Slightly Above Median at UCLA/UT/Vandy (Rising 2L)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Slightly Above Median at UCLA/UT/Vandy (Rising 2L)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm a rising 2L at UCLA/UT/Vandy. I'm sitting a notch above median and did better second semester than first semester. I'm from the market in which my school is located and wish to work for a mid- to large-sized firm in this market after graduation.

I'm curious as to what I should be doing to prepare for my 2L SA search at this point. My school has released the firms coming to 2L OCI, but there are dozens of mid-sized firms which are not attending.

Should I be drafting cover letters for all of these firms? When should I begin mailing them? Randomly contacting attorneys at these firms and taking them out to lunch? Anything else I should know? I really don't want to miss the boat on this.

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Re: Slightly Above Median at UCLA/UT/Vandy (Rising 2L)

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Any chance of making law review via write-on ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Above median with law review at UCLA/UT/Vanderbilt is not a bad place to be. You need to wait until law review appointments are made, in my opinion, before planning a strategy.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Any chance of making law review via write-on ?

Possible, but not for sure. Obviously hopeful, but not holding my breath. Secondary journal is likely, at least.

OP here -- I didn't write this. Kinda weird that someone would act like they're me...

Anyway, I'm not counting on a journal. Let's assume I don't get one.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:45 pm

Only current law students or recent graduates of these particular law schools can offer the best advice, in my opinion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:46 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Only current law students or recent graduates of these particular law schools can offer the best advice, in my opinion.

Yeah, I figured as much. Hopefully some of them will find their way into this thread. Thanks!

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 am

Since you're anonymous, can you just say the school? UT's not the same as Vandy or UCLA (though your comment about being unlikely to get on a journal leads me to believe it's not UT, unless you just didn't do the write-on), and the home markets for each could not be more different.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:56 am

philosoraptor wrote:Since you're anonymous, can you just say the school? UT's not the same as Vandy or UCLA (though your comment about being unlikely to get on a journal leads me to believe it's not UT, unless you just didn't do the write-on), and the home markets for each could not be more different.

Vandy.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 am

If y are slightly above median and from TN, you should be able to find something.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:19 am

Above median at Vandy from TN has a solid shot at firms in Middle TN, though not most Nashville biglaw firms. You're gonna have to do a lot of your own research and mailing though. Mail around mid July. Recruiting happens slowly in the South. Wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Vandy people at these firms to lunch to talk about their practice areas. Medianland is not a good place to be, because there's just not that many 2L SA type jobs in Middle TN, and the large firms that hire 2Ls (Bass, Baker, Bradley) are extraordinarily competitive. Seriously don't forget about Chattanooga, and expand your search into East and West TN.

Also a lot of people for realize this, but median is probably around a 3.17 and top third is like a 3.3ish. You may be more above median than you think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 am

rad lulz wrote:Above median at Vandy from TN has a solid shot at firms in Middle TN, though not most Nashville biglaw firms. You're gonna have to do a lot of your own research and mailing though. Mail around mid July. Recruiting happens slowly in the South. Wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Vandy people at these firms to lunch to talk about their practice areas. Medianland is not a good place to be, because there's just not that many 2L SA type jobs in Middle TN, and the large firms that hire 2Ls (Bass, Baker, Bradley) are extraordinarily competitive. Seriously don't forget about Chattanooga, and expand your search into East and West TN.

Also a lot of people for realize this, but median is probably around a 3.17 and top third is like a 3.3ish. You may be more above median than you think.

Thanks for the advice. I want to practice in the mid-state, so I'm a little hesitant to apply to firms outside of the area (Knoxville, Memphis, Chattanooga) for a 2L SA. I guess I'll just have to decide whether working exactly where I want to is worth passing up those opportunities. Also, my GPA's in the low 3.2's, so based on what you said, I would guess I'm somewhere in the top 40-45%.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Above median at Vandy from TN has a solid shot at firms in Middle TN, though not most Nashville biglaw firms. You're gonna have to do a lot of your own research and mailing though. Mail around mid July. Recruiting happens slowly in the South. Wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Vandy people at these firms to lunch to talk about their practice areas. Medianland is not a good place to be, because there's just not that many 2L SA type jobs in Middle TN, and the large firms that hire 2Ls (Bass, Baker, Bradley) are extraordinarily competitive. Seriously don't forget about Chattanooga, and expand your search into East and West TN.

Thanks for the advice. I want to practice in the mid-state, so I'm a little hesitant to apply to firms outside of the area (Knoxville, Memphis, Chattanooga) for a 2L SA. I guess I'll just have to decide whether working exactly where I want to is worth passing up those opportunities. Also, my GPA's in the low 3.2's, so based on what you said, I would guess I'm somewhere in the top 40-45%.

Yeah if you limit yourself, there is a solid chance of strikeout. Sucks, but that's Nashville.

Return to “Legal Employment”