OCI chances (uc hastings)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI chances (uc hastings)?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm sorry to add another one of these threads, but you guys are the smartest legal kids i know, so i'd appreciate some opinions.

i go to uc hastings, and im right at the cut off for top 35% (on the good side)

last semester i had a 3.433 (a, B+, b) and this semester i got a .... 3.164 (a, b+, b+, .....c+) as you can see, my dramatic drop is basically all due to one grade. if i had even gotten a b, i would have probably remained around top 25%. i honestly have no clue how i got the grade, but i know obviously i did something completely wrong. im doing all i can to stop the bleeding, and would appreciate some advice.

this leads to a couple questions:

1) does my rank ruin my OCI chances?
2) will the c+ ruin my oci chances, even if my rank doesnt?
3) on the flip side, will some firms who require top 25% and above maybe let me slide bc they can see my rank is due to one grade?
4) can i play the grade off in interviews? all my other grades are good so i can show with evidence that this is a fluke, and that i am capable of much more. i know i screwed up in this class, but it happens, and i wont do it again, etc.

some cool things (hopefully cool) that might distinguish me:

1)I have WE. i worked abroad in both a company and foreign law firm so i have some global perspective and WE thats uncommon.
2) im a minority
3) im assisting a professor at hastings who is doing (apparently) quite important work contributing to a study on the effects non-practicing entities on patent litigation as per the congress patent reform act last year. this study was charged to the General Accounting Office by Congress and my professor is an advisor to the stuy. I'm hoping this could help out with IP firms.
^^ this is in addition to my summer internship

Anonymous User

Re: OCI chances (uc hastings)?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:02 pm

one time bump then i'll give up

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:36 pm

2012 grad here.

Based on what I've figured out retrospectively, for my class it was pretty much exclusively the top 10% for any big law positions. Even then, I know a number of top 15-20% who completely struck out. I was top third and only got 2 interviews (though I think I only applied to 10 or 15 firms, mostly the medium/smaller ones), so take that as you will.

My advice to you is to start networking like nuts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:21 pm

what about mid-size sf firms through mass mailing in early july? any hope there? i also have family connections back in texas, so im going to be targeting all the firms i can there as well. i was also going to mail non oci big law firms in mass mailing, but i wonder if there is any point.

also, do you think i have any hope at the bay area diversity career fair?

general advice/strategies are appreciated.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry to add another one of these threads, but you guys are the smartest legal kids i know, so i'd appreciate some opinions.

i go to uc hastings, and im right at the cut off for top 35% (on the good side)

last semester i had a 3.433 (a, B+, b) and this semester i got a .... 3.164 (a, b+, b+, .....c+) as you can see, my dramatic drop is basically all due to one grade. if i had even gotten a b, i would have probably remained around top 25%. i honestly have no clue how i got the grade, but i know obviously i did something completely wrong. im doing all i can to stop the bleeding, and would appreciate some advice.

this leads to a couple questions:

1) does my rank ruin my OCI chances?
2) will the c+ ruin my oci chances, even if my rank doesnt?
3) on the flip side, will some firms who require top 25% and above maybe let me slide bc they can see my rank is due to one grade?
4) can i play the grade off in interviews? all my other grades are good so i can show with evidence that this is a fluke, and that i am capable of much more. i know i screwed up in this class, but it happens, and i wont do it again, etc.

some cool things (hopefully cool) that might distinguish me:

1)I have WE. i worked abroad in both a company and foreign law firm so i have some global perspective and WE thats uncommon.
2) im a minority
3) im assisting a professor at hastings who is doing (apparently) quite important work contributing to a study on the effects non-practicing entities on patent litigation as per the congress patent reform act last year. this study was charged to the General Accounting Office by Congress and my professor is an advisor to the stuy. I'm hoping this could help out with IP firms.
^^ this is in addition to my summer internship

Hi Patent RA,

I'm in the same boat, albeit with slightly better grades. Do you have a hard science background? If not, it's going to hurt come OCI.
Last edited by DildaMan on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:47 pm

^ Don't out the person.

And I doubt you will get a job from OCI.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 pm

What firms did you bid on at OCI? Several of them had 3.0 cut offs, so I hope you bid on all of those. Otherwise, it will definitely be hard. Did you get on a journal or anything? I'd start mailing firms ASAP in the bay area, and also in your home market.

edited due to typo
Last edited by ilovesf on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Sounds like your fellow Hastings folks have the numbers stuff covered. With regard to your concerns about the low grade:

1. In general, firms will not write it off as a fluke and mentally bump your GPA. Most firms probably won't even look at your transcript, just the GPA line on your resume.
2. I was in a similar position during OCI (one abnormally low grade). Only a couple of people commented on it. One was a name partner, who told me the grade "fucked up an otherwise great transcript." Got a callback anyway. Another was a partner who asked what happened in X class. I explained it as I had prepared to do; partner apologized for prying but said it was good I had an explanation. Got an offer.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:19 pm

hiima3L wrote:2012 grad here.

Based on what I've figured out retrospectively, for my class it was pretty much exclusively the top 10% for any big law positions. Even then, I know a number of top 15-20% who completely struck out. I was top third and only got 2 interviews (though I think I only applied to 10 or 15 firms, mostly the medium/smaller ones), so take that as you will.

Also 2012 grad here, and I second this advice. I was top 25% at OCI and though I had a lot of screeners, I only got one callback at a mid sized firm in the central valley.

Unless you are URM, IP, or something really special, you are unlikely to achieve much at OCI. You need to work outside the box. OCI is time consuming, and I just am not sure if it's worth your time.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
hiima3L wrote:2012 grad here.

Also 2012 grad here, and I second this advice. I was top 25% at OCI and though I had a lot of screeners, I only got one callback at a mid sized firm in the central valley.

Unless you are URM, IP, or something really special, you are unlikely to achieve much at OCI. You need to work outside the box. OCI is time consuming, and I just am not sure if it's worth your time.

^ Were you IP, URM, or anything unique?

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:24 pm

DildaMan wrote:^ Were you IP, URM, or anything unique?

Nope. Had 2 years of work experience in finance.

I managed to get 15 or so screeners, which is probably better than top 25% should have gotten. But I purposely bid on as many non-SF locations as I could...Hawaii, SoCal, Central Valley, etc. I figured those interviews would be easier to get, and I was correct.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
DildaMan wrote:^ Were you IP, URM, or anything unique?

Nope. Had 2 years of work experience in finance.

I managed to get 15 or so screeners, which is probably better than top 25% should have gotten. But I purposely bid on as many non-SF locations as I could...Hawaii, SoCal, Central Valley, etc. I figured those interviews would be easier to get, and I was correct.

I see. About the same here with 3 years non-legal WE.

cu_arsenal

Postby cu_arsenal » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:30 am

I would say your chances are slim to none (current 3L at UCH).

I was just on the wrong side of top 35% last year, but I actually had a significant upwards trend (3.0-->3.5) and I worked for a 9th Circuit judge my 1L summer. I tried to pick up as many interviews as possible and I crashed about 12 more. I ended up with 1 callback (Federal PD) and I didn't get the position (nor did I really want it, to be fair). I even crashed an interview with a big SF firm, was told by the interviewers that I gave the best interview/pitch they saw that entire day and I still didn't get a callback.

Bottom line is that grades are everything for OCI. Just try to improve your grades as a 2L and if you made a journal or are on moot court, that would be helpful for some midsize firms. Also, try to apply as early as possible to midsize firms if you want that kind of summer job. They are tough to get in this economy, but not impossible.

Best of luck. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Last edited by cu_arsenal on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:33 am

cu_arsenal wrote:I would say your chances are slim to none (current 3L at UCH).

I was just on the wrong side of top 35% last year, but I actually has a significant upwards trend (3.0-->3.5) and I worked for a 9th Circuit judge my 1L summer. I tried to pick up as many interviews as possible and I crashed about 12 more. I ended up with 1 callback (Federal PD) and I didn't get the position (nor did I really want it, to be fair). I even crashed an interview with a big SF firm, was told by the interviewers that I gave the best interview/pitch they saw that entire day and I still didn't get a callback.

Bottom line is that grades are everything for OCI. Just try to improve your grades as a 2L and if you made a journal or are on moot court, that would be helpful for some midsize firms. Also, try to apply as early as possible to midsize firms if you want that kind of summer job. They are tough to get in this economy, but not impossible.

out of curiosity - what are you doing this summer? (another rising 2L)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:39 am

Current Hastings 3L at V-50 with LR, no MC.

It will be an uphill battle for you to get an OCI position, but I don't think it's impossible. I personally know two students from my class that went into OCI in the top 30% range who ended up in big firms. That being said, one of them had a ridiculous high GPA her 1L fall, and the other one had major, MAJOR connections (think close relative is a partner at a big firm). Polish your interview skills, pick up as many OCIs as you can, network like crazy, and hope for the best.

Good luck!

cu_arsenal

Postby cu_arsenal » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:47 am

Working at a midsize commercial litigation firm in LA. I'm actually getting a ton of amazing research experience and I've only worked on real matters (including some cases in the mid 8 figures). In many ways, I think that working at a midsize firm is better because there's no real coddling that big firms might give. The firm I am at expects you to do the work efficiently and I've done everything from drafting pleadings to doc review to appellate strategy to deposition prep/involvement.

Certainly the pay at a large firm is nice and the benefits as an SA are fantastic, but the lifestyle at one once you become an associate is completely different. I am of the opinion that the amount of money you make at those firms is not always worth it when you compare it to your quality of life. Obviously everyone's personality is different and circumstances for people may make the big law life more attractive, but I'm not necessarily one of those people (now, that said, I am applying to a few 3L OCI firms and I have absolutely no problem working 12-14 hours per day).

Just my personal thoughts.

ilovesf wrote:
cu_arsenal wrote:I would say your chances are slim to none (current 3L at UCH).

I was just on the wrong side of top 35% last year, but I actually has a significant upwards trend (3.0-->3.5) and I worked for a 9th Circuit judge my 1L summer. I tried to pick up as many interviews as possible and I crashed about 12 more. I ended up with 1 callback (Federal PD) and I didn't get the position (nor did I really want it, to be fair). I even crashed an interview with a big SF firm, was told by the interviewers that I gave the best interview/pitch they saw that entire day and I still didn't get a callback.

out of curiosity - what are you doing this summer? (another rising 2L)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:41 am

OP here,

wasn't expecting replies now, considering it's about a month later, but it's appreciated.

i used every oci bid i could, but obviously chances are gonna be slim at even non bay mid size or cali only firms. in light of that, starting monday i plan to mass mail every mid size firm in all the big cities in california. then i'll focus on my home state. maybe if i mass mail a good 200+ firms something will happen. the career office actually has a sheet with all the small/mid size firms in the state so i plan to just basically mail each one that has at least 30sh people. i think i should at least have a decent shot? i'm mass mailing on time and have a big application pool...

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here,

wasn't expecting replies now, considering it's about a month later, but it's appreciated.

i used every oci bid i could, but obviously chances are gonna be slim at even non bay mid size or cali only firms. in light of that, starting monday i plan to mass mail every mid size firm in all the big cities in california. then i'll focus on my home state. maybe if i mass mail a good 200+ firms something will happen. the career office actually has a sheet with all the small/mid size firms in the state so i plan to just basically mail each one that has at least 30sh people. i think i should at least have a decent shot? i'm mass mailing on time and have a big application pool...

Mass mailing has an incredibly low yield. Did you apply to BADCF or SFIPLA? Did you attend networking events like the Women's IP Association Mixer/In House Counsel MCLE? I met quite a few lawyers there that were willing to forward my resume onto their firms or their friend's firms.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:07 pm

DildaMan wrote:

Mass mailing has an incredibly low yield. Did you apply to BADCF or SFIPLA? Did you attend networking events like the Women's IP Association Mixer/In House Counsel MCLE? I met quite a few lawyers there that were willing to forward my resume onto their firms or their friend's firms.

Where'd you hear about these mixers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:37 pm

OP here -

I'm not focused only on IP, i know how hard it is to get into that practice area with no science background. i'm also considering employment/labor law and corporate. as for badcf, i have two interviews (1 lottery, 1 pre select) so i guess it's within the theoretical realm of possibility i could do exceptionally well in the interview but obviously im not counting on that.

i've been networking, and definitely aim to continue networking through the fall. i made some contacts through hastings events and definitely plan to continue that + go to sf bar events and lectures.

A couple of partners at various firms said they'd forward my resume to the recruiter so i'll at least get looked at in a couple of firms, but even with a partner who will vouch for me i think my grades might just be too low.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:13 pm

ilovesf wrote:
DildaMan wrote:

I get emails about it all the time from the CSO.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:15 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
DildaMan wrote:

I get emails about it all the time from the CSO.

Weird. I signed up for like every e-mail list imaginable and I haven't gotten any of them.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here -

I'm not focused only on IP, i know how hard it is to get into that practice area with no science background. i'm also considering employment/labor law and corporate. as for badcf, i have two interviews (1 lottery, 1 pre select) so i guess it's within the theoretical realm of possibility i could do exceptionally well in the interview but obviously im not counting on that.

i've been networking, and definitely aim to continue networking through the fall. i made some contacts through hastings events and definitely plan to continue that + go to sf bar events and lectures.

A couple of partners at various firms said they'd forward my resume to the recruiter so i'll at least get looked at in a couple of firms, but even with a partner who will vouch for me i think my grades might just be too low.

How can you tell if the BADCF was a pre-select or a lottery interview? I picked up two interviews as well and a few alternates.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:17 pm

ilovesf wrote:Weird. I signed up for like every e-mail list imaginable and I haven't gotten any of them.

Hmmm... did you sign up for the IP club? I get a lot of IP related emails from them. I get a lot of APALSA/ABA emails too.

Return to “Legal Employment”