Top 1/3 at NU going for California Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 1/3 at NU going for California

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:20 am

Hey there,

I'll be attending the Bay Area Diversity Fair, and I have little idea on how to rank the firms - any tips?

No idea on whether I'd like to do corporate or litigation...

Anonymous User

Re: Top 1/3 at NU going for California

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey there,

I'll be attending the Bay Area Diversity Fair, and I have little idea on how to rank the firms - any tips?

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey there,

bump
Sorry to jump in on the the band wagon, I am in the same boat as the OP (different GPA). But I have a more general question, is there any disadvantage to interviewing with a firm at a diversity fair if the same firm is already coming to NU's OCI?

OP, just to share my current thinking. I figure if a firm looks to be particularly popular at NU (for example, they have a historically low median CB GPA) I plan to bid on them at the diversity fair because there is a chance I will not get them through the OCI lottery. Otherwise I have no clue as to how to rank the firms for the diversity fair and would love to hear some strategy from others.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 am

Just FYI, there are a few CA firms/offices doing the CCBA minority job fair (OMM, Jones Day SF, etc).

I'm pretty sure the BADCF is 100% preselect, but I could be wrong on that count. If that's true then I don't think ranking matters. I was wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 am

Anonymous User wrote: ... if a firm looks to be particularly popular at NU (for example, they have a historically low median CB GPA) I plan to bid on them at the diversity fair because there is a chance I will not get them through the OCI lottery.
Do you determine popularity by the # of slots they have? Or some other metric?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:56 am

bk187 wrote:Just FYI, there are a few CA firms/offices doing the CCBA minority job fair (OMM, Jones Day SF, etc).

I'm pretty sure the BADCF is 100% preselect, but I could be wrong on that count. If that's true then I don't think ranking matters.
Hmm, then it's really important for me to figure out whether Bay Area does preselect. Thanks bk

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:59 am

bk187 wrote:Just FYI, there are a few CA firms/offices doing the CCBA minority job fair (OMM, Jones Day SF, etc).

I'm pretty sure the BADCF is 100% preselect, but I could be wrong on that count. If that's true then I don't think ranking matters.
This year the BADCF is 75% pre-select, 25% lottery so ranking does matter.

Confirmation email from BADCF: "Interviews will be scheduled through a hybrid pre-selection/lottery system. Once employers review your application materials, they will pre-select students for the 75% of their interview schedule. The final 25% of the schedule will be chosen by lottery."

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:This year the BADCF is 75% pre-select, 25% lottery so ranking does matter.

Confirmation email from BADCF: "Interviews will be scheduled through a hybrid pre-selection/lottery system. Once employers review your application materials, they will pre-select students for the 75% of their interview schedule. The final 25% of the schedule will be chosen by lottery."
Thanks for the clear up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: ... if a firm looks to be particularly popular at NU (for example, they have a historically low median CB GPA) I plan to bid on them at the diversity fair because there is a chance I will not get them through the OCI lottery.
Do you determine popularity by the # of slots they have? Or some other metric?
I just read some old TLS posts that mention how certain firms were hard to get through OCI because the NU Career Office OCI callback GPA chart shows the firm giving call backs to ppl with relatively low GPA. I imagine if the firm's median callback GPA is a 3.8 a lot of ppl would be scared away from bidding them. On the other hand, firms that have call back GPA median in the 3.3-3.4 range would get lots of bids.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 am

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This year the BADCF is 75% pre-select, 25% lottery so ranking does matter.

Thanks for the clear up.
Any advice on whether it is better to do diversity fair interview instead of OCI if a firm is coming to both?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:37 am

Always do the fairs / on tour interviews. There is no negative impact doing the fair.

That frees up spots for you to bid NYC or wherever as a backup

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:18 am

DallasCowboy wrote:Always do the fairs / on tour interviews. There is no negative impact doing the fair.

That frees up spots for you to bid NYC or wherever as a backup
Does this still hold true if you are part of a student group at the law school that certain firms have actively targeted / recruited? For example, something like the IP student group, or JD with other advanced degrees or JD with a specific work experience (I don't want to give away the anonymity so I am just listing a whole bunch of scenarios). I know that some firms are specifically coming to my law school to recruit for students in a particular group; therefore, would it be better to interview with these firms during OCI as oppose to the diversity fair where they might not be keeping an eye out for these affiliations?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on whether it is better to do diversity fair interview instead of OCI if a firm is coming to both?
I'm not sure if it's better to do it at one or the other, my guess is it's not a big difference either way.

My plan is to try and snag all the interviews I can wherever they come from. Since things are staggered, I'll basically try and get firms at either BADCF or CCBA and then bid for OCI based on what I didn't get. Not sure if our bid results will get released in time for that (haven't looked at the timeline in a while).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:32 am

OP here,

How are you all coming up with your bidlists? Purely through career center's 2009-10 stats + the firm criteria that they briefly touch on (e.g. law journal, moot court preference)?

lucield

New

Post by lucield » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 pm

i was wondering - since its a hybrid approach with 25% lottery, if we aren't selected is it considered okay to email the employers who didn't select us? (bc there is a slight lottery element to it)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”