't sweat this small stuff in the interview process.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 pm

This is not a big deal. Do not overreact and make it into one--don't apologize or treat the situation as awkward. Just be normal and set up a meeting with partner B.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 pm

I know I should have done better.
I thought I was already very sophisticated these days but I am obviously not so.
I think I sent out the email in a great hurry - I was feeling optimistic because partner B would like to meet up in person.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:22 pm

Great advice I heard previously on this site, and a phrase I love using on my wife - chill yo' nuts!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 pm

op here: I agree that my lack of attentiveness might not be that apparent at all.
however, I did mention my upcoming meeting with partner B to partner A in my quick email to him. so, partner B might feel strange when he got partnerA's and my emails a little later.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:45 pm

You're definitely overthinking this. you didn't mess anything up, stop worrying

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:54 pm

I was really worried and sick in the stomach all day :cry:
the interview was not bad although i was totally not used to skype and i believe I am much better in person. Partner A even talked about what my plan would be and when I would go to his office. I said I would not be ready until late july and that's why partner B offered to meet up.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:05 pm

It's funny because it's almost like you asked for advice and then didn't read a single thing anyone else wrote in response.

Return to “Legal Employment”