4.0 at UC Hastings as a 1L - do I have a chance for NYC? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

4.0 at UC Hastings as a 1L - do I have a chance for NYC?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Obviously, the top Wall Street law firms don't come to Hastings for OCI, but I'm wondering if I would be considered for NY firms, or if Hastings ranking/reach is too limited.

Is it just a matter of mass mailing the recruiting departments of firms like Davis Polk, Cleary, Cravath, etc? Or would I just get laughed at? What would be realistic firms to target?

I go back and forth whether I want to stay in the Bay Area or go to NYC, too. So if anyone has any arguments for SF v. NY, I'm all ears.

I'm currently working as a summer associate at a well-respected firm in the Bay Area, and thus far, have found corporate work to be a little more interesting than litigation work, but could really go either way.

Any thoughts on what I should be targeting (either NY or SF firms) would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: 4.0 at UC Hastings as a 1L - do I have a chance for NYC?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:17 pm

What are you talking about?
Anonymous User wrote:Obviously, the top Wall Street law firms don't come to Hastings for OCI, but I'm wondering if I would be considered for NY firms, or if Hastings ranking/reach is too limited.
So...you've completely limited yourself to only firms on Wall Street? Is this an honest assessment of the research you've done on your potential employers? Their proximity to the World Trade Center.

Have you even looked into how OCI is conducted at your school? Most schools have some sort of system whereby you apply to a number of firms that have planned to come to the campus and you rank them in order of preference, and the firm in turn may either choose you for a screening interview or reject you. Obviously there are a number of variables based on how your school runs its OCI.

But your ability to apply for jobs in NY is going to depend on firms that attend your school's OCI, and are there to hire for the NY office, and second, your ability to get your resume out to NY area firms that will not visit your school and will accept your resume in consideration of a position.

If you attend school in SF and you're currently working in SF why all of a sudden do you want to go to NY? If you don't know why you should stay in SF or better yet why you should be in NY nobody on here is going to be able to offer up an solid advice.

Personally, I knew I wanted to work in NY so I left the left coast and went to school in East. The market is really tight right now and granted, you're in a good position academically, but you're in the SF market, and you're working. If you can't conjure up a reason to head to NY, to firms you know nothing about, then why is it even a consideration? Why not just shoot for some of the top firms in SF? You seemed poised to be able to snag those offers.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are you talking about?...
I'm not going to out you since it's close between attack/criticism, but you seem to be attacking OP in your post and that is definitely not what anon is for. It's fair to be critical of people even while using anon, but attacks (even borderline ones) are not okay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are you talking about?
Anonymous User wrote:Obviously, the top Wall Street law firms don't come to Hastings for OCI, but I'm wondering if I would be considered for NY firms, or if Hastings ranking/reach is too limited.
So...you've completely limited yourself to only firms on Wall Street? Is this an honest assessment of the research you've done on your potential employers? Their proximity to the World Trade Center.

Have you even looked into how OCI is conducted at your school? Most schools have some sort of system whereby you apply to a number of firms that have planned to come to the campus and you rank them in order of preference, and the firm in turn may either choose you for a screening interview or reject you. Obviously there are a number of variables based on how your school runs its OCI.

But your ability to apply for jobs in NY is going to depend on firms that attend your school's OCI, and are there to hire for the NY office, and second, your ability to get your resume out to NY area firms that will not visit your school and will accept your resume in consideration of a position.

If you attend school in SF and you're currently working in SF why all of a sudden do you want to go to NY? If you don't know why you should stay in SF or better yet why you should be in NY nobody on here is going to be able to offer up an solid advice.

Personally, I knew I wanted to work in NY so I left the left coast and went to school in East. The market is really tight right now and granted, you're in a good position academically, but you're in the SF market, and you're working. If you can't conjure up a reason to head to NY, to firms you know nothing about, then why is it even a consideration? Why not just shoot for some of the top firms in SF? You seemed poised to be able to snag those offers.
This is such a bad post. Yes, OP, those grades can get you NY. Apply broadly and soon. Consider transferring to Harvard (if you don't get in, CN are pretty much locks.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Tons of people say "Wall Street law firms" when they mean "elite Manhattan law firms." I've heard this from practicing lawyers (even at big firms in other markets) and law professors at a T14 school. It seems clear that's what OP meant, and you're just going out of your way to be a dick.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Congrats on the sweet grades OP. I heard from a lot of (now) 3Ls that people usually underbid on NYC firms at our OCI. I'd definitely mention it during interviews if the interview is with a firm that lists multiple locations on the oci thing on hco.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:44 pm

You're an idiot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Yes, I meant elite Manhattan law firms, not proximity to the WTC. In any case...

As for choosing to be in NYC vs. SF, I'm from the Bay Area, and the best school I could get into was UC Hastings, and the only firm that would hire me as a 1L was a SF firm, which is why I'm here.

I don't want to sound like I am anti-Bay Area. SF would be great, and I could see myself deciding to stay here, but the Bay Area is a small market that was hammered pretty brutally during the last recession, so I wanted to broaden my search. I also think I would find the work more interesting in NYC, since I'm interested in finance. The research I've done re: SF firms, it seems that the strength of the Bay Area is litigation and work revolving around IP/tech companies, which are areas I'm not as interested in. Going through Hastings OCI employers list, the NY firms that I am interested in are mostly just doing resume collections or aren't coming.

I guess my original question was, does the UC Hastings brand transfer outside of California? Which firms are more likely to look outside the T14 for students who performed well at lower ranking schools? How else to get them my resume besides a mass mail? For instance, the joke around Hastings is that Paul Hastings would never hire someone from Hastings, no matter how well they do, so I guess I don't want to be Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

And I have sent in transfer applications to some schools, but the process seems like such a crapshoot. So we'll see how that goes. I'm a little hesitant to leave someplace that has worked out pretty well for me so far, plus is still a lot cheaper than transferring to a school like Columbia or NYU. But maybe I'm being crazy thinking that way also...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:15 pm

It doesn't matter whether the "brand" transfers. You have a transcript of all As. That would generate interest at NYC V10s even if you attended a TTT. (And Hastings may not match up to Fordham for NYC, but it is at least better than lower-ranked NYC schools.) True, the major NYC firms rarely see Hastings students even applying, but that might actually be an advantage.

Hustle, of course. You should have applications sent out by early July to all of the major NYC firms, and be sure to call the recruiting offices at each firm to make sure your application gets read. But you will get multiple V10 offers, including even Cravath or SullCrom (probably not Wachtell, but maybe if you have a useful background).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:25 pm

I've known a few students at Hastings that got SA's from fancy ass firms not at OCI, but they had tippy top grades, like you

just mass mail, that will probably enough for a bunch of interviews and offers

I don't even think transferring makes sense if you want NYC BigLaw because you are already "BigLaw secure." Fill out the apps, and then when you get your Chicago, Columbia, or Berkeley admit use it to get a bigger scholarship from UCH.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:44 pm

I'm not sure if it fits within your definition of elite, but I'd definitely mass-mail Cahill if they aren't coming to your OCI. It's very, very likely you'll get a callback if you mass-mail them. They've been more than willing to snatch up people from the Top 5-10% at regional schools.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Find some Hastings grads at NYC firms you'd like to work at. Get them on the phone and ask them how they did it.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 am

damn OP, i'd say you hit the lottery, but that doesn't seem like it would do you justice. congrats on killing it! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, I meant elite Manhattan law firms, not proximity to the WTC. In any case...

As for choosing to be in NYC vs. SF, I'm from the Bay Area, and the best school I could get into was UC Hastings, and the only firm that would hire me as a 1L was a SF firm, which is why I'm here.

I don't want to sound like I am anti-Bay Area. SF would be great, and I could see myself deciding to stay here, but the Bay Area is a small market that was hammered pretty brutally during the last recession, so I wanted to broaden my search. I also think I would find the work more interesting in NYC, since I'm interested in finance. The research I've done re: SF firms, it seems that the strength of the Bay Area is litigation and work revolving around IP/tech companies, which are areas I'm not as interested in. Going through Hastings OCI employers list, the NY firms that I am interested in are mostly just doing resume collections or aren't coming.

I guess my original question was, does the UC Hastings brand transfer outside of California? Which firms are more likely to look outside the T14 for students who performed well at lower ranking schools? How else to get them my resume besides a mass mail? For instance, the joke around Hastings is that Paul Hastings would never hire someone from Hastings, no matter how well they do, so I guess I don't want to be Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

And I have sent in transfer applications to some schools, but the process seems like such a crapshoot. So we'll see how that goes. I'm a little hesitant to leave someplace that has worked out pretty well for me so far, plus is still a lot cheaper than transferring to a school like Columbia or NYU. But maybe I'm being crazy thinking that way also...

Did you apply to Berkeley? Columbia or NYU is not the be all end all for NYC schools. Speaking from experience, transfers to Berkeley from UC Hastings or range schools got offers from MULTIPLE tip top NYC firms. You will do well if you get the screening interviews and are a decent interviewer. I think it will really help if you transfer though because firms can advertise you as a T14 student.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you apply to Berkeley? Columbia or NYU is not the be all end all for NYC firms. Anywhere that can get your the interviews will work. Speaking from experience, transfers to Berkeley from UC Hastings or range schools got offers from MULTIPLE tip top NYC firms (including Sullcrom, Cravath). You will do well if you get the screening interviews and are a decent interviewer. I think it will really help if you transfer though because firms can advertise you as a T14 student.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:03 am

I did apply to Berkeley, so thats good to hear that UC Hastings students do well at OCI there. I was a little concerned how it would look to be a transfer student at OCI, plus I'm concerned about just getting into Berkeley, given that I applied fairly late, and I've read here that Berkeley prefers early applicants.

I was really focused on getting through my finals, and basically did nothing transfer related until after all my finals were over. Thus, it took me a good while to get all my personal statements/LORs in order. Hopefully it works out!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I guess its time for me to start putting cover letters and mass mailing firms!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”