Day(s) Off as an SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How to take off for interview program

Take off Thursday, tell them what it's for, make up time on wknd
7
33%
Take off Thurs and/or Fri, say it's for something else, make up time
10
48%
Don't take off, thank Jesus for having a job at all, and forget about NY
4
19%
 
Total votes: 21

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:10 am

I'm in a bit of a bind. There is an off campus interview program for my school in NY that I really want to participate in, and I think I may have an alright shot there. The interview day takes place on a Thursday, however, and I will be in the middle of an SA gig when it takes place.

The SA I'll be working at is in a secondary market. Would definitely be open to working at this firm next year and beyond, but I also want to see what's out there for me in NY

What is the best way to approach this with my employer? Should I just take off Thursday and fly up there Wed night and come back Thurs night? Should I make up an excuse or just be honest about what it's for?

I of course would be willing to work a weekend or two to make up for the lost time, but I don't want to look awful for doing this.

Advice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:31 am

also should add, the reason I say maybe take off Fri in addition to Thurs in option 2 is that, should I make up an excuse, it seems it would be easier to just take off both days. Could say I have a family reunion or something. I feel like it would be easier to come up w/ believable excuses that way...

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:44 am

Need more info. Are you a 1L or a 2L? What's your summer firm's historic offer rate? If you miss this interview program are you going to get a chance to interview with these firms again on campus or is this it?

I probably wouldn't do it but that's just me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 am

I'm a rising 2L. Most of the NY firms at this off campus program will not be at our OCI, so this would probably be my only chance to interview with them. The firm I'm summering at is a small firm (dozen or so attorneys) and is not market paying. Not sure what their offer rate is.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 am

Just be honest with them and ask for the days off with a promise to make up the time on the weekend(s).

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2L. Most of the NY firms at this off campus program will not be at our OCI, so this would probably be my only chance to interview with them. The firm I'm summering at is a small firm (dozen or so attorneys) and is not market paying. Not sure what their offer rate is.

Oh, in that case I'd go to the interview program.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2L. Most of the NY firms at this off campus program will not be at our OCI, so this would probably be my only chance to interview with them. The firm I'm summering at is a small firm (dozen or so attorneys) and is not market paying. Not sure what their offer rate is.

Most firms that hire 1Ls know that they will be participating in their school's interview programs before 2L year. Just tell them and go.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:21 pm

I think I'm just gonna be honest w/ them. 1--I'm not a very good liar; 2--I don't think there's anything wrong w/ this so long as I make up the hours to them.

If anyone has direct experience w/ a similar situation, I'd love to hear from you. But, I thihnk I'm just going to go tell the atty who runs the summer program the truth when I go in.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Yeah, I would just request the day off and go. You may be able to take the day without explanation for a "prior commitment," but I wouldn't be dodgy about it. The firm should be aware that you'll be doing OCI, and shouldn't have a problem with letting you go.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby wiseowl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Renzo wrote:Yeah, I would just request the day off and go. You may be able to take the day without explanation for a "prior commitment," but I wouldn't be dodgy about it. The firm should be aware that you'll be doing OCI, and shouldn't have a problem with letting you go.


Trying to be coy will backfire when either someone from the firm or someone who knows the firm sees you there. Just be a grown up about it and things should be fine.

If they have a problem with it, they're free to make you an offer before you leave.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Day(s) Off as an SA

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:42 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Renzo wrote:Yeah, I would just request the day off and go. You may be able to take the day without explanation for a "prior commitment," but I wouldn't be dodgy about it. The firm should be aware that you'll be doing OCI, and shouldn't have a problem with letting you go.


Trying to be coy will backfire when either someone from the firm or someone who knows the firm sees you there. Just be a grown up about it and things should be fine.

If they have a problem with it, they're free to make you an offer before you leave.


I agree that being coy would backfire, and that's what I meant about not being dodgy. And it's better to err on the side of seeming straightforward. I was just trying to say that it might be possible to be completely straightforward by asking something along the lines of "Who would I need to talk to about having one day off on [date] for a prior commitment?" Maybe they would ask, maybe not. But in no circumstances would I advise being coy, cagey or embarrassed about letting people know what you're doing if you ask.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.