Turning networking into an offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turning networking into an offer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Need some strategy advice.

Went to a networking event where I was the only law student. Really hit it off with a couple partners at the same firm, one from the office where my school is, one from the market where I'm working. The partner from my school's market gave me her card and has since offered to act as a mentor. I would love to get started on the recruitment process and interview here before I go back to school for OCI. What should I do? Should I ask if it's possible for her to put in a good word for me if I apply to this office? Should I ask her to forward my resume? I don't want to be too pushy but I'm aware that firms aren't the fastest-moving beasts and I head back to school in early August.

TL;DR: how to turn an offer of 'mentorship' into an offer for a job in a different market (where I did meet some of the lawyers)?

Re: Turning networking into an offer

Postby aca0260 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Relevant to my interests

Postby barestin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Postby Renzo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:55 pm

When people talk about "networking," you should hear the words "making friends." You wouldn't ask, "I just hit it off with a guy in my bowling league; which of his tools should I borrow first?" Don't approach a professional contact with that attitude either. It's about building a relationship, not extracting favors from them.

The way you turn your "networking" into a job is to find people that you share interests with, keep in contact with them, ask them for advice when you need it, let them know what you are doing, and generally try and build a substantial relationship. If that works out, your "mentor" should be aware of what you are doing with your life, and what you are trying to accomplish, such that if they think they can help you they will offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”