Top third at lower T14, aiming for Chicago

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top third at lower T14, aiming for Chicago

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:58 am

Top third at a (non-NU) lower T14, and I'm not sure what I can reasonably expect. Want corporate/transactional, preferably in Chicago (but if Chicago isn't gonna happen, I'd certainly be willing to fall back on NY). K-JD.

What am I looking at in terms of reaches, targets, and safeties in Chicago? And if anyone would like to humor me, I'm also very curious about reaches, targets, and safeties in NY.

Many thanks, TLS.

bdubs

Re: Top third at lower T14, aiming for Chicago

Postby bdubs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:05 am

Chicago ties?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:13 am

Knew I forgot something. Very strong ties to the Midwest, and good ties to Illinois specifically, but pretty limited ties to Chicago itself. Though I think I can still spin a solid "Why Chicago."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Bump. Any help with Chicago (or NY, for that matter) would be greatly appreciated.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Which firms are coming to your OCI?

K&E and Sidley would probably be somewhat of reaches from NU. I would imagine they are a little more selective with other non-Chicago lower T14 schools (but I guess it could cut the other way too since they are really popular here).

Jenner, Latham, Mayer, MWE, Skadden, and Winston all seem like sizeable Chicago offices that would be good to target from your position, although i wouldn't limit my list to firms in that league if I were you.

NY is more obvious I would think. Doesn't your school have a pretty good set of callback info for NY firms?

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Chances might be slightly better if you're at Michigan.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Appreciate the help. At a non-midwestern school. We don't have a huge abundance of Chicago firms coming to OCI, but we seem to have a good chunk of the "big names" represented (I believe we have all of the firms in your post).

Honestly, your list is better than I thought it would be - so that's certainly encouraging. I would consider myself very fortunate to land in any of the firms you mentioned.

At the risk of outing myself, my CSO keeps GPA data separated by Vault range (e.g. 1-10) for each market. But the data is averaged over the last three years. So I wasn't sure if that average might skew things a little bit (particularly in a market like Chicago).

Anyway, I really appreciate the help. Please keep 'em coming.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the risk of outing myself

Not sure why you think you're the only person at your school who might possibly want to interview in Chicago. I would imagine that every T14 has at least a handful of students who are interested in interviewing in Chicago, or else the firms wouldn't even bother recruiting for those offices outside of NU and Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:14 pm

bdubs wrote:

Not sure why you think you're the only person at your school who might possibly want to interview in Chicago. I would imagine that every T14 has at least a handful of students who are interested in interviewing in Chicago, or else the firms wouldn't even bother recruiting for those offices outside of NU and Chicago.

That's not what I was referring to at all. "Outing myself" was in reference to the CSO's records (GPA data by vault range, averaged across three years). Dunno if other lower T14s record GPA data the same way.

Anyway, appreciate the help, everyone.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:

That's not what I was referring to at all. "Outing myself" was in reference to the CSO's records (GPA data by vault range, averaged across three years). Dunno if other lower T14s record GPA data the same way.

Anyway, appreciate the help, everyone.

I meant it might be helpful to identify your school. Letting us know what school you go to is not going to out you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 pm

bdubs wrote:I meant it might be helpful to identify your school. Letting us know what school you go to is not going to out you.

I mean, does it really matter? I'm at a non-midwestern lower T14, aiming for Chicago. I don't recall one such school having stronger placement in Chicago than any other, but I guess I could be missing something. I'm not at GULC, if that helps.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:I meant it might be helpful to identify your school. Letting us know what school you go to is not going to out you.

I mean, does it really matter? I'm at a non-midwestern lower T14, aiming for Chicago. I don't recall one such school having stronger placement in Chicago than any other, but I guess I could be missing something. I'm not at GULC, if that helps.

The reason I would do it would be to get feedback from rising 3Ls or graduates at your school who might know people who interviewed in Chicago in prior years.

The other reason is there may be tangible differences. For example, it might be harder to sell someone on the midwest ties from Cornell (which is basically an NYC feeder) than it would be from Duke (which doesn't have a home market per se). Virginia, while not having much better NALP stats is probably viewed a bit differently than DCG. If you're at Berkeley then I really have no idea, as I don't think I've ever seen a Boalt grad in Chicago.

Return to “Legal Employment”