Top 20% at UT- Geographic strategy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 20% at UT- Geographic strategy

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm in the top 20% at UT (on the cusp of top 15% and may be there depending on how my last grade comes in)

Born and raised in Dallas, but have lived in Austin for the last 6 years (including undergrad). Don't really want to go back to Dallas, but would do it if it was the only place I could get a job. My geographic preference is something like

1. Austin
2. NY/LA/SF/Portland/Seattle (realizing the last 2 are probably a pipe dream)
3. Dallas

Should I use OCI to try and secure a Dallas or Austin job and just mass mail my resume to the other markets? Do I even have a chance at the other markets? There are some NY/LA employers at OCI, but I don't know if I would be wasting bids to go for them when I could just mass mail them on my own and use OCI to try and secure a Dallas offer. Not a URM, and no IP background

TYIA

nonprofit-prophet

Re: Top 20% at UT- Geographic strategy

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the top 20% at UT (on the cusp of top 15% and may be there depending on how my last grade comes in)

Born and raised in Dallas, but have lived in Austin for the last 6 years (including undergrad). Don't really want to go back to Dallas, but would do it if it was the only place I could get a job. My geographic preference is something like

1. Austin
2. NY/LA/SF/Portland/Seattle (realizing the last 2 are probably a pipe dream)
3. Dallas

Should I use OCI to try and secure a Dallas or Austin job and just mass mail my resume to the other markets? Do I even have a chance at the other markets? There are some NY/LA employers at OCI, but I don't know if I would be wasting bids to go for them when I could just mass mail them on my own and use OCI to try and secure a Dallas offer. Not a URM, and no IP background

TYIA

Hey I'm also a UT rising 2L. Isn't there a NYC job fair before OCI? I've heard people get NY jobs through that and they don't have to use OCI bids on it. Not sure what kind of grades it takes to get a nyc offer though. I think with top 20% grades you shouldn't have a problem getting a Dallas job; no need to use a ton of bids on Dallas firms (but use them strategically). Therefore, you should have some bids to use on NYC through OCI if the job fair falls through

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:52 pm

yeah i saw that NY fair...it's definitely something I'd be interested in. Only problem is that it is on a Wed, and I have a 2nd half SA, and I would feel weird asking for Thurs and Fri off to go do that. I may have to come up with an excuse, though, b/c it does seem like a good way to reach out to NY employers w/o using bids on them.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:22 pm

If you want NY, definitely try and make it out to the NY Job Fair. Most of the firms there aren't at OCI. Despite TLS common wisdom, NYC biglaw doesn't necessarily require higher grades compared to TX biglaw.

Return to “Legal Employment”