Which V20 Firms Hire Down to Median? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which V20 Firms Hire Down to Median?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm a few hundredths above median at a T14 (maybe ~45%?) and interested in corporate transactional at OCI. I realize my targets should be V20-100 firms with 30+ class sizes, but I've read in a few prior threads that throwing in a few V20 firms also makes sense.

Which V20 firms will hire down to median if the screener/callback is a good fit? And which have firm cutoffs at ~3.5 and aren't worth the bid?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Which V20 Firms Hire Down to Median?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:47 pm

jones day. maybe sidley.

thats probably it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:03 pm

shearman is another obvious answer if it's still in the v20. latham and weil are also not that grade-selective.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Debevoise DC and White & Case.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:jones day. maybe sidley.

thats probably it.
Jones Day in certain offices (probably not Chicago or DC).
Sidley in certain offices (probably not Chicago or DC).
Latham in certain offices (probably not Chicago or DC).
White & Case.

Median at lower T14 isn't sniffing any of the other firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:22 pm

I know at least 3 people at/below median at CCN that got Davis Polk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:25 pm

I know a couple people around / below median at CCN who got Cravath.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 pm

kirkland. i know ppl at CCN below median there, and they apparently hire down to 3.4 at gtown.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:11 pm

wait a second? Why is no one asking which school? Aren't all these answers meaningless without knowing if we are talking about Gtown or Stanford here?
So, OP, what school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:36 pm

if you tell paul weiss you want corporate, theyll go below median i believe. they have a tougher time filling up their corp dept than other v20, esp considering their corp dept has been growing steadily these last few years

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if you tell paul weiss you want corporate, theyll go below median i believe. they have a tougher time filling up their corp dept than other v20, esp considering their corp dept has been growing steadily these last few years
This was supposed to be the credited answer to Paul Weiss at OCI, but pretty much everybody at my school got this exact same advice and a ton of people expressed an interest in corporate. Turned out not to be the best move. The firm is still very much a litigation powerhouse with the corporate department as a little bit of an afterthought. While that's shifting somewhat, the partners still know what their current bread and butter is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:32 pm

OP here, and it's lower T14.

Corporate work experience (although not quite banking / MBB consulting level) and a good narrative for why it fits with my interest in corporate transactional. Any other firms that might give preference to someone looking corporate?

Also, to clarify my OP, I know these aren't my targets. I just recall reading in threads that median at lower T14 has occasionally resulted in V10s. These firms also have a large number of OCI slots, so I'm hoping a low bid will give me the chance to sell my work experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, and it's lower T14.

Corporate work experience (although not quite banking / MBB consulting level) and a good narrative for why it fits with my interest in corporate transactional. Any other firms that might give preference to someone looking corporate?
SullCrom

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:if you tell paul weiss you want corporate, theyll go below median i believe. they have a tougher time filling up their corp dept than other v20, esp considering their corp dept has been growing steadily these last few years
This was supposed to be the credited answer to Paul Weiss at OCI, but pretty much everybody at my school got this exact same advice and a ton of people expressed an interest in corporate. Turned out not to be the best move. The firm is still very much a litigation powerhouse with the corporate department as a little bit of an afterthought. While that's shifting somewhat, the partners still know what their current bread and butter is.
This is probably largely true, but I also believe that PW has been doing 3L OCI for corporate the last several years. They may only want to poach refugees who had SAs at other firms and wanted to trade up or get into different practice areas.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, and it's lower T14.

SullCrom
SullCrom won't even look at you if you're at a lower T14 unless you're at least close to the top 10% (maybe down to top 15%).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”