How should I frame my GPA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How should I frame my GPA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:47 am

My school only provides GPA cutoffs of the top 10%, 33% and median. My GPA is around the top 14% at a 3.71. This looks pretty good without anything frame of reference. However, our top 10% is like a 3.79. If I were to list the top 10%, it wouldn't look as good. Should I just list my GPA on my resume or... what? List both the top ten and 33%?

vegeta

Re: How should I frame my GPA?

Postby vegeta » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:12 am

One of my law clerks had something kind of like this. She was one or two spots out of top 10%.

List your GPA. The next to it, say: Top 10% - 3.79.

You can get other people's thoughts on this, too. This is only one way I've seen it.

Anonymous User

Re: How should I frame my GPA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:33 am

OP here. Well, the issue is, if I don't list the top 10% cutoff, people might assume that I'm top ten or close to it, considering my fairly good GPA. However, I fear that listing the actual cut off would suggest that I'm low that I am. So I'm wondering whether I should just report my GPA without a reference point.

Return to “Legal Employment”