Writing Sample

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Writing Sample

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:04 pm

I haven't had much of a chance to produce a writing sample in my various internships and such. For a clerkship, what are people's thoughts on the following:

1) I have my 1L memo, which I have cleaned up a lot. It's about 9 pages and analyzes two issues. It's pretty good, but it's obviously a 1L memo from the issues presented.

2) I also have a memo I did working for the US Attorney's Office. I have their permission to use it. It's an analysis of the procedures and rules regarding a particular type of motion under federal criminal procedure. The attorney had no idea how it worked, and asked me to research it.

The 1L memo has more issues and case law in it, and therefore more analysis. The other memo doesn't have as much case law and I had to pull a lot of it from the rule itself and the advisory committee notes, that sort of thing.

I like the 1L memo because it has more analysis, but the other memo is shorter and to the point on a single issue. Thoughts on which might be better?

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship Writing Sample

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:09 pm

I would suggest going with the 1L memo. That's what I used, and I landed a district court clerkship in SDNY/DDC/EDNY/CD Cal.

Return to “Legal Employment”