3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:30 am

With all spring grades in, I'm sitting at about a 3.55 at Vanderbilt. Does this make me competitive for biglaw in ATL (think-Alston, Troutman, etc) and South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale and Miami)? I have some ties to ATL (some family members and friends live there) and more ties to South Florida.

I'm trying to figure out which firms I should focus on and determine my chances at OCI. I'm not sure, but I believe my GPA puts me right inside the top 20%.

Thanks in advance

EllaLemry
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: 3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby EllaLemry » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:48 am

Obviously, it would be better if you were at a T14. But, the grades are definitely solid and IMO those grades at Vandy as just as impressive as the same average at Duke or UVA. For ATL, I think you chances are good. You'll need to spam the hell out of employers (I'm low T14 so I don't know how many interviews you get for OCI--but I'd give you even money for a BigLaw SA based on OCI. I'd give you much better chances if you did your own footwork).

I lived and worked in Miami Beach before LS. I seriously doubt you'd have a shot there. It's a very insular network (mostly top of the class at a T14 or UMiami and other Florida schools--I know that's weird but so is Florida). Also, if you don't speak Spanish, that's a liability. I'd focus on ATL if you just want the south, however, you should be proud of those grades and it wouldn't hurt to try Boston or NYC.

On the whole, you deserve a BigLaw shot. I think if you're proactive, you'll get one. However, the grades (while great) are not good enough coming from Vandy to bank on OCI. You can make this happen, you'll just need to work for it.

Kudos on a good 1L year.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:50 pm

EllaLemry wrote:Obviously, it would be better if you were at a T14. But, the grades are definitely solid and IMO those grades at Vandy as just as impressive as the same average at Duke or UVA. For ATL, I think you chances are good. You'll need to spam the hell out of employers (I'm low T14 so I don't know how many interviews you get for OCI--but I'd give you even money for a BigLaw SA based on OCI. I'd give you much better chances if you did your own footwork).

I lived and worked in Miami Beach before LS. I seriously doubt you'd have a shot there. It's a very insular network (mostly top of the class at a T14 or UMiami and other Florida schools--I know that's weird but so is Florida). Also, if you don't speak Spanish, that's a liability. I'd focus on ATL if you just want the south, however, you should be proud of those grades and it wouldn't hurt to try Boston or NYC.

On the whole, you deserve a BigLaw shot. I think if you're proactive, you'll get one. However, the grades (while great) are not good enough coming from Vandy to bank on OCI. You can make this happen, you'll just need to work for it.

Kudos on a good 1L year.

No fucking shit Sherlock it would be better of he was at a T14. It would be better for you if you were at Yale. That's not advice.

Poster is right that banking on OCI is stupid. At Vandy, 25% of people got jobs from OCI, but about 55% of c/o 2013 has a SA somewhere I'd estimate.

Grades are very competitive. You are almost assuredly top 20%. It's not as bleak as above poster makes it out to be. Real good shot. ATL is grade sensitive, but you have the grades to make you attractive. Most of those firms show up at OCI, but not all. Mail the ones that don't before OCI. Not a lot of Miami firms show up to OCI, so if you're there now, get to mass mailing and try to set up interviews before OCI. Jax, Orlando, and Tampa are parochial, but if you're from FL, your GPA should get looks.

Also think about NYC bro.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:11 pm

thanks for the advice, all. Quick follow-up-do I have an outside shot at any DC firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Your GPA should definitely get you an interview at Alston & Bird. They place great emphasis on personality and fit, so they are willing to go a bit lower in the class to find the best candidates for their culture. Your 3.55 is well above their floor. Vandy c/o 2013 has 3 people at Alston & Bird this summer -- all have GPAs similar to yours. You should look them up and talk to them. They can give you some insider info on how to sell yourself.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Your GPA should definitely get you an interview at Alston & Bird. They place great emphasis on personality and fit, so they are willing to go a bit lower in the class to find the best candidates for their culture. Your 3.55 is well above their floor. Vandy c/o 2013 has 3 people at Alston & Bird this summer -- all have GPAs similar to yours. You should look them up and talk to them. They can give you some insider info on how to sell yourself.


OP, here.

Any ideas on how to look them up? Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Your GPA should definitely get you an interview at Alston & Bird. They place great emphasis on personality and fit, so they are willing to go a bit lower in the class to find the best candidates for their culture. Your 3.55 is well above their floor. Vandy c/o 2013 has 3 people at Alston & Bird this summer -- all have GPAs similar to yours. You should look them up and talk to them. They can give you some insider info on how to sell yourself.


OP, here.

Any ideas on how to look them up? Thanks.


Ctrl+f the Recruitment Handbook for the c/o 2013 on the Career Services page of the Intranet (it might not be updated yet, but it certainly will be by the time OCI bidding starts). Just so you know, one of your 1L classmates is also an SA at Alston & Bird, so you should reach out to that person as well. But if I were you, I would reach out to everyone. The more info you can get, the better.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Any advice for separating yourself from the pack if you're mass-mailing non-OCI firms? Seems like Vandy's median is lower than most comparable schools and I've convinced myself that firms that don't come to Vandy OCI, or regularly deal with Vandy students, don't have a good sense of that. Is there a non-douchey way to emphasize that a 1/10 higher GPA at a school like UT is required to be in the same % of your class? Or am I over-thinking this and/or not giving firms enough credit?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for separating yourself from the pack if you're mass-mailing non-OCI firms? Seems like Vandy's median is lower than most comparable schools and I've convinced myself that firms that don't come to Vandy OCI, or regularly deal with Vandy students, don't have a good sense of that. Is there a non-douchey way to emphasize that a 1/10 higher GPA at a school like UT is required to be in the same % of your class? Or am I over-thinking this and/or not giving firms enough credit?

Firms know. Be sure to put the semesters you made deans list, if any.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3.55 at Vandy-Thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for separating yourself from the pack if you're mass-mailing non-OCI firms? Seems like Vandy's median is lower than most comparable schools and I've convinced myself that firms that don't come to Vandy OCI, or regularly deal with Vandy students, don't have a good sense of that. Is there a non-douchey way to emphasize that a 1/10 higher GPA at a school like UT is required to be in the same % of your class? Or am I over-thinking this and/or not giving firms enough credit?


Firms are given that info each year. If you're concerned, though, it might be wise to ask your career counselor/Dean Workman if they can pass along information to the firm you are applying to. But our career services is really on top of this -- can't imagine they'd let employers' misconceptions of our grading scale stand for too long.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.