Vacation time during federal clerkships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Vacation time during federal clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:06 am

I'm curious whether most judges tend to follow a similar policy when it comes to allowing (or not) their clerks vacation time or time off for interviewing with post-clerkship employers, in addition to federal holidays.

Anonymous User

Re: Vacation time during federal clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:06 am

also curious about this, but more generally, what is vacation time like as a federal clerk (specifically district court)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Pretty positive there is a standardized benefits package for clerks, though I could be wrong.

I get a total of 11 days paid off. But I know there are judges who "would really like for you to come in today" 365 days of the year, so how long you can take a vacation for depends on the judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:40 pm

There are two basic approaches, which judges -- not clerks -- elect. First, some judges put their clerks under the Leave Act. See --LinkRemoved--. These clerks receive a specific number of days off, usually one per month worked, and may either use the days off or cash them out at the end of the clerkship. Of course, clerks still must get the judge's approval to use a day off. In some clerkships, such authorization is hard to come by or nonexistent. After all, the job is a one-year gig, and often a busy one at that. Some judges take the view that you can vacation afterwards and that the job should be your #1 priority for the whole year.

The second approach is for the judge to exempt his clerks from the Leave Act. This approach means that the judge can give as many or as few days off as he likes, and that clerks receive no credit for unused days at the end of the clerkship. In some cases this might mean more time off than under the Leave Act, but as a practical matter, most judges that exempt their clerks do so with the intention that clerks take little or no vacation.

The practice varies from one judge to the next, so research will pay off. In general, clerks should go in expecting to take very little vacation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:06 pm

From my experience in a district court, and my friends who have district court clerkships, this isn't at all true. It may be different for COA, but based on my limited knowledge and own experience as a district court clerk, you'll be able to take vacation for job interviews without much of a problem.

Kenobi

Postby Kenobi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:27 pm

it sounds like the answer varies widely by judge. OP asked specifically about time off for employment, though. anyone know about that? i thought some judges are squeamish about conflicts and don't want you interacting too much with firms.

emma dcosta

Postby emma dcosta » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 am

SPAM

Return to “Legal Employment”