NYU - Bidding Texas Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU - Bidding Texas

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:59 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into how competitive it is to get interviews with Texas firms and/or advice on where to rank Texas firms in the bidding process. I care more about Dallas and Austin firms than Houston firms.

Any information regarding gpa cutoffs would be very appreciated but certainly not necessary.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: NYU - Bidding Texas

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:35 pm

i know a couple people who interviewed succesfully with dallas/houston firms from nyu. i dont think its that competitive as not a lot of nyu kids really want it (unlike sf or la). i dont even think that many came to oci so you may have to mail in apps. the most difficult thing will be showing ties (the people who i knew both grew up in tx). if you can do that, im sure they would love to snag a few top6 students.

i did hear that austin was crazy competitive though as there are very few spots to begin with down there

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Bumping this for any additional insight. I'd love to hear from someone who went through this process.

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:03 pm

this isn't firsthand experience, but I have heard that these cities require specific ties.

for example, I think it's a bit harder to swing dallas if all of your ties are to houston (austin being especially insular). beyond that, however, i think that a lot of these firms are not grade-picky at NYU. I know of a few people with callbacks at BB, F&J, etc. in houston that were definitely below median.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Texas likes ties, though I think that is waning somewhat, with all the "MYGODZLOOKHOWAWESOMETEXASISDOINGITE" articles floating around. Austin is very hard to get. Biglaw firms in Dallas want top 10% from SMU, so I would imagine somewhere between a pulse and median at NYU would be good enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”