Foreign Languages in Demand for Legal Employment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Foreign Languages in Demand for Legal Employment

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:35 am

Which foreign languages are in high demand during EIR, and other recruiting sessions? Anyone know? And if so, for what kinds of jobs/internships?

Anonymous User

Re: Foreign Languages in Demand for Legal Employment

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:36 pm

Still waiting for an answer..

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Spanish for criminal defense. Can probably use any language to your advantage for immigration law, especially spanish. And pirate is absolutely necessary for maritime law. It will largely depend on the area and what foreign language communities are there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:40 am

I am a US citizen. I speak fluent Chinese and some basic Korean. Will this set me apart in the recruiting process during 1L and 2L internships/full time job search?

Macunaíma

Bronze

Post by Macunaíma » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:11 pm

BigLaw firms with offices in Asia usually require fluency in the local language for placement there. Other than that, Spanish is useful for removal defense in immigration practice.

For lawyers, foreign languages are most useful in document review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Japanese would be a plus for patent prosecution

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:04 pm

I was under the impression that foreign language spoken isn't really a plus.

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 pm

In international finance, English still rules EXCEPT in Spanish or Portuguese speaking countries, i.e., South America. There, the finance documents are in Spanish or Portuguese, respectively, with the lenders relying o English translations. Hence, Spanish and Portuguese (Brazilian) would be advantageous for a Latin America practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a US citizen. I speak fluent Chinese and some basic Korean. Will this set me apart in the recruiting process during 1L and 2L internships/full time job search?
From what I've seen, not much unless you can read/write fluently. I put "Mandarin" on my resume without specifying that my reading/writing skills are passable, but nowhere near fluent. On my first day of SA, was asked to translate a big, technical document from Mandarin to English. Needless to say, it sucked to tell the partner "Oh... well I can speak fluently, and may be able to get the translations if I had 8 hours, but I can't just read it and tell you what it says."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a US citizen. I speak fluent Chinese and some basic Korean. Will this set me apart in the recruiting process during 1L and 2L internships/full time job search?
From what I've seen, not much unless you can read/write fluently. I put "Mandarin" on my resume without specifying that my reading/writing skills are passable, but nowhere near fluent. On my first day of SA, was asked to translate a big, technical document from Mandarin to English. Needless to say, it sucked to tell the partner "Oh... well I can speak fluently, and may be able to get the translations if I had 8 hours, but I can't just read it and tell you what it says."
yeah, don't lie about language fluency. CSO told me about a girl a few years back who wrote "fluent in spoken japanese" on her resume after having taken a few semesters of it in undergrad and spending a few months in japan. at her callback at a V10 firm, she met with an associate who was visiting from the tokyo office who decided to switch to japanese halfway through the interview. needless to say, she got demolished and didn't get the job.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which foreign languages are in high demand during EIR, and other recruiting sessions?
High grades

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”