Below median at Mich

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Below median at Mich

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:36 pm

3.04 at Mich (Does anyone know what Mich's median is? Around a 3.19, right?). No journal, but solid resume up until law school. Grades were a smattering of B+'s and B's with one killer C+. (Had a really rough year and plan on busting ass 2L to get top grades in doctrinal courses but sadly that doesn't make a difference unless I do 3L OCI). I would love to be in DC but I realize that is unrealistic, what do you advise for my bidding strategy? After DC, I would love to be in NYC. Do I have a shot at BigLaw in NYC?

In terms of practice areas, as of now, I don't really have a compelling or sellable interest in anything besides civil rights/constitutional law/employment law/government/regulatory (public law and policy).

And thoughts on backup options (alternatives to OCI?) Just mass mail mid-sized firms in NYC and DC? What about DOJ honors or other governmental jobs - do I have a reasonable shot at any of those? How competitive are they? Also, I am in DC for the summer.

Thanks so much in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Below median at Mich

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:05 pm

Interested in Mich median too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Median's slightly higher than the mean GPA just because of how the numbers work out. Another thing to keep in mind is that there's is a big cluster around the median because fewer Cs are given out than As. The rough bell curve targets that professors need to follow are on the umich website somewhere, you can look it up. A 3.04 is well below the median unfortunately, it's closer to the 20th percentile. About half the 1Ls are clustered between 3.1 and 3.3. I hope that helps.

I had a 3.25 my 1L year and one of the counselors told me that was just above the median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Forget DC. Place your highest bids on the places with the largest summer classes that are you in your GPA range (this probably means NY). Check NALP for firms not coming to OCI that are in states and cities you are well connected to. Apply to those places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The rough bell curve targets that professors need to follow are on the umich website somewhere, you can look it up. A 3.04 is well below the median unfortunately, it's closer to the 20th percentile. About half the 1Ls are clustered between 3.1 and 3.3. I hope that helps.

This sounds about right.

At a 3.04, you're going to have to hustle like crazy to get anything. Just concentrate on getting a job. You're in no position to be picky. Try to network over the summer, mail as many firms as possible, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The rough bell curve targets that professors need to follow are on the umich website somewhere, you can look it up. A 3.04 is well below the median unfortunately, it's closer to the 20th percentile. About half the 1Ls are clustered between 3.1 and 3.3. I hope that helps.

This sounds about right.

At a 3.04, you're going to have to hustle like crazy to get anything. Just concentrate on getting a job. You're in no position to be picky. Try to network over the summer, mail as many firms as possible, etc.

Damn. Ok thanks a lot - when you say "to get anything" - does that mean even non-firm jobs? Any info out there on how competitive 2L summer jobs in the gov't or with the ACLU, etc. are?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Fed Gov't jobs in DOJ are just as competitive (if not more competitive) than the firm jobs you may be considering.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This sounds about right.

Damn. Ok thanks a lot - when you say "to get anything" - does that mean even non-firm jobs? Any info out there on how competitive 2L summer jobs in the gov't or with the ACLU, etc. are?

Obviously firm jobs are going to be best. But a non-firm job is better than being unemployed....

2L summer jobs in government and public interest that you might actually have a shot at offer a slim (potentially nonexistent) shot at a post-graduation job. The really prestigious ones, you can forget about.

Start leveraging every possible connection that you have. Family, friends, undergrad alumni, anything. Try to meet people who might give you an in.

If I were you, I would be concentrating on midlaw in any market that I might be able to bullshit a reason to be in. Maybe make a go for the least-selective biglaw firms (think places like Schulte, Kaye Scholar, Hughes Hubbard, Dechert, Cadwalader, etc.) but I wouldn't expect much. The goal now is to find a job that won't force you to move back in with your parents (and if that sounds harsh, I know a guy with a GPA slightly above yours from Michigan Law who just had to do this).

Return to “Legal Employment”